Walmart same day vs amazon same day vs Starbucks wino.....

TheDick

Dang these guys are scary consolidating business like that, anybody seen the robots amazon uses in their where-houses to move orders(tall pallets with robot pallet jacks?)
Is that what happen to CACH?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Dang these guys are scary consolidating business like that, anybody seen the robots amazon uses in their where-houses to move orders(tall pallets with robot pallet jacks?)
Can't wait 'till my bid job is " PD-3 robot operator/ robot wash"

Is this the start of Skynet?
Maybe but don't you remember DHL ?? They fell and they were bigger than us remember? In the USA we are the Roman Empire and we are a few centuries away at least from our demise. I always joke about logistics but DHL tossed our salad we gave them a dirty Sanches plus we painted their face. Logic isn't always ups but logistically I'm betting the boys in Atlanta will kill this right quick. We are ups we are the best the rest WILL crumble. Watch

UPSGUY72

They are all depending on the Post office to deliver there package the same day. I don't see that working out to well especially on the post office end they are going to have to hire more people an pay a lot more OT and still aren't going to be able make it work..

They are all depending on the Post office to deliver there package the same day. I don't see that working out to well especially on the post office end they are going to have to hire more people an pay a lot more OT and still aren't going to be able make it work..
It's a logistical impossibility.

UPSGUY72

It's a logistical impossibility.

It could be done in certain areas however in order for it to work 1 of three things are going to have to happen if not all three. 1. The shipper is going to have eat the cost of increased shipping cost. 2. The post office is willing to loose more money just to say they can deliver same day packages. 3. The Buyer is will to pay a small fortune for same day service.

OptimusPrime

Maybe but don't you remember DHL ?? They fell and they were bigger than us remember? In the USA we are the Roman Empire and we are a few centuries away at least from our demise. I always joke about logistics but DHL tossed our salad we gave them a dirty Sanches plus we painted their face. Logic isn't always ups but logistically I'm betting the boys in Atlanta will kill this right quick. We are ups we are the best the rest WILL crumble. Watch

Seemed they went the Wal Mart route. Rock bottom pricing, but rock bottom service, and *GASP* no one seemed to enjoy that. The problem is/was is that the Wal Mart price model works because you have a lot of people willing to endure the crap service, but no means to want better service. They will wade through the cesspool, put up with slow checkout, etc, because that's what they can afford.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

DHL Express in the US fell, because they tried to get in the US domestic market on the cheap by buying out a bunch of small companies, which was full of fail in a bunch of ways

long term, Deutsche Post DHL is a formidable opponent, since they don't have to pay for expensive labor agreements

bluehdmc

DHL Express in the US fell, because they tried to get in the US domestic market on the cheap by buying out a bunch of small companies, which was full of fail in a bunch of ways

long term, Deutsche Post DHL is a formidable opponent, since they don't have to pay for expensive labor agreements

I believe DHL was unionized.
DHL is a combination of a few companies, DHL itself specialized in airfreight to the orient.
The Deutsche Post part was a privitization of the German Post Office.

As far as buying smaller companies both Fedex and UPS have done that.

UPS bought Emery which is now UPS cartage.

Fedex Ground was Roadway Express, Fedex Freight was Watkins Motor Lines and I think another freight company.

Justaname

I don't now why people wouldnt just want to go to the store themselves to get their items. Seems only convenient for the elderly. I don't see this lasting to long but who knows.

bluehdmc

I don't now why people wouldnt just want to go to the store themselves to get their items. Seems only convenient for the elderly. I don't see this lasting to long but who knows.

If you get Amazon Prime, for $70 something a year you get free 2 day shipping. You can borrow books and I believe movies on a Kindle. The pricess are very competitive, you can do it in 5 min from the convenience of wherever you are at 2am, don't have to get in the car, drive to Walmart and deal with the Walmart people. (If you don't know what that is go to youtube).

You can order just about anything from Amazon, I'm sure they're providing some competition for Walmart and a lot of others.

When I first heard of Home Shopping Network, I was very doubtful, but they've been very successful.

Justaname

If you get Amazon Prime, for $70 something a year you get free 2 day shipping. You can borrow books and I believe movies on a Kindle. The pricess are very competitive, you can do it in 5 min from the convenience of wherever you are at 2am, don't have to get in the car, drive to Walmart and deal with the Walmart people. (If you don't know what that is go to youtube).

You can order just about anything from Amazon, I'm sure they're providing some competition for Walmart and a lot of others.

When I first heard of Home Shopping Network, I was very doubtful, but they've been very successful.
I understand amazon, but it's the Walmart same day shipping that gets me. I just don't see the point if it's available at my local Walmart then why wouldn't I just drive there. Amazon is different because it originated as an online retail.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I laugh when people use the self checker at the grocery store, then go out and bitch about the unemployment rate. If there is a human available, I take the extra step to engage their services vs a machine.

bluehdmc

I laugh when people use the self checker at the grocery store, then go out and bitch about the unemployment rate. If there is a human available, I take the extra step to engage their services vs a machine.

I refuse to use the self checker, if they were to discount my groceries I might, since I'm doing their work for them. One grocery store by me has more self checkers than regular ones. I don't shop there.

Unfortunately semi-skilled labor like picking and packing is going to go the way of assembly line manufacturing. Robots don't take sick days, are consistent, unlike people that have a bad day, no benefits, all you need is one person to fix them. I work at a place that had automatic milling machines, one machine in 20 min could do the work 5 different machinists would take all day. All you needed was 1 person to program the machine and a semi skilled operator to mount the raw piece press start and remove it and start over when it was finished.

Just think of how many receptionists have lost their jobs with automated phone systems.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I try to use the auto checker and invariably it will call an attendant for assistance. Kind of defeats the purpose. I use it and look up produce and all.