What advice would you give somebody just starting out at UPS?

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
Join the union.
Get a contract book, and learn it.
That way you know what your rights are.
Otherwise management will tell you what they think your rights are.
If management says they have to speak to you about an "issue" demand a steward!
That's good advice. I would also add find out who the stewards are and ask them to tell you about the working environment with management. I had no idea what it meant to join a union when I first started and I would guess most people just starting out don't know either.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
If you're in a relationship, be sure to spend quality time with your partner when and as often as you can. Ups drivers have a very high divorce rate. We are worked hard, and it's easy to bring that stress home. Learn to leave that stress at the door.
How true. I've seen so many marriages bust up. Long term marriages. Seems that the wives love the money & benefits but eventually get fed up running the household and raising kids by themselves.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
How true. I've seen so many marriages bust up. Long term marriages. Seems that the wives love the money & benefits but eventually get fed up running the household and raising kids by themselves.
Meanwhile, our "hard working management team" is home in the bed by 3pm year round. Go rot in a sack, mfers. Hope they die a slow death and take their stock with them.