What is your Computer Operating System?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a "Dell Inspiron 1501" laptop computer.

My wife bought it for me back in 2008, I think. It was a factory refurb model. I have no clue as to its memory or what kind of operating system it is using other than I know it is Windows. I think I heard her say it is XP. I know it isnt Vista because we had another computer in our home that used Vista and it was a POS so we had it upgraded to something else.

All I know about my laptop is that it stores pictures, browses the Web and lets me get on Brown Cafe. It works, so I dont mess with it or worry about it. I can speak with intelligence about cars, guns and politics but I know very little about computers.

curiousbrain

I have cheap computers dating back to about 1995 that I have as a Beowulf cluster (all running Linux - Slackware distro), sitting on a table, in the corner of a room; with a window on the left and a window on the right for maximum airflow; I give these cycles away to things like SETI. Also, because it is fun to play around with parallelism and large (relatively speaking) personal LAN's. It also acts as my music server around the house - I have several embedded devices I have built with wifi cards, so I can broadcast music around the house via my LAN, which they then output through any audio devices they detect.

My run of the mill desktop is a dual boot box - Ubuntu and Windows 7; with 8 gigs of RAM, SLI NVidia cards, 2 terabytes of storage, and 8 speakers, it accomplishes my basic needs without a hiccup. This is what I program on, and do video tasks on.

My gaming rig is Windows 7; 16 gigs of RAM, ATI Crossfire cards, 1 terabyte of storage as RAID 0 and a solid state drive for fast caching, 8 speakers, a touch screen for temperature/fan control, and ... many other things, it is my baby.

I don't own a nice car; in fact, my car has tape to keep the bumper on. But my computers ... if only the ladies liked computers like they do cars :)

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I don't own a nice car; in fact, my car has tape to keep the bumper on. But my computers ... if only the ladies liked computers like they do cars :)
Don't give up hope, all ladies are not the same. I love computers, don't really care about cars. :) I can't be the only geeky lady out there.

texan

I have a "Dell Inspiron 1501" laptop computer.

My wife bought it for me back in 2008, I think. It was a factory refurb model. I have no clue as to its memory or what kind of operating system it is using other than I know it is Windows. I think I heard her say it is XP. I know it isnt Vista because we had another computer in our home that used Vista and it was a POS so we had it upgraded to something else.

[h=2]Windows Computers[/h]
All I know about my laptop is that it stores pictures, browses the Web and lets me get on Brown Cafe. It works, so I dont mess with it or worry about it. I can speak with intelligence about cars, guns and politics but I know very little about computers.

[h=2]Windows Computers[/h]Follow these steps to see which version of Windows you have installed:

1. On the Desktop, locate the icon labeled "My Computer."
  2. Point the mouse at the icon, then click the right mouse button.
  3. In the popup menu which appears, choose "Properties."
  4. After a few seconds, the System Control Panel will open.
    1. Click the tab labeled "General."
    2. The version of Windows you have installed will be clearly displayed.

curiousbrain

Don't give up hope, all ladies are not the same. I love computers, don't really care about cars. :) I can't be the only geeky lady out there.

That's what they all say, hehe .. just how they all like a good sense of humor.

But, the moment a 6'2 tower of muscle rolls up in a car you can hear a mile away, well ... you get the idea.

old levi's

blank space
I have cheap computers dating back to about 1995 that I have as a Beowulf cluster (all running Linux - Slackware distro), sitting on a table, in the corner of a room; with a window on the left and a window on the right for maximum airflow; I give these cycles away to things like SETI. Also, because it is fun to play around with parallelism and large (relatively speaking) personal LAN's. It also acts as my music server around the house - I have several embedded devices I have built with wifi cards, so I can broadcast music around the house via my LAN, which they then output through any audio devices they detect.

My run of the mill desktop is a dual boot box - Ubuntu and Windows 7; with 8 gigs of RAM, SLI NVidia cards, 2 terabytes of storage, and 8 speakers, it accomplishes my basic needs without a hiccup. This is what I program on, and do video tasks on.

My gaming rig is Windows 7; 16 gigs of RAM, ATI Crossfire cards, 1 terabyte of storage as RAID 0 and a solid state drive for fast caching, 8 speakers, a touch screen for temperature/fan control, and ... many other things, it is my baby.

Above is what he said.

Below is what I heard.

:yapyapyapf::yapyapyapf::yapyapyapf::yapyapyapf::yapyapyapf: cars.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I once cared about computers.
I married a guy more geeker than I was - thus I surrendered all computer responsibilites to him.
I could could not keep up with him and I was not willing to read all - those - back - issues - of - MAX PC.
(It was bad enough when guys came over to use past issues as reference material....GEEZ.)

My first computer was a Tandy TX.
5 1/4 floppy disk and 3 1/2 floppy disk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDltXwYjp34

menotyou

bella amicizia

Computers are hot. Just saying'. :winks: