Warning Letter!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yes, you do have a choice.

In virtually all jurisdictions, using the horn for any purpose other than as a warning device is against the law.

Do your homework. Check your state, county and local ordinances. Management can waste time threatening you with BS warning letters but the bottom line is that you cannot be required to break the law and they arent going to get anywhere in a disciplinary hearing over you refusing to blare the horn like a damn idiot at every stop.

We have fought this same battle here, and won it. We still have a few sups with horn fetishes who will make a big deal about it during an OJS, but all they have to back themselves up with is hot air and noise.
:happy2:That's called a fart.

HomeDelivery

Maybe I am just missing the point here. The first paragraph of your post is on point and interesting , and then you say you saw three accidents caused by UPS drivers in your area.

First off I don't believe you, and secondly what would that have to do with honking your horn at the delivery point.

don't care if you do or don't; that's what i saw...I got no reason to lie here. From what i'm seeing on these boards, you guys are "pushed" too hard sometimes to make those "stops per on road hour" or over-dispatched, but are lucky that you have DIAD communications to ask for help or not when your day is bad. When pushed too much, some will slip and create an accident. not just UPS but I see more over on the purple side as well.

I've seen more ground/ Home Delivery drivers in more accidents than you guys since their training isn't as stringent as yours (dunno about Express division though). But that's purple management's fault for cutting costs/corners in the past few peaks. Heck, they used vets like me to train those temps the proper methods that I've learned on my own in the few years driving for this division.

They were rushing to get things done before it gets dark in this rural area... not just UPS, but FedEx as well... the thing i'm amazed at is when it does get dark, the UPSers in that area doesn't use spotlights like I do when delivering past dusk. Its pretty kewl for UPSers to have "area knowledge" while i'm guessing if there's going to be a dog running around the property or a guy with a shotgun sitting on the porch...

There were FedEx Ground temp drivers that were kinda overwhelmed out in the road, sitting on the side looking at their road maps & plotting every 5-10 stops, trying to beat daylight. But with HD, there's a neat turn-by-turn system with printed maps of my delivery area everyday... not perfect, but I can drive at night with it until I've attempted every stop in my package car.

Re-Raise said:
I don't understand how you claiming to see all these UPS accidents relates to this thread,

From a manager's perspective, I'm guessing that we aren't allowed up people's driveway for risk of the customer calling in a damage claim. But that only applies to the temp drivers in my division since we don't have that valuable "area knowledge" and from what I saw from his 1st post, the OP did have the knowledge to make that warning letter invalid.

Sorry to imply that, but that was not my intention to bad-mouth UPSers:oops:

C

chuchu

chuchu, there is a big difference between tapping the horn to alert the homeowner and "breaching the peace".

The OP did the right thing and IMO the warning letter was not justified.

The only thing I may have done differently is tap the horn as I was approaching the house but certainly not when I was 15' away from the house.
Sounding your horn IS breaching the peace. The breaching of the peace by sounding a HORN is grounds for a ticket, just like "no engine brake" (aka "no jake brake"). etc. signs warning of a ticket if the peace is breached. The peace is the peace...anything that disrupts that is BREACHING THE PEACE. Why do I have to explain this? Go ask an attorney, we did. You are incorrect.

And what gives someone the right to sound their horn in a residential area to alert someone of a privately delivered package by a private company? WE ARE NOT A GOVERNMENT AGENCY. The only reason to sound your horn is to warn someone (kids playing or biking, people backing out of the drive, etc) of your approach for a safety reason. Not so the customer can meet you half-way down the drive to save your company time. People work third shift and some people don't want you alerting the surrounding area that they are getting a package.

That rule is and has always been predominently so the customer "GETS A SENSE OF URGENCY" too and we all know it. Smell the roses. Did you fill out your letter yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Packmule

Should get the letter today, provided steward shows up in office this time. Plan to grieve it, but also have local law-enforcement officers looking into local statutes. Have already been told any complaint registered with them will result in at least a verbal warning to driver. I intend to ask for any warning in writing from them as well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
look into the local ice-cream trucks and the horrible, sometimes abusive tactics they employ (as private companies) with the "jingle" that you can often hear for 15-30+ minutes at a time. Any complaints I have known of, such as disturbing the peace, were squashed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is an appropriate time, place and manner to use the horn.

