We have to change the way they think of the hourly employee.

DontThrowPackages

As it should be if Ground is producing the profits.
WIll never happen. Ground exists because they dont pay. How many ground drivers? Multiply that number by Health insurance, Retirement plan and tell me you believe those drivers will ever be compensated for the work they do. The day a ground drive makes 21.00 an hour is the day he's driving for someone else.

MAKAVELI

And what I am saying is that FedEx is holding down our wages to increase profit and that is it.

Well, yeah, they're doing alot of things to increase profit. But you make it sound as if Ground drivers will be making the same pay 10, 20, 30 years from now and that people at Ground will accept that.

You are going in circles again. I didn't say ground would be making $13 in 30 years. Only any increases will be at the contractors discretion not FedEx. And those increases are not tied to FedEx holding down our pay. That is done to increase profit, pure and simple. The fact is they could give ground increases right now if they wanted to.

vantexan

You are going in circles again. I didn't say ground would be making $13 in 30 years. Only any increases will be at the contractors discretion not FedEx. And those increases are not tied to FedEx holding down our pay. That is done to increase profit, pure and simple. The fact is they could give ground increases right now if they wanted to.

You keep talking about Ground increases being tied to Express pay being kept down. I'm not saying they are going to keep pay down at Express so that they can give Ground more. I'm saying that they will try to keep pay down as much as possible, period. But they will have to give increases over time with inflation or risk losing people. Yes, the contractors pay their drivers. But money is allocated to them in their contracts for that purpose. You say the contractors will just keep any extra given for themselves. I'm saying if they don't compensate their drivers enough as inflation increases they'll lose drivers and have a difficult time meeting their contractural obligations, risking their investment as FedEx may not renew the contract.

Again, this is just a discussion expressing opinions about what's happening, not a defense of FedEx and their methods. I hope you can see the difference.

vantexan

WIll never happen. Ground exists because they dont pay. How many ground drivers? Multiply that number by Health insurance, Retirement plan and tell me you believe those drivers will ever be compensated for the work they do. The day a ground drive makes 21.00 an hour is the day he's driving for someone else.

Don't be surprised if within 5 years in at least the more expensive metro areas Ground drivers are making $21hr.

MAKAVELI

You keep talking about Ground increases being tied to Express pay being kept down. I'm not saying they are going to keep pay down at Express so that they can give Ground more. I'm saying that they will try to keep pay down as much as possible, period. But they will have to give increases over time with inflation or risk losing people. Yes, the contractors pay their drivers. But money is allocated to them in their contracts for that purpose. You say the contractors will just keep any extra given for themselves. I'm saying if they don't compensate their drivers enough as inflation increases they'll lose drivers and have a difficult time meeting their contractural obligations, risking their investment as FedEx may not renew the contract.

Again, this is just a discussion expressing opinions about what's happening, not a defense of FedEx and their methods. I hope you can see the difference.

I see the difference. I'm just saying ground is already willing to work for peanuts and I don't think that is changing anytime soon.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't be surprised if within 5 years in at least the more expensive metro areas Ground drivers are making $21hr.

No way. The whole Ground model is predicated upon low-paid/zero benefit disposable drivers. At $21 per hour, Fred has to pay the ISP's more, thereby lowering his profits. Never going to see it.

vantexan

I see the difference. I'm just saying ground is already willing to work for peanuts and I don't think that is changing anytime soon.

If a Ground guy grosses $600 a week and often has to work 50-60 hrs for that, and finds out that the company down the road pays $14hr, that's $560 a week on 40 hrs, and time and a half over 40, averaging 42 hrs a week, has healthcare and a company match on a 401k, and it's a decent job with a steady future, which job will he be doing 6 months from now? If that long.

Alot of Ground drivers were working $9hr jobs, or whatever, and $600 a week being on their own all week looks like a big step up. It's not peanuts, it's an improvement in their circumstance. Or they may be a 42 yr old with a military pension and don't need healthcare or a pension from FedEx. Driving for Ground or Home Delivery fits in nicely with their lifestyle. In other words there are many reasons one might choose to be a Ground driver. Many I suspect take the job because there's little else in their area to do beyond Walmart or fast food. Let's not demonize the Ground people, most are decent folk trying to make ends meet.

vantexan

No way. The whole Ground model is predicated upon low-paid/zero benefit disposable drivers. At $21 per hour, Fred has to pay the ISP's more, thereby lowering his profits. Never going to see it.

5 years may be too soon, but when I started working at a supermarket at 16 in 1978 minimum wage was $2.35 hr and fulltime stockers were making $7hr. Eventually with inflation the pay has to increase but that $21hr won't be what it's worth now by the time they're paid it.

