What do managers do all day?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're smoking crack.

Managers never answer phone calls.

You should know that from your "experience."

So true. Most are experts at hiding, especially when things go South. My personal favorite is the locked door at 1600, where the manager is on a "conference call" or some other BS excuse. The entire operation is going to Hell, and he is in there taking a Xanax,curled up in a ball in the corner, hoping the SM isn't in the building.

AB831

You're smoking crack.

Managers never answer phone calls.

You should know that from your "experience."
Nope. They don't answer phone calls you make ten minutes after the sort to work out a problem that they caused, but they have no problem calling you when you're on vacation, when you were out having teeth pulled, at 8 o'clock at night when you got off at 3, etc.

Tuned Out

From what I see, they are buried in never ending paperwork, administrative junk, useless meetings, tracking down mis-sorts and covering their posteriors.
and if you have a HIGH STRUNG senior with an overbearing MD it is even worse..Plus more than you realize they get endless calls from employees about :censored2: customers or an issue with another EE dumping freight etc.. answering about why this swing does a route at 110% and the regular ee is at 92%... or any stupid audit issue they are in charge of that they can get fired for missing something..

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I don't mean that to be a pointed question or to illicit mockery because I know plenty of them don't do much of anything, but what I'm asking is what are their responsibilities once the sort is over and we leave the station?
They go to the center manager's office and take their beatings.

why should we even care?

CatMan

and if you have a HIGH STRUNG senior with an overbearing MD it is even worse..Plus more than you realize they get endless calls from employees about :censored2: customers or an issue with another EE dumping freight etc.. answering about why this swing does a route at 110% and the regular ee is at 92%... or any stupid audit issue they are in charge of that they can get fired for missing something..
We have experienced people on the same route for 15 years constantly asking for help. A swing gets on there and Ace's the route no problem. It's very irritating.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Oh, I love this place.

"My job is harder than a manager's. Managers don't do anything except drink coffee and goof off in the office. They leave after a couple of hours every day, aren't held accountable for anything, and collect bonuses left and right."

"Sounds like cake. Why don't you go be a manager?"

"HOW DARE YOU."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh, I love this place.

"My job is harder than a manager's. Managers don't do anything except drink coffee and goof off in the office. They leave after a couple of hours every day, aren't held accountable for anything, and collect bonuses left and right."

"Sounds like cake. Why don't you go be a manager?"

"HOW DARE YOU."

But, you aren't a manager, right? How would you know any of this? Were you a manager, and then "promoted" into a position you say isn't management?

Not adding-up as legitimate.

59 Dano

But, you aren't a manager, right? How would you know any of this? Were you a manager, and then "promoted" into a position you say isn't management?

Not adding-up as legitimate.

Said it plenty of times that I was an ops manager.

CatMan

A lot of you guys are taking pot shots at DGO managers. The manager I have right now is about as good as they come ! And those are the ones that have a major influence on morale for the loop as a whole . Is he a yes man for our Senior ? Sure! But our senior is also solid, fortunately for us. But unfortunately for the up and coming, the senior isn't the one that dished out the raises.

Indecisi0n

source.gif

MassWineGuy

Seriously. I think most ops managers do work hard. The position dictates that their workload is near impossible.

I’m lucky to at the moment have a mgr who is new to that, but was previously a courier for over 30 years. She says that she’s not going to drink the Kool Aid, and isn’t shy in speaking out about all the corporate BS.

59 Dano

She says that she’s not going to drink the Kool Aid, and isn’t shy in speaking out about all the corporate BS.

In practice that usually amounts to using corporate as your whipping boy for issues that a manager can't/won't fix and to curry favor with the workgroup. Often comes to light in SFA feedback meetings and doesn't reflect well on the manager.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Said it plenty of times that I was an ops manager.

So, you left as an Ops Manager, and now you're back, but not in Ops. Plus, you knew almost nothing about Ops in our recent exchanges. If you're not a manager, and you're not in MEM it's almost exclusively Sales and Ops. Plus, you won't tell us your current "promoted" position.

2+2=5 in your case.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
In practice that usually amounts to using corporate as your whipping boy for issues that a manager can't/won't fix and to curry favor with the workgroup. Often comes to light in SFA feedback meetings and doesn't reflect well on the manager.
God forbid that the workgroup becomes loyal to their manager because he/she identifies with them!
One of my favorite managers explained that Corporate demands required the changes he had to institute, even though he disagreed. That if we had his back he would have ours if it became necessary. And his word was golden, not BS. That's how a team is constructed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
God forbid that the workgroup becomes loyal to their manager because he/she identifies with them!
One of my favorite managers explained that Corporate demands required the changes he had to institute, even though he disagreed. That if we had his back he would have ours if it became necessary. And his word was golden, not BS. That's how a team is constructed.

One of the biggest reasons I (and many others) avoided management is having to sell the MEM line of BS. Of the few managers I actually respected, they all had the same honest approach to it you described in your post. And, yes, it does create a lot of respect and lends itself to the creation of a strong team environment.

I was fortunate to have a manager named Tom L. (they don't let you use last names) who eventually rose high into upper management. Don't know if he's still with FedEx. He was the smartest, most honest, no BS manager I had ever experienced at the company. He had a severely disabled child at home, and I think that gave him a level of compassion and understanding that few exhibit at Express.

He absolutely knew the operation inside and out and actually made decisions and changes that made sense, but were not straight out of the MEM "blanket policy" stupidity that denies the reality that every operation is different and faces varying challenges.

When he left, I bought a card, wrote down some heartfelt thoughts, and took him out for lunch. A rare man.