Weekend work

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by BrownMonk, Aug 28, 2018.

1. BrownMonk

BrownMonk Old fart Package Car Driver

This is not an attempt to get a yes vote or argue about present language. So, the question is how does UPS cover weekend work since no one presently wants to work them? A chance to fix a huge point of contention with many.

2. just chillin'

just chillin' Rest in peace wooba

seniority

3. WehavWe Monday through Friday and Tuesday through Saturday shifts.

4. BrownMonk

Do we go to Wed. through Sun. if we start doing that work?

5. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Depends on your supplement or Local agreements.

There is no one answer.

6. just chillin'

just chillin' Rest in peace wooba

i dont ever see the need for Sunday ground. right now the only deliveries on Sunday is if you order something from amazon prime on Friday and your guaranteed two day delivery. maybe Sunday air at some point.

7. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

Here everyone is M-F. They ‘force’ from bottom up but still allow for occasional Saturday off requests. We have 5-6 working Saturdays, occasionally 7.

Cover drivers are “Full time” and all but 3 drive daily except slow/low vacation times like Jan-Feb and September-October.

They abuse covers by forcing from bottom up to work local sort or preload because of staffing issues and occasionaly try to force them to work both which DQs them from shuttling/driving for day if needed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. BrownMonk

Where are you?

9. DOK

DOK Well-Known Member

Bingo, work here long enough, gain seniority, bid out of weekend work, just like it’s always been.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. DOK

DOK Well-Known Member

If they don’t like that situation they won’t like being 22,4.

11. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

Central PA

12. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Oh my, I'm voting yes now.

13. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Active Member

I thought you worked in my building when you explained what they're doing. even other buildings in my area don't do that.

14. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

They are forcing cover drivers to preload and drive?

15. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Active Member

No just drive six days a week. Not actually covering someone's shift at all. Won't hire any new people for Saturday delivery.

16. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

They don't run out of hours? I'd be sure to work as slow as possible during the week. Make sure I have 4 hours tops for Saturday's. Cover Drivers can not be help at all to production numbers. (Not that any driver can be really.)

Tell them to slow down to a crawl.

17. Tony Q

Tony Q Well-Known Member

18. Fake numbers

19. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Well-Known Member

But when/if a shipper wants to offer Sunday delivery to their customers, their choice of delivery company becomes easier if UPS does not offer the option .

Theoretically, Sunday service would give UPS more weight in the sales pitch. It could be a potential game-changer in the industry.

20. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Well-Known Member

Sunday service without the proposed 22.4s would require a new, third work schedule, most likely Sun-Thurs.