DontThrowPackages

As long as there's a lack of employment opportunities out there, GD will not make 21hr. Now if Mc Donald's, Lowes or home depot begin to pay 20HR, then, and only then, can I see Ground upping pay. The beast needs to be fed every year. It wants more because last year wasn't enough and even if it gets more it still wont be enough because it will expect more the following year. The beast that is the stock holder has taken your BPP, profit sharing, health insurance, pension, uniform money, overtime, raises(bi-yearly), Hours worked, Bravo payouts, Carpool compensation, Split pay and thats probably only half. The next move to feed the beast , imho, is to eliminate exprss as we know it and replacing it with contracted drivers.
Go back to school if you're young enough. Get your class A if you're mid range and,if you're too old, ride it out until no longer want you around. There's a lot not being said. Be ready for surprises between October and the next 24 months.

vantexan

As long as there's a lack of employment opportunities out there, GD will not make 21hr. Now if Mc Donald's, Lowes or home depot begin to pay 20HR, then, and only then, can I see Ground upping pay. The beast needs to be fed every year. It wants more because last year wasn't enough and even if it gets more it still wont be enough because it will expect more the following year. The beast that is the stock holder has taken your BPP, profit sharing, health insurance, pension, uniform money, overtime, raises(bi-yearly), Hours worked, Bravo payouts, Carpool compensation, Split pay and thats probably only half. The next move to feed the beast , imho, is to eliminate exprss as we know it and replacing it with contracted drivers.
Go back to school if you're young enough. Get your class A if you're mid range and,if you're too old, ride it out until no longer want you around. There's a lot not being said. Be ready for surprises between October and the next 24 months.

If the others are paying $14hr I bet many Ground guys will leave Ground. If their pay works out to an extra $1hr with no OT why would they stay at Ground?

STFXG

I know bbs an ISP so he's a little different. But just so you all know ICs have only gone one year without a raise... Our yearly raises (settlement enhancements) have always been above inflation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know bbs an ISP so he's a little different. But just so you all know ICs have only gone one year without a raise... Our yearly raises (settlement enhancements) have always been above inflation.

You're doing fine, so that's all that matters, right? The scam continues.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly. And my drivers are doing "fine" as well.

I doubt that. I wouldn't consider living in a basement on my parent's medical plan as "fine". But you would, because you're making big bank off this scam, and that's all that matters.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't know what company you work for. But the FedEx I work for does not care about methods anymore and hasn't for years. They only care about numbers. That is why your sph goal is not set on a check ride, but an average of what has been done. This goal has increased every year arbitrarily with no check ride. The company knows that drivers cut corners to make numbers and looks the other way. It's not just mid management . It starts at the top with Fred S all the way down to the ops managers.You can try and put all the responsibility on the driver and make all excuses for management. But it doesn't change the fact that this is one of the most crooked companies to work for. There should be a Forbes most crooked list which FedEx would be at the top.

I guess we're back to "Such and such happens at my station, so it must always happen everywhere within the entire company" again.

59 Dano

This is why I believe you are a company plant and union buster. Every idea on this site for organizing or getting the company to listen to us is met with negativity and discouragement from you. Even something as positive as following company policies and procedures. You follow up by saying that we may be fired for doing so? Man your tactics are just getting more pathetic by the day. And please don't say you support us to organize, it's quite obvious your intent is the opposite.

Wow, what a thin skin. This is a discussion forum for people to debate and discuss workplace issues. I don't know what planet you hail from, but on Earth that means that not everyone agrees on things and they have no problem saying so.

If you want an echo chamber, private messages will do the trick perfectly.

MAKAVELI

This is why I believe you are a company plant and union buster. Every idea on this site for organizing or getting the company to listen to us is met with negativity and discouragement from you. Even something as positive as following company policies and procedures. You follow up by saying that we may be fired for doing so? Man your tactics are just getting more pathetic by the day. And please don't say you support us to organize, it's quite obvious your intent is the opposite.

Wow, what a thin skin. This is a discussion forum for people to debate and discuss workplace issues. I don't know what planet you hail from, but on Earth that means that not everyone agrees on things and they have no problem saying so.

If you want an echo chamber, private messages will do the trick perfectly.

Coming from another company Plant and union buster doesn't surprise me.

59 Dano

I can't say it any more clearly. Go ahead and organize. It absolutely will not harm my business with Ground. Here let me motivate you further. You guys are a bunch of raging pusillanimous and wouldn't get past crying about your position on the net without wetting yourselves. Now go prove me wrong you little cry babies.

You were reading my mind...

All talk, no walk. They (a certain few of the posters) come here and brag about subterfuge, but they don't have the balls to do any of that, let alone whatever it is they're trying to delude themselves into doing now.