What all is involved in your 30 day qualification?

***? cardboard box?

Yeah, It got filled by someone else im sure, I can't recall who... I know another guy I had the driving school with, he amde it. I don't understand how... from the way i heard it I was kicking his ass. but apperantly not, lol. In my situation, i just wasn't given a single route and said have at it,, they had be doing lots of different things that held me back. But the guy that I thought was doing worst then me, made it, then a few months later he couldn't take it no more, drove his truck back to the building around noon that day and quit! I heard they hired him back though o_0 (not sure if its true, haven't seen him since)

So, from what im hearing here. What I need to do my next time out, is make sure they keep me on ONE route. And ot let em taking me riding along while they work. So I can do the job, get use to it, kiss ass during my qualification period, and no late service. right?

browniehound

Not so much SPORH but over/under. A new guy can't be 3 hours over everyday. At first maybe a day or two at 3 hours or around that area and then start coming down where in two weeks be a 1-2 hour over. New hire needs to show improvement, but also needs to make service b/c ultimately that is what the job is about.

I agree. What I meant to say is its OK to be paid over 2 hours at first but it should come down everyday until you are scratch ot paid under. I say scratch or paid under because you are skipping you lunch of course, lol.

Fallvitals, SPORH stands for Stops Per On Road Hour I believe. Its basically how many stops you do while on the clock minus your AM time and PM time. Travel time in traffic to and from the route affects your SPORH negatively for example.

Overpaid Union Thug

***? cardboard box?

Yeah, It got filled by someone else im sure, I can't recall who... I know another guy I had the driving school with, he amde it. I don't understand how... from the way i heard it I was kicking his ass. but apperantly not, lol. In my situation, i just wasn't given a single route and said have at it,, they had be doing lots of different things that held me back. But the guy that I thought was doing worst then me, made it, then a few months later he couldn't take it no more, drove his truck back to the building around noon that day and quit! I heard they hired him back though o_0 (not sure if its true, haven't seen him since)

So, from what im hearing here. What I need to do my next time out, is make sure they keep me on ONE route. And ot let em taking me riding along while they work. So I can do the job, get use to it, kiss ass during my qualification period, and no late service. right?

It sounds to me like you kinda got screwed. Most of our preloaders don't load NDAs (some won't load Savers either) so that the drivers don't have to worry about them getting lost in the loads. The very first thing you should do each morning is locate all of the NDAs. If your center is on PAS/EDD then that makes it easier. I always look through the NDA screen and make sure each and every NDA and commercial Saver is accounted for before I leave. Most of our preloaders leave the them sitting outside the trucks so our center has a pretty good history concerning NDAs. If one is missing and I can't find it in the truck then I inform a supervisor that I can't find it.

InTheRed

I agree. What I meant to say is its OK to be paid over 2 hours at first but it should come down everyday until you are scratch ot paid under. I say scratch or paid under because you are skipping you lunch of course, lol.

Better not be skipping lunch.

We have this guy who is a real burner...rabbit...whatever you wanna call it. Insanely fast.

A few of us can do his route pretty quick, but not as quick as him because we care to shut the car off and buckle the seat belt, but anyway....

A few years back there was a PT to FT guy. He was decent as an air driver but I didn't think he had what it took to be a FT driver. The rabbit took an extended vacation and also agreed to be a split when he came back if the guy hadn't made his 30 days yet. When the new guy went out, he was horrible at first, but then he got very good very quick...even to the point he was as fast as the rabbit. Granted most of the route was drop and go, but I would do about 185 stops in 9-9.5, and say 160 in 8. This guy was getting to the point where he was doing 160 in 6.5.

Supervisor came and asked me why the 'new' guy who was also plus sized individual was kicking my butt in production on the same route. I simply told him what I figured as none of us ever saw him for lunch...that he wasn't taking it. Supervisor met him on road one day and insisted he was taking his lunch.

Day 28 came out and the supervisor rode with him...he did 135 stops in 10 hours. Day 28 was the last.

Needless to say... play by the rules. When you cheat, and you get used to it, you don't do very well when you need to follow the rules. The methods are there for a reason, and they're not to harass. Safety, service, and efficiency.

Service Failure

If he was doing 160 stops in 6.5 how would he be only doing 135 stops in 10 hrs? He'd still be pulling 160 stops in 9 hrs at the least by taking his lunch if he were to moving at that pace. I just don't get how someone can be moving at 20+ sporh and then by taking lunch drops down to 13.5.

browniehound

Better not be skipping lunch.

Day 28 came out and the supervisor rode with him...he did 135 stops in 10 hours. Day 28 was the last.

