what happens if we do go on strike?

co-chair

We are not going on strike this bs just so union can say look what we did for you agree ment in 2 weeks . Not everybody will like but thats the way the cookie crumbles. If you read PROPOSALS union looking for 1.50 per hour h&w thats .50 per hour that we will not get .they will take there cut first count on it and yes its 55 dollar a week we would get if we strike it was 200 a week just before we went out in 1997 but was lowered back to 55 just before that the union was broke until afl/cio gave us 10 million dollar a week loan . Look up ron carey on wilkipedia and you will know what i talking about.PLUS WE ARE A PUBLIC COMPANY VANGUARD AND FIDELITY WOULD BE ALL OVER SCOTT DAVIS . PLUS THAT UPS IS THE HIGHEST CONTRIBUTOR TO PENSION AND HEALTH AND WELFARE FUNDS US IN TEAMSTERS H&W PLANS WOULD NOT SURVIVE 2 WEEKS WE WOULD BE BROKE OUR INSURANCE WOULD BE BE CUT OFF FOR A PERIOD OF TIME . NOBODY WINS ONLY FEDEX AND POST OFFICE AND DHL TAKE IT TO THE BANK 33 YEARS AT UPS I KNOW WTF IM TALKING ABOUT

Last edited:
Dracula,

You've spoken like a true prodigy. Hoffa Jr., will never have the balls to strike UPS. As I write this comment he's out on the golf course working on his handicap with Scott Davis and the union are covering the tab. Hoffa Jr., and his disciple hall are gutless cowards that will sell us out when this is all set and done!
You cant swim with cement shoes on!!!Just ask his dad cruell but true!

No Syncro

Worried about a strike? Then pay down bills as much as you can. Don't take a caribbean cruise until the contract is settled. Remember that although the strike fund will pay more under the current system dues will be taken out of the strike payment. Persons who have fallen behind on their dues will get little or nothing. In '97 UPS had not paid into medical plans or done dues payments prior to the strike. Go see the dentist or Dr NOW while you know you are covered. Put as much money aside as you can manage. The '97 strike lasted 16 days, plan on 20. If you are afraid that a strike may happen act like it is absolutely going to happen. Management will be talking to workers and trying to figure how determined they are. The best way to avoid a strike is to show them you are prepared for the long haul.

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
DRACULA,

You HAVE ZERO knowledge of current negotiations and those of prior negotiations. In 1997, the company maintained the EXACT approach as they are taking today.

So far, come this sunday, March 31st, the TEAMSTERS are walking away from negotiations and have NO INTEREST in scheduling further negotiations for any reasons. At that point, the COMPANY will have to withdraw its current proposals and RE PROPOSE an entirely different offer to the TEAMSTERS.

The Teamsters have made their offer and will not budge on it. The company has offered it proposals and are not budging.

Where you see DAYLIGHT in this scenario is beyond me. If you want to tell us that you are comfortable with "happy talk" cause it makes you feel good, then ok, but in reality, no matter what criteria is currently the case with financials, it does not change the circumstances of our current negotiations.

In other words. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE :censored2:YOUR TALKING ABOUT.

Peace

TOS

Yeah, we'll see. You think WAY too much of Hoffa.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I cant help but think since Economic Proposals (which are always the LAST issue negotiated in a contract ) are now being discussed that the vast majority of the contract has been settled. Word on teh Street in my Local is almost all of the supplements are now done as well

Non sequitur

My buddy (ex ftdriver) and I are starting a business together. We expect to outearn UPS money pretty quick. What alot of us wage slaves fail to realize is that once you come up with a good idea, with the work ethic you already have, you will quickly make more money than working for someone who has to constantly intimidate you in order that you fell insecure and won't leave. The new capitalism is about exploitation baby. And yes this "business" will be undercutting another big fatcat company.

browndevil

I cant help but think since Economic Proposals (which are always the LAST issue negotiated in a contract ) are now being discussed that the vast majority of the contract has been settled. Word on teh Street in my Local is almost all of the supplements are now done as well

Yep, me thinks something will happen by Friday.

