What is the policy on breaks?

sms4001

hey I was just wondering what the policy for giving breaks is? (for part timers) We used to get a break every day whether it was a 3 hour day or a 6 hour day. recently though they have been obsessed with numbers and have stopped giving us breaks. you can take them at the end of the night if you want but nobody ever does because they just want to get home because having a "break" at the end of the night kind of defeats the purpose. is there anything in the contract that covers this? its getting annoying.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Please call your local.
They are violating both the contract & federal laws.
Breaks are to be given during the workday.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Check your contract. The language is there and varies in each supplement.

There is no language that can override a mandatory break time for workers through state and federal laws, though. It's a saftey issue if anything.

Call your local union, and if necessary, call the department of labor.

10 minutes is gauranteed between the 2nd and 3rd hour of work in our district.

Big Babooba

There is no language that can override a mandatory break time for workers through state and federal laws, though. It's a saftey issue if anything.

Call your local union, and if necessary, call the department of labor.

10 minutes is gauranteed between the 2nd and 3rd hour of work in our district.
I agree, but the contract will state when these breaks must be taken. This is what sms4001 asked.

HazMatMan

My contract says you get a relief break (to relieve yourself I suppose) (pee-pee) up to 10 minutes..Please read carefully and read between the lines..

steeltoe

Southern Region supplement states in Article 49, Section 3.

"Part-time employees will be guaranteed ten (10) minutes relief period each work shift. The relief period may not start before the end of the first (1st) hour and must be completed by the end of the (3rd) hour.":happy2:

alister

Please call your local.
They are violating both the contract & federal laws.
Breaks are to be given during the workday.

to my knowledge, there are no federal laws regarding lunch or breaks. some states do state that a break and a lunch must be provided. By contract, our local ground hubs are required to give a break for PT employees of up to 10 mins. Air hubs are not required to give breaks except for bathroom and water breaks.