Needless to say... play by the rules. When you cheat, and you get used to it, you don't do very well when you need to follow the rules. The methods are there for a reason, and they're not to harass. Safety, service, and efficiency.

If he did that by following the methods then he should have been OK. He demonstrated his performance in front of management for an entire day.

However if he was fubbling his keys, messing with packages in the back, horrible with the seat belt and hand rail, etc, then he shouldn't make senority.

I think how you perform in front of a manager during your senority ride far out weighs any SPORH that you did or had done.

If you're smooth and safe you'll make it. If you're all over the place and not following the methods you will fail.

brownrodster

. They decided to put me on a different route. So we started this process of training me on this route again. Lets call this route B.

When they do this you automatically qualify. You could have filed a grievence. Seen it happen before.

They are required to leave you on one route. The day they move you to a different route is the day you qualify. If you grieve it.

InTheRed

If he was doing 160 stops in 6.5 how would he be only doing 135 stops in 10 hrs? He'd still be pulling 160 stops in 9 hrs at the least by taking his lunch if he were to moving at that pace. I just don't get how someone can be moving at 20+ sporh and then by taking lunch drops down to 13.5.

Took lunch AND got a full day OJS. Obviously if you cut every corner to try to make book and you get the full day OJS you have to switch back to by-the-book methods, which he wasn't practicing so his SPORH went down the tubes.

InTheRed

If he did that by following the methods then he should have been OK. He demonstrated his performance in front of management for an entire day.

However if he was fubbling his keys, messing with packages in the back, horrible with the seat belt and hand rail, etc, then he shouldn't make senority.

I think how you perform in front of a manager during your senority ride far out weighs any SPORH that you did or had done.

If you're smooth and safe you'll make it. If you're all over the place and not following the methods you will fail.

I'm going to have to agree, but to a point.

I wasn't on the ride, so I can't speak to anything that really happened, but I can only speak to the beginning/end. I know the driver went out with 135, and I know I saw the two of them come back at 7:30 that night. The supervisor looked fairly disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was fumbling with the seat belt and keys and such, but I don't know. From what I know the guy is a good guy and he's a reliable EAM driver as well as a Saturday Air guy. I have no hard feelings but it's just another case of if you don't follow the methods and practice them especially when you are new and starting out, you won't be able to switch them on when you get a visit.

When they do this you automatically qualify. You could have filed a grievence. Seen it happen before.

They are required to leave you on one route. The day they move you to a different route is the day you qualify. If you grieve it.

Didn't know that. :sad-little: I set sometimes and just read the contract for the hell of it,,, but there is really noting listed about qualifying,, just ocne your qualify.....

Wish I had known that then...

Ill also keep the methods in mind. I thought they were usful, but at the time seemed a bit over the top, but after your all's tales.. definantly will do it by the book, everything.

Anyways.... i feel a good bit more informed.

Do I have to take another driving test once I get a bid?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Hey, first post here. I have been with UPS 5 years now, im Part Time. Long story short, I had a bid for a FT package car job back in late 07. Long story short, I was Disqualified.

So... assuming the current economy doesn't get... a lot worst... im going to sign the first driving bids they put up. I am very high on the PT seniority list. I should get it. But, after last time... I knew how the supervisors are... but they showed me a whole new level of UPS... and this time, I want to be as informed as possible. What exactly are their rules for your 30 day qualification?

As far as I know... its not hitting any thing... no late airs... and service in general (which isn't layed out in the contract...)

I busted my butt for em last time... and all I got was its not good enough. (long story short) So this time around,, I want to know all I can.

So, actually I need to get ready to head into the hub and get my 3.5 hours, cause it isn't even a 4 hour job any more... :dissapointed:
Without even knowing it they did you a favor when they DQ'ed you. Don't get involved with the driving job. Life ain't no fun when your a monkey slave:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Without even knowing it they did you a favor when they DQ'ed you. Don't get involved with the driving job. Life ain't no fun when your a monkey slave:wink2:

Driver, just because you had a bad experience in pkg car does not mean that someone else may have a positive one. Yes, it is a job, not unlike many others, but the pay and benefit package are second to none. So pkg car didn't work out for you--whoop dee doo. I think it's time for you to move on.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader

From what I gathered from this - Apparently he was placing a brick on his gas pedal, and launching packages from the car to the stops at lightning speeds. When riding with the supervisor, he had to maintain a safe image and therefore could not complete the stops on a scheduled time using safe habits.

browniehound

I'm going to have to agree, but to a point.