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
I have a couple of questions. I know a strike might not be likely but if that did happen why do we have to be at the pickett line? I really don't feel like standing outside of UPS for hours a day just to pickett? And what exactly does crossing the pickett line mean? Does that just mean you walk into work and work and get paid the same and everything or what?

stink219

I have a couple of questions. I know a strike might not be likely but if that did happen why do we have to be at the pickett line? I really don't feel like standing outside of UPS for hours a day just to pickett? And what exactly does crossing the pickett line mean? Does that just mean you walk into work and work and get paid the same and everything or what?
Are you kidding me right now? Dude, please go into management!!

upser92

You'd probably make more. All because we're obsessed with not paying for healthcare, yet the union supported a man who came up with a plan that permanently friend*ed us over. Health insurance is going to become so expensive now it's outrageous, as demand is absolutely mandatory or else

i know i have been contributing to a Union Strike Fund since shortly after the '97 Strike (I believe they started deducting $5 or $7 per month per union member in early '98) and we were told it was so that if and when we went on strike again we would be able to receive substantially more than the $55 a week we got in '97 -- half our regular wage was what we were told was the plan. I asked my shop steward about it a week or so ago and he said the funds are there and there have only been a couple of strikes that drew on the fund since its inception and none of the strikes drew much out of the fund. It will be interesting to see if the funds are there and if the union uses the money for what we were told it would be used for. Even if it was $5 a month for the past 15 years -- plus interest on all that money -- sounds like a substantial strike fund at our disposal. Most people i work with don't even know they are contributing to this fund to this day because they weren't around in '97.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't "have to be" at the picket line. I agree with you that spending hours outside of UPS is not a very productive use of our time. This is why I found a job and worked during the 1997 strike. You should know that if you choose not to spend time on the picket line that you will forfeit your strike pay.

Now, "crossing the picket line" is the absolute last thing that you want to do. Yes, you would get paid the same and everything, but you would also have told your co-workers that you don't support the strike and are more concerned about yourself. Depending upon where you work the reaction from your co-workers could range from giving you the cold shoulder all the way to vandalizing your car or destroying your personal property. You don't want to to cross a picket line!!

balland chain

I agree. Please stop and consider prior to crossing a picket line that the reason there is a picket line, is that WE are fighting for all UPSers as a whole. Having our hourly coworkers cross a picket line sends a message not only to your coworkers, but it sends a message to the company that you are in agreement with the offer they have given us (if there is one) or the current contract that we are working under. Think about it like this, I dont know your job classification, but, if lets say the contract is great (?) but gives better benefits to the full timers as opposed to the part timers, or vice versa, if we are on strike it is because WE are fighting for a fair contract for all. Crossing that line basically says I dont care. Save some money each week and if it comes down to a strike, use your savings to cover your bills, at least a mortgage (rent) payment, and car payment if you have one. If you do have some credit card bills, call them, explain the situation, and they should work with you. If we do strike, it should not be for long as the company looses a ton each day, plus the customers confidence in the future..

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
I was just wondering what would happen. I'm not going to cross the line at all but I could see if youre a guy who absolutely needs money to provide for your family how it would cross your mind. And as for standing outside of UPS picketing, I get it, I do. But it's going to be August and here in Cincinnati it gets extremely hot during that time and the management in our building could probably give a rats you know what if were outside or not. They're just waiting for the call for the strike to be over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If we do go on strike we would be locked out of the facility so any picketing that we would do would not be on UPS property. Yes, it would be very hot and, yes, they would not give a rat's ass about us. That is the nature of a work stoppage.

The one thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that after a strike we all need to work together and that it is best not to burn any bridges. We had a guy who said all sorts of stupid things while on the picket line----he left the company shortly after we went back to work. I don't remember if he left on his own or if he was fired---all I remember is that he kept running his mouth.