"Was you knockin' on my door?!" Daily Rant

Lady: "Was you knockin on my door?!"

Me: (Four row houses away) "Does it look like I was knocking on your door?"

Lady: "Was you?!?!"

Me: "Seriously? How, with my Go-Go Gadget arms? I'm four houses away ma'am. So no, I was not knocking on your door." *sigh*

I should've known she was an idiot when she said "Was you", instead of "Were you", but that's how people speak in the hood. This is what I deal with every day. Had two complaints from yesterday that were concerns. These are just awesome gems. The first was from a lady that was mad that I told her she would have to show me I.D. every time I delivered from now on. Why? The guy that covered my trip during Peak had three tracers in a row at her house, all Uggz. Seriously? All three DR's were stolen? BS! Complain all ya want, but you'll be doing it as you're holding your drivers license and I'm typing your driver ID number into the remarks area. Lets see ya steal another one.
The second concern was from a lady that said I never bothered to knock or ring the bell. These are my favorite complaints because they're such BS. The package in question was 110 lbs, and it was my third stop of the day yesterday! I wanted to get that monster off of the truck during my airs, but I guess she wasn't awake at 9:45 AM, so of course she called in a concern. I hope when she has to lift that box all by herself today that she gets a prolapsed anus. Google it if you don't know what it is, and yes, that image that's burned into your memory now is what I hope happens to her. Cold as balls, balls deep with deliveries, stupid people, three water main breaks, frozen lights, and finding out the coolest road sup we ever had is now leaving. Oh yeah, fun day. I would drink a beer if it wasn't a work night, so here I am to vent. lol Everyone have a fun day on their trip? Mine was glorious.
You need to find some inner peace. I'm worried about you.

gingerkat

All you would have to do is drive through my area to answer that question. When you get a note that says "Please live my paqage nest door. I had to live out" you'll quickly understand the mentality of the area. haha
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you making fun of people without a good grasp of English? Not everyone speaks our delicate language - lol.

gingerkat

Amen 407. I was just touching on that thought because of my own heritage. My mother had an accent and people would always make fun of it, especially since I grew up in whiteyville USA.

Just because someone is poor, it doesn't make em' dumb.

bumped

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you making fun of people without a good grasp of English? Not everyone speaks our delicate language - lol.

These are not people from a different country or are 2nd generation immigrants. Many of these people choose not to go to school, and I mean grade school. During the school year I have no idea sometimes if the kids have a day off school or not until I deliver near one. I deal with this everyday also.

I've delivered in some of the richest of suburbs, and in the hood. Most of the nicest people I've met are from the hood. Very respectful, salt of the earth, would give you the shirt off their back type people. But, the problem is way too many bad apples. When people are living on top of people on top of people the amount of bad apples sticks out.

bumped

The last few days with the brutally cold weather people had to be at the door within 20 seconds or I was gone. The cop knock means get your ass to the door.

cop knock, cop knock, doorbell, doorbell(if there even is one, much less if it works) service cross, delivery notice, I'm gone. Many send agains the last 3 days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I do all of my venting without breaking a sweat, or elevating my heartbeat. I'm a pro. haha

I anticipate awful customers every day. It's just the area I work in. I grew up in a similar kind of neighborhood, so I'm full of sarcasm, cynicism, and have a nose that can smell BS better than an Airport dog looking for cocaine. I'm as laid back as the Dude. :)
The dude abides

Mack Grant

Lady: "Was you knockin on my door?!"

Me: (Four row houses away) "Does it look like I was knocking on your door?"

Lady: "Was you?!?!"

