What is the "ONE" method you will not do ?

Fnix

Being a preloader myself and sleeping during the day, between the neighbors banging and cars starting up and driving by every minute it is hard to sleep. Now I need a truck honking the horn everyday the guy upstairs orders a part for his car?

O

Old Ups Driver

I no longer use the 1st 30in of shelf space because with pass/edd the next package I need could be anywhere in the car. I would have to scroll up and down the list and find out where they loaded the next 5 logical stops then go find them and load them on the first 30in of shelf space. I choose to go find them when I need them. ARS packages should be recorded. bring up the special menu ( same menu where you record over 70 pound packages) at the top of the
screen there will be PPP for prepaid packages just enter the number of packages picked up then scan them. but to get this menu you have to be in edd or the old standard delivery screen it wont come up when its set you show your pickup screen. which is stupid. and you only get credit for pieces picked up no stop credit.

browniehound

I agree. Two methods that are just a waste of time and energy are beeping the horn at residential stops and shouting "Hello UPS!" on a resdential property. "Hello UPS!" at an office at lunch time is useful, however.

If a customer dosen't hear our 1984 ford or 1996 frieghtliner diesel engine screaming down their dead end street, then they are not going to hear our horn or the stupid "Hello UPS!"

Let's face facts, unless you are hearing impaired (no offense), our customers know the sounds of our trucks, and know exactly when we are approaching their property.

I also think its funny that their are two types of customers. One that hears the vehicle and comes out and greets you with a smile as you walk to the door and accepts the package. The other is the person that hides in their home until you leave the package and drive off. You know this type of customer exists because when you drive back up the street 5 minutes later the package is gone off their porch.

I guess there is a third type of customer. After your engine screams down their quiet street, backs into their driveway to turn around and leaves the package at the front door without ringing their doorbell, and as you walk back to your 10,000 decibel truck in their driveway they say "Hey next time do you think you could ring my (1 decibel) doorbell?"

Its this type of person that really irks me. They obviously know who and when we are at their house. Why do they want us to ring the bell also? Are these customers former UPS management in another life? LOL

When I first delivered to a house on the corner of a quiet resdential home (who gets crap everyday), I left the package and as I walked away, the guy comes out and says "Don't be shy, can you ring the bell?".

I replied, "Why, you obviously heard me pull up since you came out to get the package and your house is set 10 feet from the street at the most?" I caught him off-guard and he didn't know what to say so he said "Don't be a wise ass, just ring the bell". I just ring the bell now.:whiteflag:

But normally I don't ring bells because it adds too much "customer contact" time to my numbers that are already going to be over allowed. You start ringing bells and lonely people want to talk your ear off and ask you stupid questions (Is it cold enuuugh for yaaa?). Not ringing bells can save you up to 20 minutes a day, LOL:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Not ringing bells" can also net you a chat with your center manager to discuss the customer concern for "not ringing bells". It is possible to ring the doorbell and not engage in customer contact. I normally knock, drop, and go, having already decided on a DR location on my way up to the door. I have been told that I have a distinctive knock; in fact, I had one college student (I must have woken her up--it was nearly 1pm) ask me if I was the police. I am usually back in the pkg car and in 2nd gear by the time the consignee opens the door to retrieve the pkg.

177member

One method that should not be followed is: sheeting a pkg while walking. Your eyes and attention must always be on your walk path. UPS actually lost a case in my district when an arbitrator ruled this to be unsafe. It would seem obvious to most people but management. With UPS being to most injury prone company in the nation, you would think they would have better sense.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
"Not ringing bells" can also net you a chat with your center manager to discuss the customer concern for "not ringing bells". It is possible to ring the doorbell and not engage in customer contact. I normally knock, drop, and go, having already decided on a DR location on my way up to the door. I have been told that I have a distinctive knock; in fact, I had one college student (I must have woken her up--it was nearly 1pm) ask me if I was the police. I am usually back in the pkg car and in 2nd gear by the time the consignee opens the door to retrieve the pkg.
It's a real show when I have a signature required package. Horn blaring, bell ringing, door knocking, sirens going off....I'm sure they think the SWAT team is about to come through the front window :happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
" (I don't have time to scan 100 packages when I'm 10 minutes late to my next pickup)"

Do we scan all p/u packages now? It's been a while since I was in Package.

Me too Santa, Drop-ring-knock----go-go-go --Sprint to the truck...leap across the steps touching the handrail on my way past---land in the seat with such force that the seat belt automatically wraps around me making it just a quick click, start the engine without using the clutch to save time...go-go-go.

All kidding aside I just do the Drop-ring-knock.

BigBrownSanta

I also don't use the ignition key to start the truck, just hit the brake with my knee and pop the clutch as I'm rolling forward.

Sometimes I won't even set the parking brake (depending on the decline). I can usually get back before the truck rolls too far.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cementups

Box Monkey
You only have to scan the packages with the little parcel symbol in the corner of the tracking label. We havea driver that scans every air package that he picks up even though he scans the end of day. He doen't realize that all the information for those 43 air he just scanned is in that end of day scan as well. I've tried to tell him many times but he just won't believe me.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Usually I ring the doorbell and knock at the door. I was trained that the customer should know the package is there so they will get it then instead of it sitting outside increasing the chance that it would get stolen or possibly wet from weather. The two exceptions I use is I don't ring the doorbell at stops where I know the people work the night shift or have newborn babies. Babies will usually sleep through a knock, but the doorbells will wake them up. Those sleep deprived new moms are thankful for that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over, we don't have to scan every pkg at P/U stop. We simply scan end-of day (if computerized) or sign P/U book. ARS, RS, GSD, ASD and Waybills can all be added to an existing P/U stop unless you want to take the time to start an unscheduled P/U stop. We also have a driver who scans every Air pkg at every P/U stop even though she has been told by both drivers and mgt that this is unnecessary. She closes out one of my P/U stops and they are always complaining that they have to wait on her to finish scanning before they can go home.

Griff

There are several HUGE pickup accounts that I grab sometimes and I scan every single package because their end of day is never right. I want to take credit for all the work I'm taking, not 30% of it. Scanned 300 NDA letters on Friday all individually, end of day said 35 total 30 airs.