what happens if we do go on strike?

oldupsman

All I did was take it off the IBT website.
That's sort of like saying, "It's on the internet so it must be true." At on time my local had a retirement calculator table
posted on the union board. It had guys with 30 years in 2016 getting 8000 a month. Needless to say it is no longer on the board.
Don't they understand when they make up crap like this they lose credibility.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When strikers stop working, they do not receive their normal paychecks, but they will receive some money from the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Strike Fund. Many local unions also maintain their own strike funds to help their workers through difficult times. Local strike benefits are determined by the local. Strike benefits from the International Union are based on the following formula:

If you earn less than $11 per hour, you will receive between $75 and $110 per week. For all other members, strike pay is equivalent to four times your monthly dues amount per week. For example, if your monthly dues payment is $70, you will receive $280 per week (70 x 4 = 280).
So I'm looking at $388.00
Better than $55 in 97.

You'll have to show me some documentation on this. There is no way the union can afford strike benefits like this.

stink219

All I did was take it off the IBT website.
That's sort of like saying, "It's on the internet so it must be true." At on time my local had a retirement calculator table
posted on the union board. It had guys with 30 years in 2016 getting 8000 a month. Needless to say it is no longer on the board.
Don't they understand when they make up crap like this they lose credibility.
You forgot "grumpy" before your profile name.

oldupsman

Oh heck stink, not meant to be personal at all. Like you said you got it off the IBT website. But it's putting out false
info like this that the Teamsters make me angry because when the young people don't get what they're promised they
turn the union off. And in right to work states they don't even join. Why even put something that blatantly false
on the website. Do they really think we're all just a bunch of sheep following idiots?

stink219

Oh heck stink, not meant to be personal at all. Like you said you got it off the IBT website. But it's putting out false
info like this that the Teamsters make me angry because when the young people don't get what they're promised they
turn the union off. And in right to work states they don't even join. Why even put something that blatantly false
on the website. Do they really think we're all just a bunch of sheep following idiots?
But how do we or you know its false? Are you basing this on the premise of us getting $55 a week in 97? You do know there was a reason for that right?This is what boggles my mind. People can't or won't believe what is posted on the IBT website, yet follow blindly of blatant lies on other websites. Zero confidence.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
But how do we or you know its false? Are you basing this on the premise of us getting $55 a week in 97? You do know there was a reason for that right?This is what boggles my mind. People can't or won't believe what is posted on the IBT website, yet follow blindly of blatant lies on other websites. Zero confidence.
If your dealing with Hoffa's teamsters, get it in writing.

stink219

So are you guys saying that just because it's written on a website that it doesn't make the statement true? Please answer my question!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If anyone is basing their decision whether or not to strike on the amount of strike pay available needs to take a hard look at their finances. Especially Full-Timers.

BCFan

Something about this statement stinks...

So in the first week, the Teamsters are prepared to pay their members over $35 million?
And every week thereafter?

I bet the Teamsters management is hoping everyone goes out and gets a job so they don't have to pay this out ... not that they could fund one week anyway.
I wonder how many temp jobs are out there this time compared to 1997?

FYI in your area of the world Hoax, the local has a very comfortable war chest. This due to the great stewardship we have in place at the top. Still I agree don't count chickens before hatching. Prepare and conquer is my motto during this trying period. Last strike I picketed every nite at air facility and never received nor requested any strike fund monies. Fraternally ,BC

twoweeled

I have a couple of questions. I know a strike might not be likely but if that did happen why do we have to be at the pickett line? I really don't feel like standing outside of UPS for hours a day just to pickett? And what exactly does crossing the pickett line mean? Does that just mean you walk into work and work and get paid the same and everything or what?

I hope your kidding...

stink219

I have a couple of questions. I know a strike might not be likely but if that did happen why do we have to be at the pickett line? I really don't feel like standing outside of UPS for hours a day just to pickett? And what exactly does crossing the pickett line mean? Does that just mean you walk into work and work and get paid the same and everything or what?

I hope your kidding...
Yeah, just cross the picket line. It's really that simple. I'm sure everyone will make a nice big area for you to walk through. Expect a bunch of pats on the back and some hi fives. Other than that it's smooth sailing. What is your license plate # again?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
i know i have been contributing to a Union Strike Fund since shortly after the '97 Strike (I believe they started deducting $5 or $7 per month per union member in early '98) and we were told it was so that if and when we went on strike again we would be able to receive substantially more than the $55 a week we got in '97 -- half our regular wage was what we were told was the plan. I asked my shop steward about it a week or so ago and he said the funds are there and there have only been a couple of strikes that drew on the fund since its inception and none of the strikes drew much out of the fund. It will be interesting to see if the funds are there and if the union uses the money for what we were told it would be used for. Even if it was $5 a month for the past 15 years -- plus interest on all that money -- sounds like a substantial strike fund at our disposal. Most people i work with don't even know they are contributing to this fund to this day because they weren't around in '97.

$20 a month over 15 years at 4% would now be $4930.91! So, the union can pay you around $750 a week for a 6 weeks!

Asskicker

Now think again about this. How many people that apply to UPS leave before they even work a week? Most people can't and won't handle the working conditions we deal with every day. We are a very very tough bunch of people like no other. Also who usually trains these new hires? I know there are jobs like package clerks that the sups in charge don't even know how to do the job much less train somebody. Now imagine this happening world wide. Hahahahahaha!!!!!! UPS would not be running efficiently for years if this happened. FedEx would soon take over as the top shipper. So don't let that worry you one bit. It absolutely will never happen. And also think about the fact that they have trimmed Management sooooo thin that they wouldn't even be able to do as much as they did in '97. And that really wasn't very much. No....we absolutely are holding all of the cards and the Union better show up for us on this contract!!

Asskicker

Hey Stink I think I read that you were here in '97 right? The Union had never dealt with a strike before and were so unorganized that some people to this day never got paid. You were supposed to sign in and out or something and the Union handled paying up horribly. We never even got a paycheck until a couple weeks after we had returned to work. So for them to give some amount on the website is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure the Union has quite a bit of money for striking employees now, but I can't remember getting a summary of these funds every year so the members know where we stand, have you? They've been taking this money for quite some time and are earning interest on it, and we should all be privy to this information. THAT IS OUR MONEY!! Or is it just funding for another Vegas trip for the fat cats in the hall if we don't strike. I'm am really against giving money to anyone for anything and not seeing where that money is. What about you? They really let us down with their big promises of paychecks in '97 so the trust really isn't there. Don't be too quick to believe what they say either.

stink219

Well, I always give the benefit of the doubt. You are correct. I was on the line in 97. I did get my checks. The strike fund should be higher now. If we were to strike and didn't get what is posted, then the naysayers are right. Anyone know any teamsters on strike right now or recently? See what they got. If it equals out, nothing to worry about. Not to get off topic, but I had some fun in 97. I was very "creative" in my protesting of the company.