What are these numbers you speak of?

I see posts about numbers, what's that all about? I've been driving for about 14 years and my numbers are stops, pick ups, pieces and miles... All laid out on a silver platter for me by dispatch...

Is this that made up formula thing again?

Johney

I see posts about numbers, what's that all about? I've been driving for about 14 years and my numbers are stops, pick ups, pieces and miles... All laid out on a silver platter for me by dispatch...

Is this that made up formula thing again?
If you have been driving for UPS for 14 years and you don't know what "numbers" means you must be living under a rock. UPS is all about numbers. SPORH,PPH,over-allowed,under-allowed the list goes on and on and on. Now with telematics the numbers list is endless.

Nope I only deal in REAL numbers... Stops, pick ups and pieces!!! If you'd like to live up to something and they can't even show where it comes from, more power to ya... As for me worrying about "their" numbers, I leave that for the people who actually feel they need to worry!!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Most on here don't care about the numbers game but sometimes it's just nice to talk to other people that understand what you go through. The absurd ness that is their numbers is something we can all relate to no matter what center your out of.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree with the OP....the "numbers" "they" deal with are meaningless. If you recognize them, you might become a slave to them. Better to be free.

UPSGUY72

The only numbers I worry about is the one that gets put into my bank account every Friday....

The others numbers come from people that have no clue what has to happen in order for a package to get delivered in the real world or from people that are to afraid to speak the truth do to possibility of losing their job.

curiousbrain

The only numbers I worry about is the one that gets put into my bank account every Friday....

The others numbers come from people that have no clue what has to happen in order for a package to get delivered in the real world or from people that are to afraid to speak the truth do to possibility of losing their job.

It could also be argued that the people who deliver packages have no idea what has to happen in the real world to make a profit, or they are afraid to consider them, lest they be faced with the reality of modern capitalism.

UPSGUY72

Almost a billion dollars last quarter after paying all the bills UPS isn't hurting for money. If they stopped stepping over a dollar to save a nickel that number might even be higher.

It could also be argued that the people who deliver packages have no idea what has to happen in the real world to make a profit, or they are afraid to consider them, lest they be faced with the reality of modern capitalism.
I love capitalism! And I truly do want UPS to make profits every year. Without those profits, UPS goes under and I lose my job.
At the same time, UPS needs to understand that you can't get blood from a turnip. When drivers have late air because they waste 25 minutes in a meaningless morning meeting, or when we have missed pieces because they cut routes that morning and overdispatched the existing routes, that is management affecting the profits about which you post; not drivers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Shame on you for supporting "modern capitalism"...but worse trying to turn this into an economics or political thread ;)

Buck Fifty

Here are some numbers you might understand and are the only ones that matter. Every minute you are at work before 5, they are throwing 50 cents at you. After 5 they are throwing 75 cents a minute at you. this does not count insurance and pension. I feel like all those video games in the day, catching all those quarters. I watch alot of drivers dodge them. That is what I dont understand.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

One could make the case that UPS management has no idea what has to happen, either.

I work for a company where it is perfectly acceptable to spend $50 in order to save a dime, as long as you can make the dime show up on your report and the $50 show up on someone elses.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here are some numbers you might understand and are the only ones that matter. Every minute you are at work before 5, they are throwing 50 cents at you. After 5 they are throwing 75 cents a minute at you. this does not count insurance and pension. I feel like all those video games in the day, catching all those quarters. I watch alot of drivers dodge them. That is what I dont understand.

There is more to life than money.