The driver who is familiar with the route, the area and the customers knows when it is appropriate. The sup who is merely trying to meet a warning letter quota and/or squeeze an extra .000001 SPORH out of the route by getting Grandma to leap out of her recliner and come sprinting to the curb to to get her package doesnt.

The frustrating part is that we cant get EDD fixed, we cant get the load quality fixed and we cant get the timestudy fixed...but by Golly we sure as hell can pay a sup $80K a year to follow you around and spew out warning letters for not tooting a horn.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Should get the letter today, provided steward shows up in office this time. Plan to grieve it, but also have local law-enforcement officers looking into local statutes. Have already been told any complaint registered with them will result in at least a verbal warning to driver. I intend to ask for any warning in writing from them as well.
Call the DA's office. You should have your rebuttal in hand. They will probably give you one for not working as directed. Those are my favorites. Rebuttals are cake for those. 'what direction didn't I follow?'

Packmule

Well, couldn't see the steward anywhere in the building today. No manager said a word to me, I didn't bring it up. When the steward is there and they don't give me the letter, then I'll know they smartened up. If not, then I'll deal with it proudly. I did tell a safety commitee member that what they were doing was illegal and could be a "citable" offense if law-enforcement were called. I also told him, that if they ever give me a warning letter because I refuse to stand at the back of a UPS truck when crossing a street, I'd take it and send a copy to OSHA along with a letter detailing my concerns about that stupid policy. Until today, I though the horn one was just annoying, not dangerous. But after seeing so many distracted drivers staring at me, rather than the road, I've changed my mind.

C

chuchu

look into the local ice-cream trucks and the horrible, sometimes abusive tactics they employ (as private companies) with the "jingle" that you can often hear for 15-30+ minutes at a time. Any complaints I have known of, such as disturbing the peace, were squashed.
I bet they'd get their butt in a ringer if their horn sounded @ every stop instead of the music they play. Maybe they should sound their horn while the music played so everyone in the block would know they were stoping.

Never seen one of them out after dark (except Schwanns) playing their loud music. They seem to have more sense than to make a racket after dark like we are supposed to do at a stop.

I think that calling out "UPS" at a house after dark is even kind of dangerous in some areas....it sounds way too much like "POLICE!".

menotyou

bella amicizia
Uhmmm, Nanc, use your brain. Read what he wrote and then what I did. He was contacting local law enforcement to find out the local laws. Hence, my suggestion to contact the DA, as they are probably could inform him of the local laws in one phone call.

Drama Daisy stirring the pot, I see.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Talk about boredom issues. Are you in a corner right now? EEWWWWWW!!!! CHUBBY IN THE CORNER ALERT!! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!

Typical menotyou response---when you can't respond with facts or are unable to back up your ridiculous assertions you either resort to childish responses or reduce yourself to sexual innuendo. Yet you wonder why no one takes you seriously here.

Back to the OP---the warning letter was not justified, which is probably why you have yet to and probably will never receive it. I agree with you that blowing the horn 15' from the house was not the right thing to do; however, I would have blown it as I was approaching the house.

To the poster who claimed blowing the horn was breaching the peace---tapping the horn and laying on the horn are two different things.

Involving the local authorities or calling the DA for such a minor thing would be a waste of resources.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Call the DA over a warning letter that will most certainly be reduced to a verbal warning if not completely thrown out? That's funny.
A verbal warning leads to the next step, which is a written warning. The next step is Article 7. In our dicrtrict, it is easier to talk to God than getting an art. 7 removed from your file. Ensuring that your job is not in jeopardy due to any warning you did not deserve is worth any phone calls to anyone as long as it gets the verbal warning thrown out.
As a former steward, I understand the importance of making sure your file is correct. Any unjust warning is just that, unjust. But, it can be the step that leads to your termination if you just 'take it' as you have suggested to many.
Now, take your chubby back to your corner. Or, are you missing Mickey D's?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The warning letter was clearly not justified--it would have been given my now had it been. Elevating this non-issue by involving the local authorities (calling the DA--really??) would be a waste of time and resources. Packmule places a premium on customer service and showed this by not blowing the horn.

You love to blow things out of proportion and have clearly done so in this case.