What kind of harassment are you experiencing in your center?

leastbest

LeastBest
I had a three day production ride a couple weeks ago. I've been driving a package car 31 years. The sup told me he drove four months when he was 29. He told me my pace was slow and I laughed. He drove from March to June, it rained once. I told him the only thing he learned in those four months is that he didn't want to do it

I'm sure he didn't take a lunch the whole time and ran like a fool.

My methods are perfect and on the third day we missed two NDA and ran over two hours late. At 7pm he told me that other drivers would kick it in high gear to get it done if they were running this late. I told him to call the drivers and have them help.

We punched out past 8pm and he wasn't happy.

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think what sober was trying to say is that "lack of proper planing on managements part does not constitute an emergency on mine." which is a line i have used for many years.

it does not take any planing on the drivers part. you can only react to the dispatch of the day. if they cram 12 hours of work on the truck and demand you be clean and in under 9.5, what do you think is going to happen? really!

while i have tried to be the go to guy, there are many times where that has gotten me the shaft of very long hours. so i do my job to the best of my ability. but apply the "lack of proper planing on managements part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

after a while the abuse tapers off when you either bring back missed to be under 9.5, or work 12-13+ hours in one day. in those cases, you also take your lunch. longest day i have ever worked from punch to punch was 21.3 hours. it seems like there were a lot of phone calls the next day......

d

Re-Raise

Dealing with UPS management is a lot like dealing with an alcoholic. When we care about the alcoholic...or the company we work for...we are often unwilling to say "no" to them, or draw boundaries, or tell them the things they really need to hear. With the best of intentions, we slowly allow their problems to become our problems. We come home to the alcoholic passed out on the floor in a puddle of puke so we help them to bed, clean up the vomit, and do what we can to make them comfortable. In so doing we enable the behavior to continue because we prevent them from suffering the natural consequences of their actions.

The perfect example of this at UPS is the driver who skips his lunch in order to avoid service failures on a route that UPS has made a business decision to overdispatch. He thinks he is doing the right thing and being "a team player" when in fact he is simply enabling management to continue their incorrect behavior because they never have to deal with the natural consequence of missed packages. Forcing management to deal with the reality of missed stops is sort of like stepping back and allowing the alcoholic to wake up on the floor with vomit in his hair....it isnt pretty but it is often the only way to draw attention to the reality of the problem and motivate them to make different choices.

UPS is quite fond of placing impossible and utterly ridiculous expectations upon its people. Once you have notified your management that there is a problem, and it has become obvious that they have no intention of solving it, then you must simply allow the situation to fail so that the consequences of that failure become so painful that your management will be forced to deal with the problem instead of continuing to ignore it.

Amen Brother !! I would say this also applies to never having enough available drivers. If someone calls in sick or needs a day off for an emergency our management team is a panic.

They cut a route and we all bust our ass to cover for their lack of advance planning.

Bad Gas!

I always tell sup in the morning either it's gonna be tightmaking 9.5 or I definitly need help making 9.5 based on my stop count and bulk..Usually he will find help with pickups or stops..It's in their hands..I don't screw around but I don't run....Usually you have to go over 9.5 every now and then to get their attention that you know what you are talking about when you are probably not going to make it....I don't make plans on work nights.I'm available if they can't do a proper dispatch...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They harass me where I work. They keep telling me I have a BO (Body Order) problem.

One guy pointed at me, then pointed at his butt and then shrugged ...
Its OK because we became good friends.

Last edited:

mikestrek

In missouri the big thing this week is drivers who are over on the standards by one hour are called in the office and reminded of the methods and asking to sign a sheet of paper. Of course we refuse to sign anything but paychecks and dot required paper work. We filed grievances under article 37 'fair day's work for fair day's pay.
I have just learned to run my route by the book. Everyday. Take my full Hour (not 1/2 hour) and my two (2) fifteen minute breaks. Yes, I'm an hour late every day and they can ride along with me anyday. For the most part they just ignore me now because I wont run,run,run. And keep in mind the only reason they want me to run faster is to make there numbers look good.

Center Manager and the on-road sup's are worried (only) about one (1) thing. That's the NUMBERS. If you hurt yourself. Big deal, Bring a young body in to take your place. If you get in an accident. Big deal, fire you and bring in another young fresh body to take your place.

I would suggest you run your route by the book. Management wont like you for it because your not helping there numbers. Trust me, The young guys will burn out from all the ass kissing.

Dont do anything to give them a reason to harass you. Also don't expect any rewards for a good deed, You just have to pat yourself on the back and move on.

I dont show up early, I show up about five minutes to start time, If I'm blown out I let my sup know calmly and only once and just as I'm leaving building I send a message "I need help". I'm covered. I communicated twice with my on-road sup needing help. I let them contact me next.

I would hate to be a young Supervisor these days. All the numbers there forced to meet and take it out on the drivers and there going to have to do that for 30 years.

I'm on my 25th year and got about 5 more years to go. I choose to just run my route by the book and let the sup's sweat it out. :happy-very:

mikestrek

They harass me where I work. They keep telling me I have a BO (Body Order) problem.

One guy pointed at me, then pointed at his butt and then shrugged ...
Its OK because we became good friends.
LOL, Are you serious? B/O as in body odor? I have never heard of that. Anyway, That's a first. LOL :happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
oh god, Did that hurt your feelings over9five? Are you part of the spell police in the cafe? :happy-very:

Should be:

Oh God, did that hurt your feelings, Over9five? Are you part of the spelling police in the Cafe?

Seven errors in two lines, Mikestrek? Please say you're fooling with me.

helenofcalifornia

Over, I thought your job as mod was exclusively to keep an eye on More and moving threads to different forums. A good spell checker is hard to find. You have a secure future here in the Cafe.

over9five

Staff member
Over, I thought your job as mod was exclusively to keep an eye on More and moving threads to different forums. A good spell checker is hard to find. You have a secure future here in the Cafe.

More hasn't been causing a lot of problems lately (Believe me, I know THAT won't last!), so I've had to branch out to other things. Banning and spell checking are working for me right now!