What Management won't tell you...

Bob11B

You can't be disciplined for being over 9.5
You are correct...but they will get you for something else. Here is an example....last week a driver was fired for dishonesty. Because he completed a pickup and was about 20 yards from the actual pickup. So they are saying he was being dishonest and didn’t really do the pickup but it was really an excuse to fire him for something else. My point is, if drivers go over 9.5, they are getting written up for other dumb :censored2:.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What management won't tell you...

Promotion prerequisites

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
You are correct...but they will get you for something else. Here is an example....last week a driver was fired for dishonesty. Because he completed a pickup and was about 20 yards from the actual pickup. So they are saying he was being dishonest and didn’t really do the pickup but it was really an excuse to fire him for something else. My point is, if drivers go over 9.5, they are getting written up for other dumb :censored2:.

The DIAD GPS isn't that accurate.
He will get his job back with back pay.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You have the self centered part down pat!
A34081A8-9F8C-41F4-AF2D-9C76BDBEE56D.gif

Db2400

Your welcome...

Contrary to popular belief, there are some good supervisors here at Big Brown. Here are a few tips that will help drivers understand why we do what we do and hopefully, help the younger drivers that are in it for the long haul.

1: Just like some groups of teamsters are tight knit, management is the same way, like a fraternity. Yes we do have squabbles amongst our members and may have an occasional backstabbing every once in a while, but understand this, if it ever came down to one of our own vs a teamster losing their job, we will stand behind the supervisor 100%, even if he/she is a total :censored2:.

2: Just put in an honest days work and you'll never be on the radar. We understand all people are different and some work faster or slower than others, just don't deliberately milk the clock. Keeping a steady pace and working efficiently is what we are looking for.

3: The only real time you HAVE to be a runner gunner is during qualification. During this period, we expect you to work fast, and be safe, and be perfect with all your methods. Your qualification packet is your brochure, and in order for you to make it, we have to sell that brochure to upper management who is keeping a close eye on our activities, so do yourself a favor. If you want to qualify, come in super early, study that map, sort the truck when the shop steward is not looking, and for the love of God, have the 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, 5 rules of backing, 8 keys to lifting/lowering, and 5 keys to preventing slips and falls committed to memory. Another thing, and we will only say this once...NO LATE AIR! Don't try and get fancy and look for the ground that's on the same stop. Do yourself a favor and come back and deliver to the location again if you have to. The time is counted anyway. We need you to be perfect!

4: Upon qualifying: No supervisor in his right mind will tell you this but when we teach you a new route, don't take short cuts and burn up the route! Short term it does look good for our numbers, but long term you are digging your own grave. Remember, follow the methods with a STEADY pace that's comfortable for you. Keep that steady pace constant, on every single route you learn. If you do this, once you have mastered the route you will find that over time you will sometimes be at or close to scratch or if the load/dispatch was bad you'll be over maybe by .5 to .75 hrs with 1 to 1.5 hours over being a bad day which we understand happens once in a while. You see, when you burn up a route, the manager who is above me sees that on a report and immediately asks “Why didn't you give him/her more work?” Ever wonder why Orion has you jumping around at times? Its because the initial proposed solution had you coming in too soon, so we had to “tweak” it a little bit to add more miles. More miles = more time, so it looks like a full day. So do yourself and us a favor, 1) try to run Orion in sections with less than 10 breakoffs per 100 stops (90% trace) and 2) if you are burning up the route by 1-2 hours under, you are taking too many shortcuts. You will look good on paper, but dispatch will undergo interrogation and guaranteed you will get loaded up even more over time. Play the game and work “safe”.

5: Yes, we do know that there are just some routes that are near impossible to scratch. There are many factors that affect this...ie: Previously burnt up by a runner who took too many shortcuts so we had to load up the route, Heavy metro areas where traffic is unpredictable, heavy loads…. We know this but we will never openly admit it. Again just put in an honest effort and if you are ever questioned on performance, cover yourself and have your reasons ready in case you are asked about it. Don't take it personally, just play the game. If the Center Manager is a stand up guy, he will understand, and if he is a good center manager, he will try to fix things a little at a time. Again, just be honest and upfront about problems you may encounter.

