Want Ads in the Sunday Paper

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
While scanning the paper in the help wanted section I had to do a double take when I saw the ad for Seasonal Driver Helpers. This is only the second time in 20 years or so I have seen a UPS ad in our regional newspaper. Are there ad's in the Metropolitan Areas ferquently??

LKLND3380

While scanning the paper in the help wanted section I had to do a double take when I saw the ad for Seasonal Driver Helpers. This is only the second time in 20 years or so I have seen a UPS ad in our regional newspaper. Are there ad's in the Metropolitan Areas ferquently??

About two years ago I saw an ad for UPS FEEDER drivers in a Chicago suburb paper...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
About two years ago I saw an ad for UPS FEEDER drivers in a Chicago suburb paper...

I can't remember seeing want ads anywhere--Chicago, Denver or anywhere else. But I wouldn't be surprised if they put want ads out. How else do you reach your target audience? -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The package cars now have "help wanted" signs in the windshield. They say call or see this driver.

Is this a joke? The only time I see 'help-wanted' signs on the road are on big-rigs--CFI, Werner, etc. I've never seen them on UPS equipment. Is UPS getting that desperate?? -Rocky

UPS Lifer

Every District employs any technique they feel is necessary to get the help they need to staff their operations. Every area has local conditions that vary. So each HR department decides the best approach for hiring. These best practices are shared throughout the company.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
That`ll teach you. Watch out for the one from the government on world traveling ,meet interesting people,warm climates.

LOL....I've seen those. I saw one from the U.S. government just last week extolling the virtues and benefits of living in metro DC--Virginia, etc. I'd like to visit Richmond and a couple other places in Virginia but living there....not so sure about that (no offense, Area 43). -Rocky

sendagain

I remember in my district they went by a homeless shelter seeking helpers. That was the year I got the alcoholic helper on my truck that took 4 tries to scan a barcode. One day with that guy felt like a year. I got so fed up with helpers I refused to use them the last few years on the job.

wadep

Here in Alberta Canada the basic stock job interview consists of a hand shake and a check for a pulse. Not just at U.P.S. but everywhere.

LKLND3380

I can't remember seeing want ads anywhere--Chicago, Denver or anywhere else. But I wouldn't be surprised if they put want ads out. How else do you reach your target audience? -Rocky

It wasn't an ad in a major paper but one of those little neigborhood rags... I picked it up in a TGIFridays type places while waiting for a table... But they were looking for feeder drivers... I think I may have saved it because I was going to show some people down here how they do it up north... LOL

Hangingon

We have helpers already, have had them for a few days. According to the center manager this is a deal worked out with the local, but when this contract passes it will be nationwide.

LKLND3380

I remember in my district they went by a homeless shelter seeking helpers. That was the year I got the alcoholic helper on my truck that took 4 tries to scan a barcode. One day with that guy felt like a year. I got so fed up with helpers I refused to use them the last few years on the job.

:scared:NO WAY!:w00t:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have helpers already, have had them for a few days. According to the center manager this is a deal worked out with the local, but when this contract passes it will be nationwide.

What kind of a Local would want Helpers put on early so routes will be cut out and Driver's sent home? Thats what has been happening here, the Split Cars are not put in to load up Driver/Helper Teams. We still do not have the volume to use Helpers, IE forces our Center to put them on. Its total insanity. I have not seen anything in the Contract about using Helpers year round, that was refused by the Teamsters. I will quit if that insane plan happens.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It wasn't an ad in a major paper but one of those little neigborhood rags... I picked it up in a TGIFridays type places while waiting for a table...

I know the type you're talking about. There are something like a dozen in the western suburbs--Naperville, Lombard, etc--alone. Mostly ads BUT they did have a pretty good classifieds section. I stopped reading the one my parents got before I started high school in the Fall of '99. They were bad enough by that point. -Rocky