What Management won't tell you...

I completely agree, I always go to every pick up no matter what and stop complete on property to CMA, even the automatic on demand pick ups for people who never have anything. There is one business that gets one every Mon Wed and Fri and they NEVER have outgoing, but I always go there and stop complete it there. I've even been grilled before about smart pick ups cancelling out yet they have outgoing, then call and complain that we didn't stop. So if they question me about smart picks up cancelling out I damn sure know not to do anything stupid like stop completing a pick up not at that location.
I Never go to cancelled smart pick ups. I don’t always stop complete at the business. Because I don’t care. I know that Jay doesn’t care either.

Dr.Brownz

Your welcome...

Contrary to popular belief, there are some good supervisors here at Big Brown. Here are a few tips that will help drivers understand why we do what we do and hopefully, help the younger drivers that are in it for the long haul.

1: Just like some groups of teamsters are tight knit, management is the same way, like a fraternity. Yes we do have squabbles amongst our members and may have an occasional backstabbing every once in a while, but understand this, if it ever came down to one of our own vs a teamster losing their job, we will stand behind the supervisor 100%, even if he/she is a total :censored2:.

2: Just put in an honest days work and you'll never be on the radar. We understand all people are different and some work faster or slower than others, just don't deliberately milk the clock. Keeping a steady pace and working efficiently is what we are looking for.

3: The only real time you HAVE to be a runner gunner is during qualification. During this period, we expect you to work fast, and be safe, and be perfect with all your methods. Your qualification packet is your brochure, and in order for you to make it, we have to sell that brochure to upper management who is keeping a close eye on our activities, so do yourself a favor. If you want to qualify, come in super early, study that map, sort the truck when the shop steward is not looking, and for the love of God, have the 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, 5 rules of backing, 8 keys to lifting/lowering, and 5 keys to preventing slips and falls committed to memory. Another thing, and we will only say this once...NO LATE AIR! Don't try and get fancy and look for the ground that's on the same stop. Do yourself a favor and come back and deliver to the location again if you have to. The time is counted anyway. We need you to be perfect!

4: Upon qualifying: No supervisor in his right mind will tell you this but when we teach you a new route, don't take short cuts and burn up the route! Short term it does look good for our numbers, but long term you are digging your own grave. Remember, follow the methods with a STEADY pace that's comfortable for you. Keep that steady pace constant, on every single route you learn. If you do this, once you have mastered the route you will find that over time you will sometimes be at or close to scratch or if the load/dispatch was bad you'll be over maybe by .5 to .75 hrs with 1 to 1.5 hours over being a bad day which we understand happens once in a while. You see, when you burn up a route, the manager who is above me sees that on a report and immediately asks “Why didn't you give him/her more work?” Ever wonder why Orion has you jumping around at times? Its because the initial proposed solution had you coming in too soon, so we had to “tweak” it a little bit to add more miles. More miles = more time, so it looks like a full day. So do yourself and us a favor, 1) try to run Orion in sections with less than 10 breakoffs per 100 stops (90% trace) and 2) if you are burning up the route by 1-2 hours under, you are taking too many shortcuts. You will look good on paper, but dispatch will undergo interrogation and guaranteed you will get loaded up even more over time. Play the game and work “safe”.

5: Yes, we do know that there are just some routes that are near impossible to scratch. There are many factors that affect this...ie: Previously burnt up by a runner who took too many shortcuts so we had to load up the route, Heavy metro areas where traffic is unpredictable, heavy loads…. We know this but we will never openly admit it. Again just put in an honest effort and if you are ever questioned on performance, cover yourself and have your reasons ready in case you are asked about it. Don't take it personally, just play the game. If the Center Manager is a stand up guy, he will understand, and if he is a good center manager, he will try to fix things a little at a time. Again, just be honest and upfront about problems you may encounter.

6: Some center manager’s and ORS’ are complete :censored2:bags. CYA! Don't stress if a supervisor has it out for you. Supervisory positions are like revolving doors. File grievances when you have to, and eventually upper management will get in the mood to play musical chairs and eventually, that supervisor will be somewhere else. As long as you are not blatantly stealing, it is impossible to fire you.

7: Best advice I ever got. Keep your mouth shut (don't complain), work safe, give an honest effort. Keep doing this and you'll see that it just gets easier as time goes on.

Management are just monkeys. That is why no one respects you

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I Never go to cancelled smart pick ups. I don’t always stop complete at the business. Because I don’t care. I know that Jay doesn’t care either.
Yeah, what's the big deal? There is a pickup on a route that I cover that is at least 15 minutes away from wherever you are, no matter the dispatch. Only have outbound about half of the time BUT it's usually an NDA if they do. The pickup is 20+ minutes depending on traffic from the nearest drop point.
You bet you arse I call that pickup to check their outbound status every time I cover the route. Has nothing to do with numbers, we all do things to cut time when it makes sense and if they want to get me in trouble for it I say bring it on, I'm ready. I make contact with the customer to verify their needs, absolutely nothing dishonest about stop completing it 10 miles away

Heavy Package

Management at UPS is like a throwback to a long ago era that is completely useless and out of touch with todays work environment. The current revolving door of employees speaks volumes to the working conditions at UPS.

over9five

Staff member
Yeah, what's the big deal? There is a pickup on a route that I cover that is at least 15 minutes away from wherever you are, no matter the dispatch. Only have outbound about half of the time BUT it's usually an NDA if they do. The pickup is 20+ minutes depending on traffic from the nearest drop point.
You bet you arse I call that pickup to check their outbound status every time I cover the route. Has nothing to do with numbers, we all do things to cut time when it makes sense and if they want to get me in trouble for it I say bring it on, I'm ready. I make contact with the customer to verify their needs, absolutely nothing dishonest about stop completing it 10 miles away
Look up "Runner Gunner" in the dictionary, and you will find this...

Look up "Runner Gunner" in the dictionary, and you will find this...
Look up "disgruntled complacent employee" in the dictionary, and you'll find the guy/gal that wastes company and his/her own family time knowingly needlessly traveling to stops that don't require his/her service.

Right, if you want to be efficient you automatically kiss your sups arse. Cmon now.
It doesn't need to be this big deal, fulfill the customers needs and move on with your day. We all know of those daily pickups that SHOULD be smart pickups but are not. After the 10th time showing up there for no reason any reasonable human being would think to themselves "well this is a complete waste of time that could totally be avoided"

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
After the 10th time showing up there for no reason any reasonable human being would think to themselves "well this is a complete waste of time that could totally be avoided"

Not me. I think, “easy money”.

I will never use my personal phone to call a customer for any reason. One of our rookies made the mistake of sharing his phone number with a few his pickups, now he’s always complaining about how they keep calling him asking him when he’s going to show up, even when he’s not doing that route. Idiot.

take your time

Wouldn't all that be convenient for you!

How about this...

I don't care what the supervisor thinks about me, or my work.
I don't care if the numbers suck.
I will do the route how I want to do it.
I will complain if I feel like it.
If you load me up, I file; problem solved.

You see, we don't care about your numbers, or keeping off the radar, or pleasing the center manager. That's your job. We work for a living.

What do you mean "you will file" if they load you up? How does that work, exactly?

take your time

Not me. I think, “easy money”.

I will never use my personal phone to call a customer for any reason. One of our rookies made the mistake of sharing his phone number with a few his pickups, now he’s always complaining about how they keep calling him asking him when he’s going to show up, even when he’s not doing that route. Idiot.

This is true. Once had a buddy of mine give out his number to a pick up customer, and he complained the next week that the customer was calling him around 10:30 at night asking him questions, when he was at home with his family. His own damn fault.