6: Some center manager’s and ORS’ are complete :censored2:bags. CYA! Don't stress if a supervisor has it out for you. Supervisory positions are like revolving doors. File grievances when you have to, and eventually upper management will get in the mood to play musical chairs and eventually, that supervisor will be somewhere else. As long as you are not blatantly stealing, it is impossible to fire you.

7: Best advice I ever got. Keep your mouth shut (don't complain), work safe, give an honest effort. Keep doing this and you'll see that it just gets easier as time goes on.
some of this might be true, but o'well; get on the 9.5 list and file. That simple. If you dont complain then management thinks you're happy with your 10 hr day. Those numbers they have are fabricated. They cant do it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Mr Supervisor,

Will you please tell me why you message me To go help driverx to help him make 9.5 when I am only going to make it by ten minutes, myself? If I go over, I get yelled at or written up for some nonsense....no thanks.

Start a paper trail by burying them in grievances for every little thing. Claim they are harassing and retaliating against you for exercising your rights under the CBA. Wouldn't be that hard for even a rookie BA to handle.

We have "flag" pick ups on most routes where a business will up a sign in a window or something letting us know if they have anything going out. Even our center manager during a pcm about record while idling, told us to drive past them if the sign is up and stop complete at the next pick up. There is a 100% chance the driver would be back with back pay in your described scenario.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
What management won't tell you...

Promotion prerequisites

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.
Holy crap , at the end I thought there would be a pic of my center manager.

Start a paper trail by burying them in grievances for every little thing. Claim they are harassing and retaliating against you for exercising your rights under the CBA. Wouldn't be that hard for even a rookie BA to handle.

We have "flag" pick ups on most routes where a business will up a sign in a window or something letting us know if they have anything going out. Even our center manager during a pcm about record while idling, told us to drive past them if the sign is up and stop complete at the next pick up. There is a 100% chance the driver would be back with back pay in your described scenario.
Flag stops are trouble for a cover driver. I almost always stop no matter what the sign says. In my eyes, if you miss a flag stop because they didn’t change the sign you should be fired. But I never care where I am when I stop complete them.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Flag? Nope- go in and make sure. (Opinion).

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Self-entitled kids believing that when a driver has difficulties, they can spend an hour in a computer to make everything magically better. So much better that they can now get a whole new split of stops / bulk up the wazzu.
{dispatcher rant}
The floor is hot real estate. We deal in huge / heavy crap all the time. Do not give a bunch of stops a floor location because the floor WILL be completely filled by things that are much, much heavier.
The top shelf is where the majority of the stops go, not on the middle shelf, the top shelf. Your preloaders are big kids, they can drop heavy bulk or loop the 1000s to shelf 2 around for you. They can't, on the other hand, move a 2 back up to 1.
Get the numbers closer to the front half of the car if there is bulk. Nothing says FU more than an add-cut going to 85XX when a 20 piece bulk stop is already is on 8900, same goes for 5,6,7,8.
No, nothing will magically get better in one try and no, we cannot take out an extra 30 pieces because you worked extra hard on the load plan.
{end rant}

Last edited:

Rack em

Made the Podium
Flag stops are trouble for a cover driver. I almost always stop no matter what the sign says. In my eyes, if you miss a flag stop because they didn’t change the sign you should be fired. But I never care where I am when I stop complete them.

Flag? Nope- go in and make sure. (Opinion).
I completely agree, I always go to every pick up no matter what and stop complete on property to CMA, even the automatic on demand pick ups for people who never have anything. There is one business that gets one every Mon Wed and Fri and they NEVER have outgoing, but I always go there and stop complete it there. I've even been grilled before about smart pick ups cancelling out yet they have outgoing, then call and complain that we didn't stop. So if they question me about smart picks up cancelling out I damn sure know not to do anything stupid like stop completing a pick up not at that location.

35years

Gravy route
Your welcome...

Contrary to popular belief, there are some good supervisors here at Big Brown. Here are a few tips that will help drivers understand why we do what we do and hopefully, help the younger drivers that are in it for the long haul.

1: Just like some groups of teamsters are tight knit, management is the same way, like a fraternity. Yes we do have squabbles amongst our members and may have an occasional backstabbing every once in a while, but understand this, if it ever came down to one of our own vs a teamster losing their job, we will stand behind the supervisor 100%, even if he/she is a total :censored2:.

2: Just put in an honest days work and you'll never be on the radar. We understand all people are different and some work faster or slower than others, just don't deliberately milk the clock. Keeping a steady pace and working efficiently is what we are looking for.

3: The only real time you HAVE to be a runner gunner is during qualification. During this period, we expect you to work fast, and be safe, and be perfect with all your methods. Your qualification packet is your brochure, and in order for you to make it, we have to sell that brochure to upper management who is keeping a close eye on our activities, so do yourself a favor. If you want to qualify, come in super early, study that map, sort the truck when the shop steward is not looking, and for the love of God, have the 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, 5 rules of backing, 8 keys to lifting/lowering, and 5 keys to preventing slips and falls committed to memory. Another thing, and we will only say this once...NO LATE AIR! Don't try and get fancy and look for the ground that's on the same stop. Do yourself a favor and come back and deliver to the location again if you have to. The time is counted anyway. We need you to be perfect!

4: Upon qualifying: No supervisor in his right mind will tell you this but when we teach you a new route, don't take short cuts and burn up the route! Short term it does look good for our numbers, but long term you are digging your own grave. Remember, follow the methods with a STEADY pace that's comfortable for you. Keep that steady pace constant, on every single route you learn. If you do this, once you have mastered the route you will find that over time you will sometimes be at or close to scratch or if the load/dispatch was bad you'll be over maybe by .5 to .75 hrs with 1 to 1.5 hours over being a bad day which we understand happens once in a while. You see, when you burn up a route, the manager who is above me sees that on a report and immediately asks “Why didn't you give him/her more work?” Ever wonder why Orion has you jumping around at times? Its because the initial proposed solution had you coming in too soon, so we had to “tweak” it a little bit to add more miles. More miles = more time, so it looks like a full day. So do yourself and us a favor, 1) try to run Orion in sections with less than 10 breakoffs per 100 stops (90% trace) and 2) if you are burning up the route by 1-2 hours under, you are taking too many shortcuts. You will look good on paper, but dispatch will undergo interrogation and guaranteed you will get loaded up even more over time. Play the game and work “safe”.

5: Yes, we do know that there are just some routes that are near impossible to scratch. There are many factors that affect this...ie: Previously burnt up by a runner who took too many shortcuts so we had to load up the route, Heavy metro areas where traffic is unpredictable, heavy loads…. We know this but we will never openly admit it. Again just put in an honest effort and if you are ever questioned on performance, cover yourself and have your reasons ready in case you are asked about it. Don't take it personally, just play the game. If the Center Manager is a stand up guy, he will understand, and if he is a good center manager, he will try to fix things a little at a time. Again, just be honest and upfront about problems you may encounter.

6: Some center manager’s and ORS’ are complete :censored2:bags. CYA! Don't stress if a supervisor has it out for you. Supervisory positions are like revolving doors. File grievances when you have to, and eventually upper management will get in the mood to play musical chairs and eventually, that supervisor will be somewhere else. As long as you are not blatantly stealing, it is impossible to fire you.

7: Best advice I ever got. Keep your mouth shut (don't complain), work safe, give an honest effort. Keep doing this and you'll see that it just gets easier as time goes on.

Wouldn't all that be convenient for you!

How about this...

I don't care what the supervisor thinks about me, or my work.
I don't care if the numbers suck.
I will do the route how I want to do it.
I will complain if I feel like it.
If you load me up, I file; problem solved.

You see, we don't care about your numbers, or keeping off the radar, or pleasing the center manager. That's your job. We work for a living.

Last edited: