What does fed ex "buying there route" mean anyways?

margaritaville

I never want to work there. However i hear their drivers "buy" their route. I also see them parked at the personal home a lot more. Whenever i see a UPS driver parked at his home i assume because his house is on his route. But when i see a fed ex driver parked at his home. I assume he leaves it there overnight?

I assume you need senority to get a route there too but what is this "buying a route" thing? Was always curious.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never want to work there. However i hear their drivers "buy" their route. I also see them parked at the personal home a lot more. Whenever i see a UPS driver parked at his home i assume because his house is on his route. But when i see a fed ex driver parked at his home. I assume he leaves it there overnight?

I assume you need senority to get a route there too but what is this "buying a route" thing? Was always curious.

FedEx Ground drivers are not employees of FedEx Inc. When Ground first started the drivers owned their routes---now they work for a contractor.

llamainmypocket

I believe Fedex is partly fanchised. They give someone access to the brand, standards for operation, and let them grow the company on their own dollar. Think McDonald's and KFC. To buy your route probably literrally means buying your route. If i understand it correctly, it's still a really crappy deal. Can you make a lot of money as a franchisee for FedEx but many don't.

llamainmypocket

FedEx has two divisions. There's FedEx ground (i think) and FedEx express. FedEx Express operates like us with overnight and 2nd day within a corporate structure. FedEx ground works like KFC. You buy the building, the chicken, deep fry it, pay your employees ect.

Anyway, it's been a long while since i looked into this so i may be off here or there.

llamainmypocket

Interesting so you cant move up in the hub? Or do people that "own" the routes just pay high senority hub employees to drive for them?

Nope. Nothing like ups. Drivers are hired off the street. It's somewhere between pizza delivery and being a package car driver but paying less than both. Not a sweet deal.

margaritaville

Seems really confusing since more routes open during peak and what not. And lazy drivers who own certain areas and only want to work certain hours a day. The whole thing just seems weird. Happy to be at UPS.

oldngray

nowhere special
grammar nazi comfort.jpg

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Fedex Ground operators purchase their delivery areas, then often contract them out to subcontractors. I know a couple who owns 6 route areas and have multiple trucks and employees.

S

selfcancelsignal

Do Fed Ground & Home delivery drivers load their own trucks? What about FedEx? I can't imagine working PT loading, unloading, or sorting for any of them. Probably make $3.85 an hour. & safety measures? Fuggitaboutit. Never turn off their trucks. Rarely close their bulkhead doors. Do know a couple of them from my pre UPS days doing dock work. Good dudes, but boy do they take it up the wazoo! Time to unionize!

johnny_hotdog

I think I saw a fedex ground route for sale a while back. A friend was telling me about it and was considering it. I thought he said it was $80,000 to buy the route but I could be wrong. He aslo said the ad made it seem you would make around $80,000 a year. Now I believe that when you buy a route you are buying the truck and all that as well. But you also have to pay for all your gas and truck maintenace. Plus I do not believe you are entitled to any paid vacation. The drivers are also paid by the piece so the more work they do they more they make. In theory they could make a lot of money but after paying for your truck, no vacation and all that It doesnt sound very good. One of the fedex ground guys I see alot has complained for years to me. He actually just quit a couple months ago.