What does Memphis do about this?

rod

Retired 22 years
You cannot prove the flag burning was illegal in that city because it isn't. You can prove that burning without a permit is illegal but it is obvious that no attempt was made to find out if they had that permit. In fact, it can be proven that he made no such inquiry. Therefore that he is even cognizant of what the law actually is is highly questionable.

I've never seen anything about a "permit" being available. All I've read is that open burning is against the law in that city--period.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I believe that would be the idea of a protest. To get your view point across to as many people as you can. The same as a terrorist act. Shock as many people as you can to publicize your grievance. The larger the shock, the more the exposure.

No one cares other than us, and the only reason we care is because he works for FedEx.

59 Dano

You cannot prove the flag burning was illegal in that city because it isn't. You can prove that burning without a permit is illegal but it is obvious that no attempt was made to find out if they had that permit. In fact, it can be proven that he made no such inquiry.

OK then, prove it.

59 Dano

I will answer with another question. When was the last time you witnessed anyone spitting on a returning soldier?

I can't say I've ever seen anyone spitting on a soldier. What I can say is that I don't know a single cop who would arrest said soldier for knocking the stew out of someone who spit on him. Not a single one.

59 Dano

Doesn't have to be. Punitive damages are awarded all the time for people and companies acting poorly.

Really? Show me a comparable case with such an penalty imposed on a person. Shouldn't be hard since it happens "all the time."

And BTW, I'll happily put my experience with civil litigation against yours.

bbsam

Staff member
I can't say I've ever seen anyone spitting on a soldier. What I can say is that I don't know a single cop who would arrest said soldier for knocking the stew out of someone who spit on him. Not a single one.
Van tried to make a point about left of center folks. It was an outdated, stupid stereotype. He knows it, I know it and he looks silly for bringing it up.

59 Dano

Van tried to make a point about left of center folks. It was an outdated, stupid stereotype. He knows it, I know it and he looks silly for bringing it up.

He should reference the updated one that is more accurate: liberals prefer to riot in large numbers because they got tired of getting punched in the face.

bbsam

Staff member
Really? Show me a comparable case with such an penalty imposed on a person. Shouldn't be hard since it happens "all the time."

And BTW, I'll happily put my experience with civil litigation against yours.
Let's start with a definition.

Punitive damages - Wikipedia

And it would be coming from FedEx, not the individual. Since he was driving a FedEx vehicle, used a FedEx extinguisher, wore a FedEx uniform...

Now in your experience with civil litigation, are you truly saying you don't see how FedEx is open to a lawsuit?

bbsam

Staff member
He should reference the updated one that is more accurate: liberals prefer to riot in large numbers because they got tired of getting punched in the face.
That's just ...well, stupid. I see why van stayed away from that line of argument.

Ttsefv. (That's too stupid even for van)

59 Dano

Let's start with a definition.

Punitive damages - Wikipedia

And it would be coming from FedEx, not the individual. Since he was driving a FedEx vehicle, used a FedEx extinguisher, wore a FedEx uniform...

Now in your experience with civil litigation, are you truly saying you don't see how FedEx is open to a lawsuit?

Open to a lawsuit? Absolutely. Open to LOSING a lawsuit in these circumstances? Iffy. Open to punitive damages of any substantial amount? LOLOLOLOLOL.

bbsam

Staff member
Open to a lawsuit? Absolutely. Open to LOSING a lawsuit in these circumstances? Iffy. Open to punitive damages of any substantial amount? LOLOLOLOLOL.
Lady spilled hot coffee in her lap. How much did McDonald's pay?

If you think a court is going to sit by and let a huge multinational company with billions of dollars and million dollar lawyers look approvingly as one of it's on the clock employees attempts trample over an individual's constitutionally protected freedoms...no. There is no way a court looks at that and accepts it. So what do they do? Award punitive damages so that FedEx won't stand behind it in the future and no other company will be tempted to do so either.

By the way, since it's official statement, Fedex has put out nothing through the management channels. I have a strong suspicion this isn't over.

59 Dano

Lady spilled hot coffee in her lap. How much did McDonald's pay?

If you think a court is going to sit by and let a huge multinational company with billions of dollars and million dollar lawyers look approvingly as one of it's on the clock employees attempts trample over an individual's constitutionally protected freedoms...no. There is no way a court looks at that and accepts it. So what do they do? Award punitive damages so that FedEx won't stand behind it in the future and no other company will be tempted to do so either.

How you decided that this was a good comparison is beyond me. Then again, 99 people out of 100 who talk about this case don't know much about it other than "hot coffee, burn, money." McD's paid no punitive damages in this case. They settled out of court for a sum that was commensurate with what they'd paid other customers who'd suffered 3rd degree burns from coffee spills over the previous decade.

Last edited: