Was this a mistake?

barnyard

KTM rider
I am starting to believe that managers have the ability to move the bar to suit their needs. I was a cut driver for 15 years and routinely scratched the routes that I covered. I bid a route and now all of a sudden I am close to an hour over every day. Then I have other days where everything goes the same as the other day and I am scratch.

It is getting so ridiculous that I thought about bidding back onto the extra board. But really, the numbers are their problem, not mine. I told them what they need to do to change the route and now it is up to them to do it.

Undertow

Since Middle of July. Was in one center. Wasn’t getting much time on my training route there. I was switched to a different center because the manager thought I was getting a bad deal with the route and days etc. got put in a different center because another new hire quit and have been doing it since August I’d say. Steady. On and off for the past week or so. Was told today they might get rid of me after peak
They might get rid of you after peak? Well, if they had said that to me in the lead up to peak in the mere weeks or months after I'd started, I'd have told them then if they wouldn't commit to mr after peak then I certainly wouldn't commit to them during peak. Might as well quit and find a different employer before Thanksgiving if they are stupid enough to come out and say that to you.

JustDeliverIt

If your stressing out this much, maybe this job isn't for you. And please don't take this the wrong way, it isn't for a lot of people. Don't run, don't speed, those will only cause you bigger problems when you get hurt or hit something. Go out and do your best, it's all you can do.

Smashmouth

Can they get rid of you for not getting scratch?

No they cant, theyll bust your balls, give you a three day ride, try to get you to sign a oaper promising to do “x” amount of stops a day. Its all just a dog and pony show to try to stress you out and make you go faster.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No they cant, theyll bust your balls, give you a three day ride, try to get you to sign a oaper promising to do “x” amount of stops a day. Its all just a dog and pony show to try to stress you out and make you go faster.
Wrong.

He's not made book

Smashmouth

Since Middle of July. Was in one center. Wasn’t getting much time on my training route there. I was switched to a different center because the manager thought I was getting a bad deal with the route and days etc. got put in a different center because another new hire quit and have been doing it since August I’d say. Steady. On and off for the past week or so. Was told today they might get rid of me after peak

If youve been working all August and continue working pretty steadily, youll have your seniority before peak and they cant get rid of you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I was assuming he had seniority already. But he seems lost all the way around. His center must have a :censored2:ty steward that doesnt help explain things to the new guys.
It is kind of nuts how lost he is but he's off the street so somewhat understandable also.

Chnandler Bong

I wouldn't think twice about coding some sort time as "lunch" until you get your seniority. Get rid of air and bulk (to make some room) and then pull over and organize your truck. You will be working off the clock...which is a no-no once you get on full time...but it's temporary. After you gain seniority, you won't have to worry about their numbers. Just do the best you can and collect those checks.

Undertow

Youd think that a supervisor training him and doing his 30 day packet would have explained at least enough for him to know he has to run their numbers in order to make it.
I'm not convinced the scratch target is the absolute benchmark in every location from coast to coast anymore. I've seen some new hires stick without hitting it simply because they had to drive across several routes to save what would have been blown pickups because management forgot to cover somebody's 8 hr. Nothing kills numbers like having to blow 2 hours cleaning up somebody else's mess. As bad as IE has rigged some of the time studies, there's runs that even best drivers can't get to even in my parts.

Years ago we had new hires that were turned away despite routinely exceeding scratch. The reason? They weren't running ORION at 85% or better. What a joke. Guys that would have been real assets for years to come get sacrificed for management's most pathetic farce to date.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
He doesn't have seniority yet so yes they can fire him if they want. It sounds like this guy is already freaking out and needs to be prescribed meds for anxiety, I would walk now if they are telling you your not cutting it. It will only get worse before it gets better and you will probably not get hired on full time. Sorry man it happens a lot with guys, especially now with how they treat new employees and numbers.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’m starting to feel like going through the process at UPS was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I don’t say that loosely. I just want to ask a few questions. Some have been told to me before but I never really grasped the concept. I kinda, I think, sorta know the answer to some of these questions but I love clarification in my life. How does “scratch” work? Why do they hold it to you so much in your 30 days? Does it mean a thing after you gain seniority? Hard work, showing up early, all those things that to me have always seemed to work at let’s say, 99% of my jobs, does not seem to be working anymore at UPS

Do some searching on the forums for scratch and time allowances. Lots of good info here already. You need to ask to see your numbers so you have an idea of what's being expected of you. They're really bad about explaining how things work, which is unfortunate. Being an off the street hire makes things that much harder, there's so much to learn that you can pick up being a part timer. You haven't even gotten used to the culture. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me.

bumped

Nobody here can really help you. We all work for the same company, but its like many little companies with slightly different rules. Ask some of the older drivers who the union stewards are. Tell them what your telling us. The stewards should know how many days/ how well you are doing/ what your classification really is.

brown_trousers

If your stressing out this much, maybe this job isn't for you. And please don't take this the wrong way, it isn't for a lot of people.
Good advice! I see a lot of people that would lead much happier lives if they werent drivers.

And for most supplements, going full time is a one-way move, there is no going back to part-time.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sure, The helper will run off the stops so you get done faster!

Sometimes you both can do stops at the same time so you get done even faster than that!
C4F14D5B-1522-469C-B335-2EF1EFE9840A.gif

IESucks

I’m starting to feel like going through the process at UPS was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I don’t say that loosely. I just want to ask a few questions. Some have been told to me before but I never really grasped the concept. I kinda, I think, sorta know the answer to some of these questions but I love clarification in my life. How does “scratch” work? Why do they hold it to you so much in your 30 days? Does it mean a thing after you gain seniority? Hard work, showing up early, all those things that to me have always seemed to work at let’s say, 99% of my jobs, does not seem to be working anymore at UPS
Yes. Big mistake

john chesney

Don’t worry this feeling only lasts 30 years or maybe more. Quite frequently it can be much shorter if you get fired