WalMart Ends PT Benefits, Fred Salivates

Borderline 9.5

Here's another something that could be coming down the pike. Some companies offer an additional 2 to 3 dollars per hour in lieu of medical benefits. Maybe a good deal if you can stay healthy, but a bad deal if you don't. A serious illness would wipe most people out. I can see FedEx attempting this angle in the future.

I think this would be for couples who both have insurance. If you have that option you could choose who has the better insurance and save the company money by not duplicating
the benefit.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Here's another something that could be coming down the pike. Some companies offer an additional 2 to 3 dollars per hour in lieu of medical benefits. Maybe a good deal if you can stay healthy, but a bad deal if you don't. A serious illness would wipe most people out. I can see FedEx attempting this angle in the future.

This is something that I have always thought UPS should offer to their PT employees.

The Teamster's are getting the funds to pay for Part-time insurance and they use that to fund Full-Time insurance (and who knows what else).
I was surprised the Teamsters gave up the P/T insurance funding for the first year.
P/Timers are younger (under 26 and covered by parent's plan) and rarely use their insurance benefits like us older beaten down employees.

TUT

Like I said, you don't "get" FedEx.

I knew every thing you listed pretty much. What you don't understand is that isn't centric to just Fedex. You are institutionalized if you believe that. Fedex is far from the worst case (like UPS), the worst case companies have shutdown in America and moved out of county. Guess what those employees got? The got something worse then what you listed. I agree it's all BS, but it's not about a single company, this is the story of a country.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I knew every thing you listed pretty much. What you don't understand is that isn't centric to just Fedex. You are institutionalized if you believe that. Fedex is far from the worst case (like UPS), the worst case companies have shutdown in America and moved out of county. Guess what those employees got? The got something worse then what you listed. I agree it's all BS, but it's not about a single company, this is the story of a country.

I fully agree that FedEx is not unique in the corporate world. There are lots of lousy places to work. However, FedEx continues to present itself as being unique (as in a great place to work), when it is, in fact, not unique. It sucks, as in working for WalMart also sucks. If you actually worked here, you'd truly understand the extent of suckage.

vantexan

FedEx doesn't have the option to move overseas. A guy in India can't deliver in Minnesota. Beyond that though is what MFE said. You really get tired of having people smile in your face and tell you how much they care and how lucky you are to work for them. Words mean little when everything they do is stripping away your future piece by piece.

vantexan

I didn't know a company MUST offer medical benefits.

I've known plenty of people with bad backs, bad knees, hernias, and other injuries doing this job. If FedEx didn't offer healthcare then they'd have to pay alot better to attract people willing to risk their health.

vantexan

And they all do that to. Welcome to PR 101.

FedEx strives to get on "best places to work" lists. Years ago FedEx was on a 100 best places to work list in Forbes(or was it Fortune)Magazine. They pointed out that FedEx couriers start out at $34k a year! That didn't sound right and then it hit me. They told the magazine what couriers start out at in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area, which has the highest payscale, only paid in that area. So FedEx manipulated the situation to their advantage in hopes of attracting newhires. It's this slight of hand that gets the word spread around that we make big money.

bbsam

Staff member
They don't have to. But the ones that do offer it as a means of attracting and retaining quality employees. You're starting to sound like a Libertarian crackpot.
This was true shortly after WW II, but soon came to be common to one degree or another but has declined rapidly over the last couple of decades to the point we are at today: when companies can look the employee in the eye and say, "Be happy you have a job to go to."

LTFedExer

They don't have to. But the ones that do offer it as a means of attracting and retaining quality employees. You're starting to sound like a Libertarian crackpot.
So how did you get a job there?
I've known plenty of people with bad backs, bad knees, hernias, and other injuries doing this job. If FedEx didn't offer healthcare then they'd have to pay alot better to attract people willing to risk their health.

So lets see if I got this right. FedEx doesn't have to offer you medical benefits, but since they do, you complain its not enough. That sound right?

If I don't like the prices in 1 store, I go shop somewhere else. If I don't like the company I work for, I find another job .

vantexan

SSo lets see if I got this right. FedEx doesn't have to offer you medical benefits, but since they do, you complain its not enough. That sound right?

If I don't like the prices in 1 store, I go shop somewhere else. If I don't like the company I work for, I find another job .

