What is entailed in the road test for a driver?

Tough Guy

By seniority I likely have several years to go, but I'm just curious as to the current road test criteria. I know you have to go to school for a few days, pass a written exam, and then you are given the road test?

Do they do a "group" road test? Like there's several people there, and the instructor takes you out one at a time? Or do they schedule you individually? And do you actually go out and about? Or simply driven around a yard in the hub? I'm sure it may vary by region but I've heard both scenarios.

And as for what you actually do, I understand you lose "points" for doing something against the criteria? Like I heard if you have a stall-out (on a stick) you lose x amount of points, or something to that effect. Just curious about what and all is entailed in it.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You take the road test before you're sent off to UPS School.

There's a criteria check list, but how tough the exam is depends on who's administering it. Reality is, if they want to pass you (and you can drive a stick / handle a truck, even if somewhat rusty) they will, if they don't, you'll fail. It's taken with you and the administer, but there may be others doing it the same day. Here, some of the driver sups administer it, sometimes an HR person does it, sometimes they force you to drive to the main hub which is about an hour's drive from the building.

oldngray

nowhere special
The road test is very dependent on who is testing you but if you can drive a stick without too much trouble and have a general ability to control the vehicle you should pass.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
According to Bagels, it's an unskilled menial position ( I had to, Bagel :wink2:)

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you're in

newarkster

When I took mine it was in a training package car, it had seats for the instructor next to me and about 12 seats behind, like a bus. Every time the driver stepped on the brake or clutch there were big lighted sign that lit up above me so the rest of the class can see what I was doing.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I took mine it was in a training package car, it had seats for the instructor next to me and about 12 seats behind, like a bus. Every time the driver stepped on the brake or clutch there were big lighted sign that lit up above me so the rest of the class can see what I was doing.

My center had one of those trainee cars with windows but the only time it was used was to drive around new supervisors so they could claim they knew what driving a package car was like. I just drove an old package car from behind the shop that hadn't been red tagged for my test.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
According to Bagels, it's an unskilled menial position ( I had to, Bagel :wink2:) If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you're in

In order to qualify for many barely above minimum wage (non-union) positions with Delta Airlines, you need to pass an intense, multiweek training class with requires you - among other things - to be able to read an airline tariff. Only about half graduate. (Which is better than the Atlanta Public School system, I suppose). Still considered menial work ;).

FilingBluesFL

For my road test back in the day, I went out with the Saturday Air Sup. in an old 800 with no power steering and a stick.

He basically checked me off as if doing an on-road safety check.

Keep your distance in traffic, 4-6 seconds following time under 30, 6-8 over.

Leave a good distance between you and the car in front of you when stopped at a light.

Put hand brake on when stopped at the light and keep your hands on the wheel.

You scratch while shifting, it counts against you.

Don't hit anything (duh)

I don't know why they expect you to know how to follow the safety methods when you've never been trained on them, but that's how it was for me. Made it in with a few points to spare.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Mine involved chasing down a driver to drop off a misload in a 1970's P600 with a wooden bulkhead door. My first thought behind the wheel was, this is UPS and this is the crap they have to drive? I thought the dashboard was going to rattle off. Of course I thought the same thing today as I bounced around with virtually no rear suspension.