What is the ratio of full-time drivers to part-time drivers in your centre?

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I work in a smaller center and our new sup just hired 2 full-time drivers who start tomorrow. Me, being a part-time driver who was not offered a full-time position before the hiring, am filing a grievance to get awarded a full-time position. In my opinion our centre does not have enough work to justify hiring 2 more full-time drivers. Why would management not just hire part-time drivers? The workload doesn't really bother me since I will be a guaranteed 8 driver once I become full-time, but this will put us at 20 full-time drivers, and 3 part-time drivers. I was just curious if other centres have a ratio that is as out of balance as our centre.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I work in a smaller center and our new sup just hired 2 full-time drivers who start tomorrow. Me, being a part-time driver who was not offered a full-time position before the hiring, am filing a grievance to get awarded a full-time position. In my opinion our centre does not have enough work to justify hiring 2 more full-time drivers. Why would management not just hire part-time drivers? The workload doesn't really bother me since I will be a guaranteed 8 driver once I become full-time, but this will put us at 20 full-time drivers, and 3 part-time drivers. I was just curious if other centres have a ratio that is as out of balance as our centre.

We have 130 full time drivers in my center.0 part time.Don't know if this is the proper ratio for here.

Overpaid Union Thug

Did you sign the pool bid (part time to full-time) list? Do you have more seniority than the two new full-time drivers? Your center might have had part-timers working enough hours to justify hiring more full-timers.

Mike Hawk

They hire extra drivers because they might be needed, not because they are needed. My center has 32 bid routes and 40+ drivers and they still sometimes need helpers.

Leftinbuilding

You seem to think "part time" is a goal. The goal is more full time jobs. The ratio should not be close. Our stewards are in constant battle to keep the full time jobs full time.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would like to be friend/T, but at my terminal there is very little chance of that happening. I understand there should be more friend/T than P/T. In a lot of places out here they hire mostly part timers to save money on bene`s and payscales. When I first started at Leaseway Transportation, they had to work a person for 90 days in a row before they had to put them on full time, they used that time to evaluate the worker before they hired them. Some people worked 89 days and were let go for a week and then re-hired. I have not worked for a while, but I am still on the books and they ask me for updated physicals, driver info ETC. friend/T is my goal

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
You seem to think "part time" is a goal. The goal is more full time jobs. The ratio should not be close. Our stewards are in constant battle to keep the full time jobs full time.

I don't think that part time is a goal. I could probably find 3 or 4 part time jobs a day if I wanted to. Some people only want a part time job, and that is perfectly fine. When I was hired, management here would only hire part time drivers and a driver would have to work his way up through senority. Now, it seems like management is only looking for full time drivers. I also understand that it is necessary to fill the workload with the apropriate staffing, but like I said earlier, that workload doesn't seem to be here. I was only asking to see if this is the common practice in other centres.

Don't get me wrong here, I like my job and the only reason that I stayed part time for so long was because I enjoyed the flexibility. I am an elite level hockey official and as such, my major goals in life lie outside of UPS.

brownrodster

almost 60 drivers. 0 part time... Just part time air drivers. No part time ground drivers.

Why are you filing? Do the new FT drivers have less seniority than you? Did you sign the bid for the new FT jobs? PT drivers don't automatically become FT drivers when new FT positions open up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only contractual ratio that I am aware of is the ratio of inside to outside hires to driving positions, which in my center is 6 to 1. I have never heard of a ratio between full and part time driving positions.

J

JonFrum

Jds4lunch,

Have you checked your Supplement first to see if there is a "free period" where the Company can hire temporary people who won't get seniority. Summertime is "vacation cover" time!

In New England we don't have part-time package car drivers. Only part-time air drivers. Preventing part-time package car drivers was is big issue at contract negotiation time a while back.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Why are you filing? Do the new FT drivers have less seniority than you? Did you sign the bid for the new FT jobs? PT drivers don't automatically become FT drivers when new FT positions open up.

Yes, I have more senority than the new hires, since they were hired off the street. Also, there was no bid sheet posted for the new FT jobs.