Do they have to? No. But I signed on when they offered a traditional pension and company paid healthcare for the employee. That's what they were offering in exchange for my productivity. Do you think these companies offer us jobs out of the kindness of their hearts? In order for them to make money they need us to go out and do the work. That's what we bring to the table and that has value, no? Oh, and I was told I would top out in 7 or 8 years too? Do you think making false promises is ok as long as you get what you want? Ask any young lady what that results in. But in your book whatever the company does is fine and if we don't like it go elsewhere. I've got alot more years in than you bub, been screwed over many more times than you, and I'll put my numbers up against yours any time. So I think I've earned the right to say they can do better by us. And if you don't like that too bad. Nothing but a shill.

TUT

FedEx strives to get on "best places to work" lists. Years ago FedEx was on a 100 best places to work list in Forbes(or was it Fortune)Magazine. They pointed out that FedEx couriers start out at $34k a year! That didn't sound right and then it hit me. They told the magazine what couriers start out at in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area, which has the highest payscale, only paid in that area. So FedEx manipulated the situation to their advantage in hopes of attracting newhires. It's this slight of hand that gets the word spread around that we make big money.

Yep again common stuff. I do know what you mean and I do know that Fedex really is image conscience and loves these types of lists. But that is just the sign of a successful PR dept. Plenty of other companies do and others would be happy doing the same things for any good pub. I'm sure Big Brown loves to toot it's horn every chance it gets as well. But I agree, too bad it's not always truthful.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yep again common stuff. I do know what you mean and I do know that Fedex really is image conscience and loves these types of lists. But that is just the sign of a successful PR dept. Plenty of other companies do and others would be happy doing the same things for any good pub. I'm sure Big Brown loves to toot it's horn every chance it gets as well. But I agree, too bad it's not always truthful.

FedEx has a masterful PR Department. The point is that FedEx actually was a great company to work for, which is no longer the case. As far as the public knows, we are all happy campers who absolutely love FedEx, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Some ignorant employees actually still believe the hype, which is genuinely sad.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So how did you get a job there?

So lets see if I got this right. FedEx doesn't have to offer you medical benefits, but since they do, you complain its not enough. That sound right?

I could probably run circles around you on the job. I am very good at what I do, and Fred gets more than his money's worth. Like I've said, I'm on the way out. The insurance is crap, but it actually saves me money to continue to work there (as a part-timer) as few hours as possible, and make my real income elsewhere. When I downgrade, it will cost FedEx money, because it's highly unlikely they can hire someone else that can match my level of productivity. Fred's loss.

LTFedExer

Do they have to? No. But I signed on when they offered a traditional pension and company paid healthcare for the employee. That's what they were offering in exchange for my productivity. Do you think these companies offer us jobs out of the kindness of their hearts? In order for them to make money they need us to go out and do the work. That's what we bring to the table and that has value, no? Oh, and I was told I would top out in 7 or 8 years too? Do you think making false promises is ok as long as you get what you want? Ask any young lady what that results in. But in your book whatever the company does is fine and if we don't like it go elsewhere. I've got alot more years in than you bub, been screwed over many more times than you, and I'll put my numbers up against yours any time. So I think I've earned the right to say they can do better by us. And if you don't like that too bad. Nothing but a shill.
Couriers were topping out in 5-6 years before I got there. So, if you've been there 'alot more years' than me, you would be topped out. Shill my foot, I'm a courier just like you and I speak what I think and feel, just like you. To use your words, 'And if you don't like that too bad'.
I could probably run circles around you on the job. I am very good at what I do, and Fred gets more than his money's worth. Like I've said, I'm on the way out. The insurance is crap, but it actually saves me money to continue to work there (as a part-timer) as few hours as possible, and make my real income elsewhere. When I downgrade, it will cost FedEx money, because it's highly unlikely they can hire someone else that can match my level of productivity. Fred's loss.
I'm damn good at what I do. I never claimed to be 'the best' and I'm under no illusion that I am. They get their moneys worth with me to. So far, every route that I've been on for a year or more has had its numbers upped. Pisses off the swings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Would better pay, quicker topout and better benefits be nice? Yes. Would it bring in 'better people'? Yes. The problem is I/we do not run the company. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and say 'gimme, gimme, gimme'. But, it's not not that easy when your the one shelling out the money. Do you give your kids/wife money every time they ask for it? I doubt it. Do you spend money every time you have the urge to buy something? Doubtful. You think about tomorrow and make sure the money will still be there to pay the bills. So do the higher ups. Sorry if its not to your liking.

vantexan

Couriers were topping out in 5-6 years before I got there. So, if you've been there 'alot more years' than me, you would be topped out. Shill my foot, I'm a courier just like you and I speak what I think and feel, just like you. To use your words, 'And if you don't like that too bad'.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Would better pay, quicker topout and better benefits be nice? Yes. Would it bring in 'better people'? Yes. The problem is I/we do not run the company. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and say 'gimme, gimme, gimme'. But, it's not not that easy when your the one shelling out the money. Do you give your kids/wife money every time they ask for it? I doubt it. Do you spend money every time you have the urge to buy something? Doubtful. You think about tomorrow and make sure the money will still be there to pay the bills. So do the higher ups. Sorry if its not to your liking.

I got rehired in '98. Couriers weren't topping out in 5 to 6 years. And you don't get that the company isn't struggling to pay bills. It's trying to increase it's profits. They can do better, should do better. Poor, poor company. Bless their little hearts. You defend everything they do because you have a vested interest such as being a mgr. You're no courier.

LTFedExer

I got rehired in '98. Couriers weren't topping out in 5 to 6 years. And you don't get that the company isn't struggling to pay bills. It's trying to increase it's profits. They can do better, should do better. Poor, poor company. Bless their little hearts. You defend everything they do because you have a vested interest such as being a mgr. You're no courier.
Please don't give me the 'I'm there longer than, so I know more than you'. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. There's a whole bunch of couriers that have TWICE, or more, time as I do but know absolutely diddly about anything but being a courier. I was a temp in 12/99. But, my permanent status started in 01/00. So, you've only been there a year (?) longer than me. Unless you count whatever time before you left. Depending on the amount of time between leaving and coming back, you shouldn't have started over. But, that's beyond my scope of knowledge.

Isn't the object of a company to increase profits? If FedEx were losing money, we wouldn't be here discussing this, would we? Did you happen to notice what happened to FedEx Freight? It's turning a profit again after the layoffs. Could they have gone a different direction instead of layoffs, I don't know. Do you have money in the bank? I'm sure you do. You save it for a big purchase, for your retirement or some other reason. If you spent every dime you have extra every month, where would you be tomorrow? Just remember while MANY companies were laying off thousands or even shutting down, Express laid off nobody. Managers and up took pay cuts, couriers/agents did not get raises, purchases slowed/stopped, etc but we're still working. You want your raise? OK, then the guy next to you will be laid off. But, remember, it might be the other guy getting the raise and you getting laid off.

Listen.....I didn't go to college. I don't consider myself smart. But, what I do have is common sense. I've been 'blue collar' since the day I was stuffing the main section into the Sunday newspaper when I was 15, 30 years ago. I look at companies like me running my household. I have X amount of money coming in, Y goes to expenses and Z goes into savings. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But, until someone shows me a better way, that's how it is.

vantexan

Please don't give me the 'I'm there longer than, so I know more than you'. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. There's a whole bunch of couriers that have TWICE, or more, time as I do but know absolutely diddly about anything but being a courier. I was a temp in 12/99. But, my permanent status started in 01/00. So, you've only been there a year (?) longer than me. Unless you count whatever time before you left. Depending on the amount of time between leaving and coming back, you shouldn't have started over. But, that's beyond my scope of knowledge.

Isn't the object of a company to increase profits?...

That's just it, I have been there longer than you. I've experienced very low pay when they were announcing record profits and not giving us topped out employees raises year after year. You actually refused to believe that I was only getting $13.50 as a topped out employee but I lived it. My mistake for quitting to be sure, but at $17.64 after almost a full 13 years I'm making less than that $13.50hr in 1998 after you adjust for inflation. I've also stated here that all I'm after is to be topped out and am not asking for UPS pay and benefits. And you've said bull, I want much more than that. So let's recap, you think you know what happened in the past when you don't, and you know better what's in my mind than I do, knowing what I want even after I've stated numerous times what I want.

Our execs, like execs everywhere, are given stock options. If they increase profits investors will buy our stock for the dividends. The demand for the stock will drive the price of the stock up, which will allow the execs to exercise their options and make a very tidy profit for themselves. Those that already own alot of stock, like Fred S, are happy because they not only get increased dividends but their net worth goes up and if they sell some stock they can pull even more cash out. That's what it's all about. And everything they've done in the last 17 or so years concerning employees is to see just how much they can take from us while pushing us to be more productive and thus be more profitable and enrich themselves. If you can't see this then I don't know what else I can say.