Me: "Seriously? How, with my Go-Go Gadget arms? I'm four houses away ma'am. So no, I was not knocking on your door." *sigh*

I should've known she was an idiot when she said "Was you", instead of "Were you", but that's how people speak in the hood. This is what I deal with every day. Had two complaints from yesterday that were concerns. These are just awesome gems. The first was from a lady that was mad that I told her she would have to show me I.D. every time I delivered from now on. Why? The guy that covered my trip during Peak had three tracers in a row at her house, all Uggz. Seriously? All three DR's were stolen? BS! Complain all ya want, but you'll be doing it as you're holding your drivers license and I'm typing your driver ID number into the remarks area. Lets see ya steal another one.
The second concern was from a lady that said I never bothered to knock or ring the bell. These are my favorite complaints because they're such BS. The package in question was 110 lbs, and it was my third stop of the day yesterday! I wanted to get that monster off of the truck during my airs, but I guess she wasn't awake at 9:45 AM, so of course she called in a concern. I hope when she has to lift that box all by herself today that she gets a prolapsed anus. Google it if you don't know what it is, and yes, that image that's burned into your memory now is what I hope happens to her. Cold as balls, balls deep with deliveries, stupid people, three water main breaks, frozen lights, and finding out the coolest road sup we ever had is now leaving. Oh yeah, fun day. I would drink a beer if it wasn't a work night, so here I am to vent. lol Everyone have a fun day on their trip? Mine was glorious.
Drink a beer even though it's a work night!!

Squint

No more work for me!
Marne, next time check to see if she is wearing the item that was d/r'd at her home. I've caught people that way in the past.

UPSmeoff

In the hood around here, after you knock somebody always says...WHOOOO? Its UPS....WHOOO? Its UPS....WHOOO? I HAVE A DE-LIV-ERY for you.
Or the best is after you already filled out the delivery notice and are walking back to the car when they come to the door. I KNOW they were waiting to see if i would leave the package without a signature.
And what is it with houses that have 3, 4, and even 5 doorbells. How the hell am i supposed to know which one to push.

I could fill a book with just the stuff I've seen on my trip. Yeah, sometimes these people get to me, but I own them in the end. Burn me once, fine, but they won't get a chance to do it twice. :)

All you would have to do is drive through my area to answer that question. When you get a note that says "Please live my paqage nest door. I had to live out" you'll quickly understand the mentality of the area. haha

I worked for 33 years and part of that delivery time was in the hood so I know what your saying but, the real question is what the hell is a trip? At UPS we have delivery routes and delivery areas. We also have trolls. Are you one of them?

Marne Vet

Oh no, these are born and raised Americans that are freshly dropped out of whatever crappy neighborhood Public school they attended.

Marne Vet

I worked for 33 years and part of that delivery time was in the hood so I know what your saying but, the real question is what the hell is a trip? At UPS we have delivery routes and delivery areas. We also have trolls. Are you one of them?

It's "you're" old fella. Now, I don't know what area of the country you worked in, but at my Hub/Center we call them "trips". We bid a trip, not a "delivery route". That :censored2: just sounds corny, but thank you for trolling the thread with some random anecdote about what you old guys called your trips at your Center/Hub.

Marne Vet

I've learned to appreciate all people of all ethnic background regardless of race
And religion. I wasn't always like this but God loves us all.

Sadly it's not an ethnic, or race thing in my area. These are just stupid people. They come in every color, and ethnicity. I've worked in better zips where people fresh off "the boat" speak better English than the inhabitants of my current trip.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never heard it called trips by other UPS drivers either. I thought that was more a FedEx term. And my center bid routes, not trips.

Sadly it's not an ethnic, or race thing in my area. These are just stupid people. They come in every color, and ethnicity. I've worked in better zips where people fresh off "the boat" speak better English than the inhabitants of my current trip.
Where the hell do you deliver West Virgina?

It's "you're" old fella. Now, I don't know what area of the country you worked in, but at my Hub/Center we call them "trips". We bid a trip, not a "delivery route". That :censored2: just sounds corny, but thank you for trolling the thread with some random anecdote about what you old guys called your trips at your Center/Hub.
We call them bid routes where I'm at.

Marne Vet

I never heard it called trips by other UPS drivers either. I thought that was more a FedEx term. And my center bid routes, not trips.

Never heard them described as "routes" in 20 years. We have "trips", and that's what we bid every January when the center manager calls us into his office and says "Are you staying on your trip, or bidding a different one?" Different strokes for different folks, but some retiree calling me a troll? Looks like my Ignore List just added a guy with seniority. People need to realize that there are different phrases and words used throughout the country to describe the same thing. Whatever you call it wherever you work, it just might be different somewhere else. .02