What It Will Take for Us to Trust AI

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You're right about that. We get exactly what we ask for. But that doesn't make it any less true. That last post wasn't an indictment of the hourly workforce, it was really on us.
I don't disagree at all. I think what you said was a fair synopsis. Is there anything you guys would be able to do in the sort plan about that? Put like a time restriction on it? So like no SDF before said time?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You ever think they may do that because they're afraid of the flogging that may come if they don't make service on it?

Air is important, and it should absolutely be a hot topic. But everyone from local management to the district screams about getting it out ASAP. No crap that stuff is going to go in the wrong spot. There is no incentive to make it in the right can because it's going to get there either way and you got all the air out.
Used to start our air wall employees at 4:40pm. Someone cut them to 5:10pm about a year ago. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Used to start our air wall employees at 4:40pm. Someone cut them to 5:10pm about a year ago. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
If you don't have volume availability it's not the wrong decision. The question becomes though, can you still process all that volume in the time.

Starting early is nice, and it's helpful. But if you have downtime, you didn't actually gain anything from a business standpoint.

MyTripisCut

If you don't have volume availability it's not the wrong decision. The question becomes though, can you still process all that volume in the time.

Starting early is nice, and it's helpful. But if you have downtime, you didn't actually gain anything from a business standpoint.
Wrong. What worked for years would still work. Maybe service wouldn't suffer if this company didn't act like we aren't making money.

dudebro

I don't disagree at all. I think what you said was a fair synopsis. Is there anything you guys would be able to do in the sort plan about that? Put like a time restriction on it? So like no SDF before said time?

It's funny - we absolutely can do that. Using SmartScan, the IE supervisor on a sort (and they can be remote) can shut off the alternate flow to SDF until it's the right time.

But that requires effort (you have to turn it on exactly when the operation needs it), and the ops teams use *ahem* "special high intensity social engineering" on the IE sup, and most just cave and turn on the alternate flow at the start of the sort. It's a little more complicated, but that's basically it. We have the tools to get what we want, but we don't want to control misflow badly enough, even though it probably costs us 20 minutes on road across the country.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Wrong. What worked for years would still work. Maybe service wouldn't suffer if this company didn't act like we aren't making money.
No. Sticking with things that worked for years is the reason we have so many issues.

We could do all the volume from this many hubs everyday.
We could do this whole area with one car everyday.
Sound familiar?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's funny - we absolutely can do that. Using SmartScan, the IE supervisor on a sort (and they can be remote) can shut off the alternate flow to SDF until it's the right time.

But that requires effort (you have to turn it on exactly when the operation needs it), and the ops teams use *ahem* "special high intensity social engineering" on the IE sup, and most just cave and turn on the alternate flow at the start of the sort. It's a little more complicated, but that's basically it. We have the tools to get what we want, but we don't want to control misflow badly enough, even though it probably costs us 20 minutes on road across the country.
Interesting

dudebro

I know it's hard to believe when a company makes a few billion dollars a year in profit, but that's over 450k people, so when you stop acting like that, you can run out of money a lot faster than you think.
What happened to Kodak? Xerox? Heck, Lehmann Bros was worth $600 billion and one financial shock took them out.

MyTripisCut

No. Sticking with things that worked for years is the reason we have so many issues.

Sound familiar?
Well either way, we probably wouldn't see eye to eye. But this was a nice interview with you and @dudebro. Informative.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Well either way, we probably wouldn't see eye to eye. But this was a nice interview with you and @dudebro. Informative.
My thing is we just have to constantly evolve. When things remain static for too long we are asking for a disaster. Some things work, some things don't. We as a company just say lets try this and it sticks. There is no incentive to say, listen, it just didn't work, we have to go back to the old way. We should celebrate taking a few risks to achieve better results.

dudebro

Sound familiar?

You're right - that is one criticism of recent management. "You're out of capacity in hub X? Nonsense, whadya do last peak to get by?" "Well, I did some ridiculous things to get by, and this year is 5% heavier" "OK, great. You did ridiculous things last year, do it again, but do it again 5% better! You had practice last year!"

I think you'll see that our recent direction (putting up infrastructure all over the place relative to before) is a realization of that - but you could argue that we were too conservative and waited a little too long to start.

dudebro

My thing is we just have to constantly evolve. When things remain static for too long we are asking for a disaster. Some things work, some things don't. We as a company just say lets try this and it sticks. There is no incentive to say, listen, it just didn't work, we have to go back to the old way. We should celebrate taking a few risks to achieve better results.

I agree with this. I hate when I hear someone say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", that's the first operation I look at, because I'll bet it needs fixing.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I agree with this. I hate when I hear someone say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", that's the first operation I look at, because I'll bet it needs fixing.
That mindset can be traced all the way to district management. Whenever I've wanted to try something I don't tell anyone in management, just my people. If it works I show the results. If it doesn't well, I'll get the chewing I would have gotten for suggesting it in the first place.

MyTripisCut

That mindset can be traced all the way to district management. Whenever I've wanted to try something I don't tell anyone in management, just my people. If it works I show the results. If it doesn't well, I'll get the chewing I would have gotten for suggesting it in the first place.
I suggest we look at the way we start and finish our package car shifts. Why not have an AM and a PM shift. Get cars on road early to do whatever airs we have and resis. Have a later shift comes out and cleans up whatever got to the building later and handle pickups.

dudebro

We have things we can do, but it requires more flexibility - and I admit I'm not smart enough to see how to be more flexible and maintain the quality of life standards I think are healthy. How do you deliver Saturdays without working hourlies and management 6 days a week, but always getting them 5? Sundays?

How do you have the later shift go out and deliver when everyone is home, in densely populated areas with buildings that don't have a mail room and require signatures, but still get PU packages back to the origin sorts earlier? I mean, that's what the lockers are supposed to do during the day, but - still. I can see where it annoys people to go 6 blocks to get their package, unless it's on their way, and even then they have to hump it back.

We once had a delivery only route in an area like this - the driver started at 1400 and finished at 2300 - and all the 20 somethings didn't mind having a knock at the door to get their package while they watched Dharma and Greg, but we got away from it after I left, I don't know why.

Pooter

I love when the weed kicks in and u start thinking about the universe and how ur pretty sure that one dude is a creeper but he gave u a sandwich so he's alright but might be A.I but maybe not.