What are the pros/cons of joining the union?

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
Thanks for the insight guys. From what I've read so far I am definitely considering joining the union as I will be making UPS a career. Better to be insured than uninsured right. BTW are the union dues based off of position or job classification or are they the same for all employees across the board?

Thanks for the insight guys. From what I've read so far I am definitely considering joining the union as I will be making UPS a career. Better to be insured than uninsured right. BTW are the union dues based off of position or job classification or are they the same for all employees across the board?
By how much you make

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I work in a right to work state. I think I can count on one hand how many FT drivers aren't paying dues in our center. If you don't want to join, don't work at a union job. It's pretty hypocritical to say you're against the union when you reap all the benefits. But that would go hand in hand with a scab mentality anyway.

I work in a right to work state. I think I can count on one hand how many FT drivers aren't paying dues in our center. If you don't want to join, don't work at a union job. It's pretty hypocritical to say you're against the union when you reap all the benefits. But that would go hand in hand with a scab mentality anyway.
I could understand for a part timer ( don't like it) who is just passing through

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
w
After leaving work earlier today, as I walk through the guard shack to the parking lot, I see a table set up and about 20 individuals standing there with blue Teamsters shirts on. They didn't try to talk to me at all but I did stop a Teamsters representative in the parking lot to ask a few questions. He informed me he was with the Teamsters organization and if I plan on making UPS a career (which I do) then I should join the union. So I would like to know is it beneficial to join, and what are some of the pros/cons.
what did the Teamster rep say? you wondering if he was telling the truth?

this is what the union did for me. old job about 35k a year ( 1991 ) UPS 1st year 60K. non union job 1 week vaca and no sick days or paid holidays. UPS: 7 weeks vaca, 9 sick days , and i think we got 8 paid holidays. non union job. terrible medical insurance. maybe 50%. high co-pay on prescriptions. UPS: insurance pays 90% . scripts were FREE.

last full year I worked I made 115k in wages and maybe 30-40k in benefits. most all medical was free. all for about $78 a month in union dues. friends that are working non union jobs are making maybe 40-50k a year , with :censored2:ty bennies.

it's a no brainer.

w

what did the Teamster rep say? you wondering if he was telling the truth?

this is what the union did for me. old job about 35k a year ( 1991 ) UPS 1st year 60K. non union job 1 week vaca and no sick days or paid holidays. UPS: 7 weeks vaca, 9 sick days , and i think we got 8 paid holidays. non union job. terrible medical insurance. maybe 50%. high co-pay on prescriptions. UPS: insurance pays 90% . scripts were FREE.

last full year I worked I made 115k in wages and maybe 30-40k in benefits. most all medical was free. all for about $78 a month in union dues. friends that are working non union jobs are making maybe 40-50k a year , with :censored2:ty bennies.

it's a no brainer.
How many years did you work here?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
This is the problem
I have.

Should you have a choice? You bet you should. However when you run into a parked car your steward should be able to laugh at you and say good luck at your next job.
I disagree and agree. If you choose not to join the union then you should choose a different job. Working a union job is more then just having a steward in the office with you. Your also getting the high pay vacation and benefits all negotiated by the union your choosing not to pay. The people who choose not to pay their dues should also have to negotiate their own pay benefits and vacation.

clean hairy

You can join the Union and be one of the Brotherhood, or you can decide not to join, and be treated as a freeloader and become an outcast.
You also have a voice when it comes to vote on issues with the union or the contract.
Your choice.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
After leaving work earlier today, as I walk through the guard shack to the parking lot, I see a table set up and about 20 individuals standing there with blue Teamsters shirts on. They didn't try to talk to me at all but I did stop a Teamsters representative in the parking lot to ask a few questions. He informed me he was with the Teamsters organization and if I plan on making UPS a career (which I do) then I should join the union. So I would like to know is it beneficial to join, and what are some of the pros/cons.
I do not understand this mentality. Do you know why ups drivers make such good money, have such great benfits, retirement and vacation. Its because of the teamsters. And without paying union dues the teamsters will disappear. And so will your pay benefits vacation retirement and everything else that makes this a great job and career.