I wasn't on the ride, so I can't speak to anything that really happened, but I can only speak to the beginning/end. I know the driver went out with 135, and I know I saw the two of them come back at 7:30 that night. The supervisor looked fairly disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was fumbling with the seat belt and keys and such, but I don't know. From what I know the guy is a good guy and he's a reliable EAM driver as well as a Saturday Air guy. I have no hard feelings but it's just another case of if you don't follow the methods and practice them especially when you are new and starting out, you won't be able to switch them on when you get a visit.

I hear ya InTheRed, but I speak from experience. I practiced the methods for 30 days prior to my seniority ride. I knew I would have to follow the methods 100% so I just used that time to perfect my methods. After 10 working days I had the methods and the route down.

I never took my entire lunch. I just wanted to make it. My supervisor said I should be at a certain place at a certain time. If I wasn't there I would take it out of my lunch.

Anyway, my senority ride was with the center manager for the entire day. Three weeks earlier he failed a driver because he was driving by too many stops and had to back-track at least 6 times. He also had to write his stops down (before EDD) on a piece of paper because he couldn't remember them and the center manager wouldn't allow this so he drove by all those stops.

I knew this and was prepared for it. Once I sorted the house calls (about 50) I remembered every one. I did everything by the book that day and was told 1 hour in "just don't hit anything and you're golden"

It was a normal day on the route and I didn't finish the businesses until 35 minutes before we needed to start the pick-ups. We did house calls on trace with the businesses but it still left us with 20 after 1730. We finished at 1820 and I still had 25 minutes of lunch and a 10 minute break left.

The center manager wanted to know where we lost time. My first guess would be the time standards? Something took us 20 minutes (two 2 wheeler trips for 30 packages) that he stated I would only be allowed about 6 minutes of time.

We spent the rest of my personal time at a bagel shop speaking about the day. He said that I made senority that day and he was very impressed.

My point is (sorry for the rant) I was over 10 hours and was never over 10 before he rode with me. I got his blessing because of how I performed in front of him for an entire day and not some stupid number generated by I.E.

InTheRed

My point is (sorry for the rant) I was over 10 hours and was never over 10 before he rode with me. I got his blessing because of how I performed in front of him for an entire day and not some stupid number generated by I.E.

Sounds like the make of a good manager. Not everything is all numbers. There is more to it than numbers, but numbers do tell a lot. In your case, the time allowances may not have been enough, and with the ride-along he saw that you did the job as you should have.

buttere

When i qualified 3 years ago we had to run the same route for 30 days and scratch 5 days in a row with no accidents. Assuming you have EDD, you need to find each air package that you're supposed to have before you leave the building. If you can't find one you notify the supervisor. Other than that, as soon as you know which route you will be running, go out on your own time and study it, or familiarize yourself with the area. Do everything by the rules, such as seat belt, bulkhead door closed...walk fast don't run. Also, learn the safety stuff inside and out, it's kind of like kissing up to management. In the end, I think you can get away with doing making mistakes, the managers there decide who makes it and who doesn't..you're not a number yet.

InTheRed

From what I gathered from this - Apparently he was placing a brick on his gas pedal, and launching packages from the car to the stops at lightning speeds. When riding with the supervisor, he had to maintain a safe image and therefore could not complete the stops on a scheduled time using safe habits.

Don't you know if you don't wear a seat belt, don't stop for lunch, leave the door open, and drop and run at every stop you can get done pretty quick too?

In the few days he was laid off and I was on the route I did hear not so good things from the customers...you know those comments you hear sometimes when you're back from vacation... "oh that guy...don't send him back here again!" Like we make the decisions on that. I figured that was something that would pass in time. The guy tried, but when the ride-along came he didn't make the cut.

Service Failure

I didn't mean my initial post to sound like an attack IntheRed. It's just baffling how much time he lost by following the methods. Even with an OJS he still should have cleared it in 9 but i guess that's the point that was trying to be proven. I wouldn't approve of cutting corners but there are times when I feel it's neccessary and you have to think about how you would deliver if a sup were to ride with you. It's never alright to cut ALL corners.

Still, if you were on a route for near 4 weeks and you can only clear 135 stops in 10 then they have no choice but to fail you.

brownrodster

When I was put on my first route after driver training class there was no clear objective for me. They never told me what I had to do to 'make it.' The sup simply rode with me for a few days then I was on my own after that. No one rode with me or even told me I 'made it.' I counted the days and told my center manager I was after my 30 days at which time he said congrats you're in or something similar. I scratched the route every day I did it in my 30 days. I was done and off the clock after my last pickup everyday.

One day my sup showed me a sheet of numbers and told me 'it would be nice if you could bump it up to 18 stops per hour. 'I responded "that's impossible, i'm done with my last pickup everyday. You need to give me more stops to do during the day to get it up that high. I'm doing the route as fast as you can possibly do it every day. All my businesses and res are delivered before pickups'