What can I do?

Box Ox

Young driver. 5 year seniority and just went FT in package in May. Picked my vacation for October. Week after approached my boss and asked to change if possible ( Next week supposed to be on vacation ) he agrees and writes my name on vacation sheet. Did not receive vacation pay on Friday, and today I approached center manager about it. Later in day get a message from center manager saying my sup ( who's on vacation ) says we never had that conversation when he clearly wrote my name on vacation sheet returning after Labor Day. " There's no way he had you on vacation next week, we're maxed out, you're planned for next week. Your vacation is in October. " Come back to building to see my name crossed off of sheet for next weeks vacation. Not surprised at all with this place. Why would they care about my already paid for vacation.. Anything I can do in this situation?

My experience going FT: Vacations scheduled as a PTer for later in the year were wiped out. All accrued vacation, option and sick days were paid out at my former PT rate. None of any of them for the first FT year. Doesn't matter who says what.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'd be pretty pissed off if the week before Labor Day was closed out and I couldn't get it and I found out that some 5 year driver "worked an agreement" with a sup to change weeks. It's happened before to me with older drivers taking weeks and then swapping them with their younger friends and I raised hell about it and made that older driver suck it up and take the week he picked. They were both pissed but why have a system if you don't use it properly. Seniority gives you the right to your weeks off, not the right to pick weeks for others.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The union can't do anything for you.

Making back room deals with vacations is a no-no.
Having seniority gets you a few advantages and deals like that circumvent the process.
Enjoy your October vacation that you chose
I like how you cut thru all the BS and come up with a great explanation. This what BC is supposed to be about.

PT Car Washer

My experience going FT: Vacations scheduled as a PTer for later in the year were wiped out. All accrued vacation, option and sick days were paid out at my former PT rate. None of any of them for the first FT year. Doesn't matter who says what.
The way it usually works unless you have a real cool boss and vacation plans that cannot change and the Center is fully staffed that week. Most times you will be laid off for part of the year and that will be your vacation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just so you know - you can (if they let you) switch your vacation but the vacation pay is still paid for the week you picked - that will never change.

Apologize tomorrow for getting bent out of shape about the pay when you were wrong and this will probably go along way towards smoothing things over.

The first part of your post is not necessarily true, at least in my center, provided that you give them enough notice on the change.

I am off Thanksgiving week but if for some reason I needed to change it to a week in either September or October I could do it and get paid as though I had originally scheduled in September or October.

I could not walk in this morning, ask for next week off and expect to have my vacation check on Thursday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's not necessarily true. In small centers it happens a lot. When I was a new driver I switched a vacation to get my child's first week of kindergarten off.

You took a whole week off for your child's first week of kindergarten? I could see maybe taking the first day but certainly not the first week.

My daughter and granddaughter are very close and I know that it will be very hard for both when Evie starts kindergarten but I don't see her taking any more than that first day off.

Ms.PacMan

You took a whole week off for your child's first week of kindergarten? I could see maybe taking the first day but certainly not the first week.

I wanted the first day of as an optional and everyone's advise was to just get the week to be certain and one of the senior drivers offered his week to me - so that's what I did.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When you don't get the exact week you want , suck it up buttercup ,, c we've all been there! You don't make back room deals , will that deal be worth it yrs later when the boys in the center still talk about you ??
Keep mouth shut , don't tell anyone or complain , just bang in & come back with a note !!!

clean hairy

Southern Region, the month of Oct is for selecting vacations.
The top 1/3 have the 1st 10 days to select.
the 2nd 3rd, have 10 days.
The bottom 3rd get to pick from the remaining weeks.
Now, a deal for weeks off can be made within each group prior to posting the weeks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Stop. Making. Deals.

Vacation selection times are listed in your supplement, they happen the same times every year. I still don't understand why people don't get it.

rod

Retired 22 years
That's not necessarily true. In small centers it happens a lot. When I was a new driver I switched a vacation to get my child's first week of kindergarten off.

We switched all the time. There is a lot to be said for working out of a small center--with friends. It must really suck to work in a place with lots of drivers.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I swapped out once with driver , I had first week of May , He , had 2nd , he needed to pass papers and move into house , I had a week more seniority , no one complained , even swap affected no one

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I swapped out once with driver , I had first week of May , He , had 2nd , he needed to pass papers and move into house , I had a week more seniority , no one complained , even swap affected no one

Closing?

Stop. Making. Deals.

Vacation selection times are listed in your supplement, they happen the same times every year. I still don't understand why people don't get it.

It is hard to plan for the entire year when we have to select our vacations in January. Things come up and changes need to be made. While I do agree that side deals should be strongly discouraged, swapping weeks should not be an issue as long as everyone in between the two members are consulted in seniority order regarding the swap.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

My daughter and granddaughter are very close and I know that it will be very hard for both when Evie starts kindergarten but I don't see her taking any more than that first day off.
Is this really any of your business