what do you know about the diad IV ?

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
does anybody know if the center stores messages to and from your diad 4 and how long for?

The only way I know of "storing" messages is by print screening them. Maybe we are just retarded where we are but once deleted off the screen its gone, I've looked through the ODS report client many times for something about retrieving ODS mesages in the center, but to no avail.

They are somewhere though. I don't know if this ODS outage affected the entire company but maybe 2 months ago sprint had some frame relay issue and ODS was out totally, the night before it crapped I got 400+ messages at the same time, it was everything that had been sent and recieved for the whole day.

rngri4

DPS Dispatch Planning System.

I don't know what version of DPS you are using but ours does not track people in real time. I *think* you can pull stuff from the day before, but definitely not real time. DPS is for planning dispatch, the dispatch sups come in at 3 am and deal with what the reality of the preload is today and before they leave they make their plan for tomorrow with it, and then the machine sits idle for the rest of the day. Believe me if there was a GPS tracking system I would be all over it, not for anything sinister but to choose the people correct people to ask for help with PU's or stops.

I went to a development meeting once for center of the future stuff and they were yapping about GPS being part of the DCS (DIAD Control System) which makes a lot more sense because the OMS sits in front of it all day.

When ever drivers are suspected of screwing off we pull the SPARCS (don't know what that acronym means) and it goes stop by stop with the times at and in between each stop.

Nothing tracks it real time, never said it did! But I can still use DPS to see which drivers I put on DPS did, with delivery times etc...don't give away all the secrets VoiceOfReason, some of us PDS's still keep some secret that we don't want people to know about......and yes there is a realtime GPS available as of yesterday, but only certain district and center full time staff have access, sort of like a BETA test, the real version will be coming out very soon, but you will learn a lot when it finally comes out in operational status.

rngri4

The only way I know of "storing" messages is by print screening them. Maybe we are just retarded where we are but once deleted off the screen its gone, I've looked through the ODS report client many times for something about retrieving ODS mesages in the center, but to no avail.

They are somewhere though. I don't know if this ODS outage affected the entire company but maybe 2 months ago sprint had some frame relay issue and ODS was out totally, the night before it crapped I got 400+ messages at the same time, it was everything that had been sent and recieved for the whole day.

Again like I said, DPS has GPS Enabled, please don't give away anymore secrets, or we won't be able to fire anyone else this week....lol. Anyway, if your center has DPS, it has GPS as well on the new DIAD 4 Boards, but if you run your plan etc, they will never put you on the GPS Enabled System, which you won't know anyway, but just be aware, realtime GPS is only months away for everyone. So get friendly with your PM OMS's, excuse me, Package Center Supervisors, because when that comes into effect, you will be required to make the pickups you are closest to at the time!

browniehound

Again like I said, DPS has GPS Enabled, please don't give away anymore secrets, or we won't be able to fire anyone else this week....lol. Anyway, if your center has DPS, it has GPS as well on the new DIAD 4 Boards, but if you run your plan etc, they will never put you on the GPS Enabled System, which you won't know anyway, but just be aware, realtime GPS is only months away for everyone. So get friendly with your PM OMS's, excuse me, Package Center Supervisors, because when that comes into effect, you will be required to make the pickups you are closest to at the time!

Here we go again. It doesn't make any freaking sense to just send the closest driver to an oca. Would it make sense to send someone for a pickup who, at the time is closer than the driver that is going to go to that office building for a scheduled pick-up later in the day? I can just see some idiot OMS and yes, they ARE all idiots at least where i come from, sitting in front of a screen sending out oca to a truck because its closest on a map. Mind you, none of these people have any idea on the trace these drivers make. I see more wasted miles here, just like PAS

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Here we go again. It doesn't make any freaking sense to just send the closest driver to an oca. Would it make sense to send someone for a pickup who, at the time is closer than the driver that is going to go to that office building for a scheduled pick-up later in the day? I can just see some idiot OMS and yes, they ARE all idiots at least where i come from, sitting in front of a screen sending out oca to a truck because its closest on a map. Mind you, none of these people have any idea on the trace these drivers make. I see more wasted miles here, just like PAS

I see your point about OCA's. A lazy OMS would just put it on whoever is close regardless of route. Hopefully the full timers in the office would express the use of the GPS for emergencies only like skids hanging.

rngri4

I'm not disagreeing at all, I have stated my displeasure with the PM OMS's many times, and you know as well as I do, you will be required to make a pickup you are close, but you better make the ones already assigned to you as well. The real time GPS is still a few month, maybe up to a year away, and you can enable x amount of drivers each day for GPS, and track them the next day.

rngri4

DPS Dispatch Planning System.

I don't know what version of DPS you are using but ours does not track people in real time. I *think* you can pull stuff from the day before, but definitely not real time. DPS is for planning dispatch, the dispatch sups come in at 3 am and deal with what the reality of the preload is today and before they leave they make their plan for tomorrow with it, and then the machine sits idle for the rest of the day. Believe me if there was a GPS tracking system I would be all over it, not for anything sinister but to choose the people correct people to ask for help with PU's or stops.

I went to a development meeting once for center of the future stuff and they were yapping about GPS being part of the DCS (DIAD Control System) which makes a lot more sense because the OMS sits in front of it all day.

When ever drivers are suspected of screwing off we pull the SPARCS (don't know what that acronym means) and it goes stop by stop with the times at and in between each stop.

SPARCS, and its little dog is about the most inaccurate tool we have anymore, because until ALL timecards are right, it is useless, so Sparky, when he fetches the information may as well **** on it as well

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
SPARCS, and its little dog is about the most inaccurate tool we have anymore, because until ALL timecards are right, it is useless, so Sparky, when he fetches the information may as well **** on it as well

Its an after the fact thing, other than it being the next day I don't know whats inaccurate about it.

DS

Fenderbender
There are lots of variables when it comes to ODS pickups.
Often they come in bunches at 4pm with a 5pm close.
If you have regular scheduled pick ups which most drivers do,
It becomes a saftey problem to get it all done in that time frame.
Some drivers come back almost cubed out every night,and accepting an ODS can oftimes prevent them from fulifilling thier regular customers needs.IMHO I can`t see gps helping them much at all except for digging out the slackers.Just because you are right beside the acme pillow company does not mean you have the room for 150 boxes of pillows.
I had a GPS unit in my truck for a day a few years ago.They told us they were trying to save fuel...whatever...They gave us printouts the next day showing our area,each stop color coded by how much time we spent at each stop.