Warning Letter!

Packmule

Definately overtaxed most times. They are always cutting 2 to 3 more routes than they should. Someone is always way overloaded, but they play quite the shell game with the 9.5 grievance proceedure, beating most of the time. That is why I would love to see it tossed out completely, and a structured overtime rate negotiated. 8-9.5 hours, time and a half. 9,5-10.5, double time. 10.5 and up, tripple time. It is the only way to make the company start paying the price for reckless overloading from the first minute of the first day. I may need 3 overloaded days to file, but I only need one to cause and accident or injury.

tourists24

Makes you wonder about what? Supervisors do OAO's all the time. (On Area Observations) I work in a small center with a center manager/PDS/On-car so they must be creative when they do OAO's as we all know what kind of cars they drive. One day my on-car pulled up behind me at a stop in his wife's car.
We have insane amounts of On Area Obs at my center. It has gotten only slightly better in the past few months. As far as noticing the cars, they cured that. They have rental cars to ride around in to do their observations. About 5 per week and different ones each week. Thats why my attitude has changed so much about using common sense and customer service issues.

HomeDelivery

Right. You see dually tracks and you know it was a UPS package car that made them? How do you know the driver and helper were waiting for a sup? Did you actually pull up and ask them what they were doing?

If you pulled your stupid rental truck up to me after an accident , I would tell you to get out of my face and mind your own second rate business.

don't flame me for their accidents... yes, one of the customers said it was a BROWN TRUCK

yes, i'll mind my business, i was making sure that they were OK since they had their vehicle shut down/ not idling to stay warm

peace and happy new year!

Re-Raise

don't flame me for their accidents... yes, one of the customers said it was a BROWN TRUCK

yes, i'll mind my business, i was making sure that they were OK since they had their vehicle shut down/ not idling to stay warm

You seem awfully pre-occupied with what our drivers are doing. Did you think saying that three UPS drivers in your area had accidents added anything to this thread?

Don't you have deliveries of your own to take cars of during your day? I can honestly say I have never had a conversation with a customer about a Fed Ex home delivery driver.

Unless someone needed medical assistance, or I was driving a tow truck, I wouldn't stop and chat with you if you were involved in an accident.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unless someone needed medical assistance, or I was driving a tow truck, I wouldn't stop and chat with you if you were involved in an accident.

Whenever I either witness or come upon an accident I will stop to make sure everyone is OK and will call the police if they had not yet been called. Beyond that I mind my own business.

I think it was some guy in a purple shirt that tossed my monitor over the fence. ;-)

HomeDelivery

yes, re-raise, i was only checking if they're OK... took only a 2 seconds for them to reply that they're waiting for the supe & i moved on with my day...

In my area, all the drivers, UPS FedEX, USPS are helpful to each other around here & we all know what we have to go through. I was lucky to had a UPS driver/helper team stop by & see if I needed help when I was on the shoulder of the road trying to find an address. (they confirmed an address was a farm with no road or mailbox number on it). I also helped a UPS guy get into an apartment building (guess he was a cover driver since most of the regular UPSers had entry codes or electronic keys). It doesn't take that long to help out a fellow driver & I thanked most of them for it.

as for the OP, he shouldn't have gotten that warning letter since he knew his area & others sorta agree here.

(sent you a visitor's message on your page, but it didn't show?)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Was the warning letter only for not blowing the horn or was it also for going in the driveway? If it was just for the horn I agree with menotyou that you should grieve the warning letter, citing the reasons that you gave. If it was also for going in the driveway I don't see where you would have basis for a grievance.

So are you saying I should walk this driveway off? At night? No thanks, I dont want to die!

bigbull.jpg

A

anonymous6

i'm a graveyard feederdriver......day sleeper. you honk the horn at my house and you'll be met with a baseball bat.

soberups

yes, re-raise, i was only checking if they're OK... took only a 2 seconds for them to reply that they're waiting for the supe & i moved on with my day...

