warning letter for misloads

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a steward you just crossed the line by directing the workforce, you do not have the right to tell any ups employee that they should slow down, a steward directing the workforce is a dischargeable offense.

You are splitting hairs here. He was not directing the workforce. He was simply telling the OP to make sure that he compares the PAL with the address label and to ensure that he is walking in to the right PC.

deleted9

Then slow down and make 100% sure of every package on every car, You will get in alot more trouble for misloads than for speed.

That is what he said........ not splitting hairs............. i read #12 .......... a person can be efficient and productive at the same time, one without the other is not a fair days work for a fair days pay.....

deleted9

You shoild file a grievance for every formal discipline. If you don't you accepted it. Even if nothing comes of the grievance(most of the time warning letters just go down as "Warning letter Protested") It will be in the record that you did not agree in case there is further discipline in the future. It's hard to argue that someone does not deserve a suspension if they received a warning letter and agreed to it by not grieving it. The company expects a grievance for all discipline so it will be no surprise to anyone.

The grievance procedure is not in place for a free for all, there are consequences to actions if you srew up there are consequences, if a person is told( as i am reading this here) to grieve everything, that is real bad advice and information. Here is what i mean by that, i know someone that grieved everything and every discipline. Thought like so many on here that they were untouchable. That person was eventually discharged for overall record, everything was brought out at the arbitration, all the discipline and rebuttle from the employee. The arbitrator ruled in the companies favor by upholding the discharge of the employee, and the reasoning was( this is not a quote, just a summary) that it was quite obvious that the negativity of the employee by his own admittance, that employee was not acting in the best interest of the company. If i remember correctly that employee was not just a rookie had double digits in years of service.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The grievance procedure is not in place for a free for all, there are consequences to actions if you srew up there are consequences, if a person is told( as i am reading this here) to grieve everything, that is real bad advice and information. Here is what i mean by that, i know someone that grieved everything and every discipline. Thought like so many on here that they were untouchable. That person was eventually discharged for overall record, everything was brought out at the arbitration, all the discipline and rebuttle from the employee. The arbitrator ruled in the companies favor by upholding the discharge of the employee, and the reasoning was( this is not a quote, just a summary) that it was quite obvious that the negativity of the employee by his own admittance, that employee was not acting in the best interest of the company. If i remember correctly that employee was not just a rookie had double digits in years of service.

And what does any of that have to do with filing a grievance?

stoni24

thanx for all the replies. Hearing alot about slowing down, be 100% sure i'm on the right car, compare labels ect. that all sounds great but I can't figure out how to compare labels and make sure i'm on the right car while we're getting 2100 packages in the first hour!! The only way I can fix it is to slow down and miss at least 5% of my boxes and make other peoples lives hell farther on down the belt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

thanx for all the replies. Hearing alot about slowing down, be 100% sure i'm on the right car, compare labels ect. that all sounds great but I can't figure out how to compare labels and make sure i'm on the right car while we're getting 2100 packages in the first hour!! The only way I can fix it is to slow down and miss at least 5% of my boxes and make other peoples lives hell farther on down the belt.

Relax--they have tugs for that.

grgrcr88

I will repeat my statement, you will get in alot more trouble for inaccuracies than you will for production. To be clear again, I am not telling you or anyone else to dog it intentionally, just saying make 100% sure of every package you put in a truck. Work as efficiently as possible while still being EFFECTIVE!!!

JonFrum

Ask your steward to have your Business Agent come in at the most revelant time and observe your impossible situation.

Always remember Mamagement is entitled to mismanage the operation any way they want. It's their company, not ours. Your job is to work efficiently, accurately, safely, and work as instructed.

Don't ask for the flow to be slowed down. Instead ask your BA to get official instruction from management on what to do with all the excessive packages that come your way. Make management responsible for their decisions to run the operation in a certain way at a certain pace. The excessive packages are their responsibility. Make them accept that responsibility.

Of course, if they say to let the packages go by, that will only make someone else's job miserable down stream. So the BA should also ask management what that employee should do with his excessive packages. And so on down the line.

This will document and bring attention to the problem before you get hit with another Warning Letter, rather than waiting until after the fact.

22.34life

As a steward you just crossed the line by directing the workforce, you do not have the right to tell any ups employee that they should slow down, a steward directing the workforce is a dischargeable offense.
right now no one is the "workforce" and no one is a "steward"and he has the right to say whatever he damb well pleases,last time i checked none of us are on the clock.now if he was on company time maybe your point would be valid,but right now we are not.

deleted9

right now no one is the "workforce" and no one is a "steward"and he has the right to say whatever he damb well pleases,last time i checked none of us are on the clock.now if he was on company time maybe your point would be valid,but right now we are not.

correct me if i'm wrong, a steward is on call for their members 24/7, i have heard stewards tell the members to call them anytime they need to, on the clock or off, so to your point anything that is told to the employee by the steward regarding UPS is in fact the responsibility of the steward.

grgrcr88

correct me if i'm wrong, a steward is on call for their members 24/7, i have heard stewards tell the members to call them anytime they need to, on the clock or off, so to your point anything that is told to the employee by the steward regarding UPS is in fact the responsibility of the steward.

So take m out, Good luck with that in front of a panel. "Yes Mr. Chairman, I read on the internet that he posted anonymously that someone should do something. Get a grip dude.

By the way I did not tell anyone to screw the company, thats the last thing I want. Get a life.

deleted9

So take m out, Good luck with that in front of a panel. "Yes Mr. Chairman, I read on the internet that he posted anonymously that someone should do something. Get a grip dude.

By the way I did not tell anyone to screw the company, thats the last thing I want. Get a life.

Not according to your post

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not according to your post
get a grip, he was saying to double check his preloading, the pal label and car he/she is putting it into. This obviously will take a tick or two longer and therefore it is only naturally given: THE EMPLOYEE WILL SLOW DOWN SLIGHTLY DUE TO CHECKING THEIR WORK BY DEFAULT. :knockedout::knockedout:

stoni24

no we don't have tugs. It's a small center with one belt. Missed packages are sent back up the belt after add/cuts.

stoni24

I will repeat my statement, you will get in alot more trouble for inaccuracies than you will for production. To be clear again, I am not telling you or anyone else to dog it intentionally, just saying make 100% sure of every package you put in a truck. Work as efficiently as possible while still being EFFECTIVE!!!

I've noticed that is what the veteran employees do and I should do more of. One co-worker had at least 50 boxes on the end of the belt last week. he's a good worker and loaded most of his boxes. He loaded all he could without reaching the "breaking point". I loaded all of my boxes and missed hardly any but had misloads and a brand new warning letter!