We have to change the way they think of the hourly employee.

hypo hanna

Because the most action being taken is in slow down maneuvers instead of organizing which may improve things. But we never hear how many cards are signed and now we have no real measure of how this is working. We have folks making claims with no metrics. So I'm an A-hole because I am asking for metrics? Ok. How do you know it's working without them?
And just how are we supposed to know how many cards are signed? Up to now any efforts have been individual drivers signing their own cards. If its that important for you to know the exact number, perhaps you should give the IBT a call. Hope you have better luck then we do in getting a response.

MAKAVELI

People could report their individual successes and I will volunteer to add them up.

Wow, you are so helpful in the support of our fight for representation. Maybe you could be helpful to your drivers and pay them a better wage and benefits.

Ricochet1a

People could report their individual successes and I will volunteer to add them up.

Don't do this people....

Keep track of your 'successes' - then when and if any sort of information nexus (invite only) is ever established, you (the grassroots organizers) can exchange information, the numbers of cards signed and what station they were signed in.

I said it before, given that the IBT is M.I.A. on organizing, if things are ever to get 'serious', a private network will need to be established for those who are doing the legwork to exchange information and keep track of numbers of cards signed and sent in. With this information, the 'group' would have some leverage with the IBT in getting them to eventually step in and take action.

One thing you don't want to do is give the FedEx anti-union hit team any information they could find useful (percentages of Couriers in specific stations that have signed cards, etc.). It would give them the information they need to target those stations for captive anti-union presentations to instill fear and uncertainty.

bbsam

Staff member

I was kidding. But it seems like something that would be almost impossible to keep together with so many small organizing teams of varying abilities.

Ricochet1a

I was kidding. But it seems like something that would be almost impossible to keep together with so many small organizing teams of varying abilities.

Herding cats....

It could be done, its not likely, but it is definitely within the realm of possible IF the Couriers ever realize that they need to forget about the petty stuff, and focus on the ONE item which would have a monumental impact of Express - that is signing those representation cards.

Fifty Couriers, each in different stations, could start enough of a movement in getting rep cards signed and then (this is the IMPORTANT thing), contacting another like minded Courier in a nearby station to start the same sort of organizing. Call it 'multi-level marketing', call it what you will. By using the concept of geometric progression, those 50 Couriers could in 6 months time, have 300-500 Couriers all working (in different stations), getting out cards and getting people to send them in. It could be done, but it will all have to start with those 50 Couriers getting out cards and then going to the effort to make a contact at a neighboring station and have that person do the same there - and continuing to build that informal grassroots network.

If there were 400 Couriers (each in a separate station), able to get 25 Couriers each to sign and send in those cards (that's 10,000 cards), the IBT would automatically step in and get some 'formal' organization behind the effort to get the rest of the way. I recall there are around 600 stations in the US, with an average of 50 Couriers in each (if there is more current info, put it up), so getting two-thirds of stations to each have an average of one-half of their Couriers sign cards would get to that 10,000 point.

It's not impossible, it will just take those 50 or so Couriers to get the ball rolling and instead of submitting leads for Fred, putting their effort into gathering signatures and building organization for THEMSELVES. To me, it is a no-brainer, but then again, most don't think like I do.

overflowed

Ah I see, you were just kidding. Sounded a lot like trolling.

Look at it from his point of view HH.
if he's a troll he's just doing what a troll does.
If he's a plant he's doing his job.
If he is a ground contractor, and we can pull off some miracle he has much to lose. His drivers would want more immediately if we were to unionize. This talk concerns him and his family too.