What do managers do all day?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
God forbid that the workgroup becomes loyal to their manager because he/she identifies with them!
One of my favorite managers explained that Corporate demands required the changes he had to institute, even though he disagreed. That if we had his back he would have ours if it became necessary. And his word was golden, not BS. That's how a team is constructed.
The last manager I had was the best I ever had. If I absolutely HAD to come up with one thing he did wrong it was that he was TOO nice and a few people took advantage of it. He had the old school Fedex management mentality that they were there to help us do our jobs better. Awesome manager and person.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So, you left as an Ops Manager, and now you're back, but not in Ops. Plus, you knew almost nothing about Ops in our recent exchanges. If you're not a manager, and you're not in MEM it's almost exclusively Sales and Ops. Plus, you won't tell us your current "promoted" position.

2+2=5 in your case.
He's got some cushy desk job where he picks arbitrary numbers, puts them in a hat, pulls them out and puts it on some meaningless graphs that sit in his boss's desk drawer and gather dust. His other duties include being a ZapMail representative and a team weasel at Station One.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He's got some cushy desk job where he picks arbitrary numbers, puts them in a hat, pulls them out and puts it on some meaningless graphs that sit in his boss's desk drawer and gather dust. His other duties include being a ZapMail representative and a team weasel at Station One.

He doesn't add-up at all.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

59 Dano

God forbid that the workgroup becomes loyal to their manager because he/she identifies with them!
One of my favorite managers explained that Corporate demands required the changes he had to institute, even though he disagreed. That if we had his back he would have ours if it became necessary. And his word was golden, not BS. That's how a team is constructed.

There is a great difference between disagreeing with something that comes from corporate and using corporate as an excuse.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No.

Yes.

Wrong.

I am a manager.

2+2=4 in my case, you just suck at math.

You've said you were a manager, left, and then came back, but not as a manager. What do you "manage", and why the multiple versions of your story. An ops manager who knows very little about operations, plus you won't tell us what you do know, besides shill and troll.

2+2 stlll equals 5 for you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

He alters the reports so all of the numbers are always 100% or what MEM wants them to be. A lot of managers are very good at it.

Tuned Out

Dude I worked from home all day and didn't take a shower. I got time.
Why do you fight them or is it entertaining?? I laugh at people who hate this company so much but stay 'BECAUSE I SPENT TOO MANY YEARS ETC'.. BUT if you got out when you 1st saw 'how bad it is' then you would be in a 'cushy' job.. You should of taken the hit instead of being miserable for a good part of your life.. So I laugh at your misery that you allowed to stay in your life..

59 Dano

Why do you fight them or is it entertaining?? I laugh at people who hate this company so much but stay 'BECAUSE I SPENT TOO MANY YEARS ETC'.. BUT if you got out when you 1st saw 'how bad it is' then you would be in a 'cushy' job.. You should of taken the hit instead of being miserable for a good part of your life.. So I laugh at your misery that you allowed to stay in your life..

It's entertaining. They jabber on and on about cushy jobs. The easiest job I've had at Express was courier. Only had to worry about the performance of one person, my workload consisted of exactly one day's work each day, no projects to worry about, could drop some of my work to someone else if I wanted to, never really had much to answer for, and so on.

Would love to have a cushy job but they don't exist.

59 Dano

OK, so you're not a manager, unless you sometimes are. Your position? Still waiting to hear about the death at PDXR.

I don't know anything about a death at PDXR. I've posted that my position is at the regional level - Southeast. PDX isn't in the southeast region, and I don't know why you're so concerned with what I think of PDX.

I've never denied that I'm a manager.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know anything about a death at PDXR. I've posted that my position is at the regional level - Southeast. PDX isn't in the southeast region, and I don't know why you're so concerned with what I think of PDX.

I've never denied that I'm a manager.

You said you were an Ops Manager before, but you're not a "promoted" manager now? Yeah, sure. Any and all system deaths and illnesses were NOT on any conference calls or internal memos.

Indecisi0n

giphy.gif

59 Dano

You said you were an Ops Manager before, but you're not a "promoted" manager now? Yeah, sure.

I was an ops manager. I am not an ops manager any longer. Work at the regional level and manage around a dozen people as part of my duties. It's what some would call a technical/professional position and it includes much of what I did before I left with a bunch of other stuff thrown in. Position came about as a result of VBOs and other changes. Title is manager. HTH!

Any and all system deaths and illnesses were NOT on any conference calls or internal memos.

OK.

vantexan

I was an ops manager. I am not an ops manager any longer. Work at the regional level and manage around a dozen people as part of my duties. It's what some would call a technical/professional position and it includes much of what I did before I left with a bunch of other stuff thrown in. Position came about as a result of VBOs and other changes. Title is manager. HTH!

OK.
You're managing engineers, aren't you? Would explain all the free time to come on here during the day.