In my area, all the drivers, UPS FedEX, USPS are helpful to each other around here & we all know what we have to go through. I was lucky to had a UPS driver/helper team stop by & see if I needed help when I was on the shoulder of the road trying to find an address. (they confirmed an address was a farm with no road or mailbox number on it). I also helped a UPS guy get into an apartment building (guess he was a cover driver since most of the regular UPSers had entry codes or electronic keys). It doesn't take that long to help out a fellow driver & I thanked most of them for it.

as for the OP, he shouldn't have gotten that warning letter since he knew his area & others sorta agree here.

(sent you a visitor's message on your page, but it didn't show?)

Same deal here. If I see a FedEx ground guy who looks lost, I am more than happy to help him find an address. Its bad karma to refuse to help some other guy who is just trying to do his job like I am. Some years ago I had a FedEx express driver stop and give me a pull out of a snow drift that I had gotten stuck in. What goes around comes around.

Re-Raise

I tap the horn as well on long driveways or when i had to park my package car at the end of the driveway (facing out due to no shoulder on the thin 2 lane roadway) The purple side never trained me to do so <shrugs> I sometimes tap the horn as I leave a DR stop, just in case they didn't hear me ring the doorbell/knock on the front door...

I did however saw 3 ups package vehicles that caused minor property damage in my delivery area this past peak season. 2 dually tire marks over the customers lawn & 1 package car skidding off the glazed concrete driveway and into a lightpole. The last one, the driver and helper were sitting in the car, waiting for a sup to verify and confirm ???

(i thought that the helper was there to walk the parcels while the driver stays on the street, setting up for the next stops?)

granted, this was a rural area with a mix of short & long driveways as well...

Maybe I am just missing the point here. The first paragraph of your post is on point and interesting , and then you say you saw three accidents caused by UPS drivers in your area.

First off I don't believe you, and secondly what would that have to do with honking your horn at the delivery point.

I don't understand how you claiming to see all these UPS accidents relates to this thread, unless you are somehow saying that we are unable to navigate driveways.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Same deal here. If I see a FedEx ground guy who looks lost, I am more than happy to help him find an address. Its bad karma to refuse to help some other guy who is just trying to do his job like I am. Some years ago I had a FedEx express driver stop and give me a pull out of a snow drift that I had gotten stuck in. What goes around comes around.
LOL I have 3 Fedex drivers in my contacts. 2 Express and 1 ground. We always try and help each other. Well for the most part anyway. :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to admit that I gave the DHL guy a hard time one day. I was at a stop, he pulled up and asked me if I knew where the Chamber of Commerce was. I told him I did. I then got in the PC and drove to the next stop.

Packmule

Apparently, I don't have a choice anymore. So rather than meet ME with the bat, meet my sup with the bat. Better still, call in a corporate complaint. Even better yet, call in a complaint to law-enforcement. When an officer shows up at the building, maybe the dipsticks will start to get the point.

tourists24

So are you saying I should walk this driveway off? At night? No thanks, I dont want to die!

bigbull.jpg
Sorry Sober,,, as per methods you should just back away slowly and if need be use your DIAD as a shield.... we must conform to the prescribed methods... no excuses. ;)

soberups

Apparently, I don't have a choice anymore. So rather than meet ME with the bat, meet my sup with the bat. Better still, call in a corporate complaint. Even better yet, call in a complaint to law-enforcement. When an officer shows up at the building, maybe the dipsticks will start to get the point.

Yes, you do have a choice.

In virtually all jurisdictions, using the horn for any purpose other than as a warning device is against the law.

Do your homework. Check your state, county and local ordinances. Management can waste time threatening you with BS warning letters but the bottom line is that you cannot be required to break the law and they arent going to get anywhere in a disciplinary hearing over you refusing to blare the horn like a damn idiot at every stop.

We have fought this same battle here, and won it. We still have a few sups with horn fetishes who will make a big deal about it during an OJS, but all they have to back themselves up with is hot air and noise.