We're buying a house.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I have an idea,
someone is gonna steal it and make a million.
Steve, you love to ride bicycles.
You have a huge yard to mow.
I intend to design a mower
(I can already see it in my mind)
that combines both.
A true green machine and will keep you off the dangerous roadways to get your exercise.
It is not just a bicycle pulling a reel mower,
(which would work),
but more of a ergonomic self powered mower.
Thanks for putting that bug in my head.
My passion is design and building, both of which have been on the back burners for the last couple of years.
Maybe, I can fund my retirement with my design.
Fat chance,
Sorry for my babble, but, I truly thank you for inspiring me.

rod

Retired 22 years
Is there also a girls model? My Anniversary is coming up and I'm looking for that special gift for my wife.

satellitedriver

I love it !!!!!
How much was the price at the junk sale?
Someone took effort painting it in a John Deere(sp?) color scheme, to add value.
The only thing, in this design, that addresses safety is the chain guard.
(There is a reason 3 wheelers are no longer manufactured.)
Every part of this "machine" is true vintage, my guess is from 1958 to 1963.
My design will be a little more complex.
Rod,
It will definitely be wife friendly,
Your wife will use her legs to kick you in the butt and tell you to get out there and mow the yard.:happy2: :happy2::peaceful:

DS

Fenderbender
hows this?
john-deere-chopper-lawn-mower.jpg

UPSERNOJ

Good Luck Steve...The house is very nice. Enjoy....I borrowed off my 401K (for first time homebuyers only) and used it for the down payment. No regrets.

I can't find a decent cabin for 120K...Looks like a great deal...Maybe I should move down there so I can get 3 houses.

Sammie

I can't find a decent cabin for 120K...Looks like a great deal...Maybe I should move down there so I can get 3 houses.

Amen. What an incredible deal. That price does sounds too good to be true. It's a buyers market now and a great time to buy. We'd be lucky to find an outhouse for 120K around here let alone a beauty like that.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It's a buyers market now and a great time to buy.

My father told me about 6 months ago that if I wanted to buy a home, now was hands-down the best in generations to do so. He urged me to buy but I declined because I hated where I was (Fargo, North Dakota). I will not buy where I am now--Chicago--because I don't want to be here longterm but sometime in the next 5 years, I'll buy. If I get married or I find a beautiful home and am in a place I really like, I'll do it in a heartbeat. I'd love to own a home! There are a couple neighborhoods in Denver I'd buy a home in. With the tumble in home prices, one or two of those neighborhoods might actually be possible now :). -Rocky

satellitedriver

My father told me about 6 months ago that if I wanted to buy a home, now was hands-down the best in generations to do so. He urged me to buy but I declined because I hated where I was (Fargo, North Dakota). I will not buy where I am now--Chicago--because I don't want to be here longterm but sometime in the next 5 years, I'll buy. If I get married or I find a beautiful home and am in a place I really like, I'll do it in a heartbeat. I'd love to own a home! There are a couple neighborhoods in Denver I'd buy a home in. With the tumble in home prices, one or two of those neighborhoods might actually be possible now :). -Rocky
Rocky,
Buy a house, to make a Home.
It isn't just all about money.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky,
Buy a house, to make a Home.
It isn't just all about money.

Ahhh. Good point. And well said, sir. I went looking for unemployment figures on the Web last night. Chicago's unemployment is about 9.5%. The Metroplex is about 6.9%. I was thinking about a week-long trip to Texas to job search but my mother talked me out of it. Up until 2007, real-estate was the 'safest' place to park money. I'm not sure it'll be the same story for many years. I'd buy a house both for a Home and as an investment.

come on man-- buy a house-- do your part to keep the economy going----buy 2- they're cheap

LOL. You know anyone hiring?? If I had a job, I'd be looking. About three weeks before I left Denver to start that job in North Dakota, I was walking somewhere and went by a place with brochures out, advertising a house for sale. I saw my aunt later on that day and she saw me idly looking through the brochure. She said, "I thought you had a job in North Dakota?" I chuckled and said, "I do. If I didn't, I'd have to restrain myself from getting on the phone to this realtor first thing Monday morning." I showed her the brochure, she gave a low whistle and said, "Wow. I don't blame you. Good neighborhood and an amazing price!"

Its very, very tempting, Rod. I've looked into 'distressed properties.' If I had a REASON to stick around here--like a job ;)--I'd very seriously consider buying a house. And not one of those condos, either. My uncle bought one of those from his parents and regretted it. I was told it was the first to lose value and the last to gain it. No, I'd go into a house. Satellite....how's three acres, a dog and a Chevy 4X4 sound? LOL -Rocky

jw55wags

stug, are you sure you want to use your 401k. I would really think that one over. The way the markets have gone you might be sorry in a year or two. Just a throught. Nice looking home. Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve has more than enough time before retirement to build that 401k back up. He said that he was debating whether to sell stock or borrow from the 401k and I think he made the right choice. He will basically be paying himself back (with interest) over how many months he deicided so it is not a bad option. Yes, he will lose the investing power of that amount of money, but I still think he has made the right choice.

When my kids were in college I took out loans from my 401k (8 loans in total). I made sure that the loans were 12 months or less in length and had 2 loans in use at the same time but my 401k came out just fine; in fact, I was more adversely affected by the recession than by the loans.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Steve has more than enough time before retirement to build that 401k back up. He said that he was debating whether to sell stock or borrow from the 401k and I think he made the right choice. He will basically be paying himself back (with interest) over how many months he deicided so it is not a bad option. Yes, he will lose the investing power of that amount of money, but I still think he has made the right choice.

When my kids were in college I took out loans from my 401k (8 loans in total). I made sure that the loans were 12 months or less in length and had 2 loans in use at the same time but my 401k came out just fine; in fact, I was more adversely affected by the recession than by the loans.
Yeah but he's probably not smart as you.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Sorry, Steve, just had to rib ya a little. You might want to look at the posts I put on here and consider them. They are all from experiences I have had with buying/owning properties.