What Newspaper(s) Do YOU Consider to be a Reputable Source for the Truth?

El Correcto

god is dead
It also doesn’t hurt to pick up the history books and gain some context. Sadly those are even political at this point with people like Howard Zen.

LarryBird

It also doesn’t hurt to pick up the history books and gain some context. Sadly those are even political at this point with people like Howard Zen.
Howard Zinn wrote the most unflinchingly honest, totally comprehensive, and in my opinion, best book about American history - A People's History of The United States. There are others that are good, but this one is really eye opening if all you've ever known of our country was what you were taught in 6th through 12th grade social studies classes.

Because if what you know about the history of this nation came from the books you were forced to learn from in school, well, to be blunt, you really don't know :censored2: about America.

El Correcto

god is dead
Howard Zinn wrote the most unflinchingly honest, totally comprehensive, and in my opinion, best book about American history - A People's History of The United States. There are others that are good, but this one is really eye opening if all you've ever known of our country was what you were taught in 6th through 12th grade social studies classes.

Because if what you know about the history of this nation came from the books you were forced to learn from in school, well, to be blunt, you really don't know :censored2: about America.
Zinn wrote those books kids learn from in some states. There was a big stink with republicans running states to get them out of the classroom lol.

LarryBird

1558826279883370391173.jpg

This is what I believe the most current version looks like, but there's been other covers in the past. You should check it out if you're interested in American history, and we ALL should be.

It's definitely available at any library worth a damn if you don't feel like dropping the $40 on it to own your own copy. Despite what some here might say, I didn't find this particular book to have any partisan slant at all.

Side note:
One of these days I'm gonna go through my personal library and pull some selections to post for a thread on book recommendations. I've got an absolute monster collection of mostly non-fiction books that numbers in the 1000s, and I'm always interested in getting recs from other people whose opinions I respect as well. If you're so inclined, feel free to recommend me some here in this thread - I'm a book nerd, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

El Correcto

god is dead
View attachment 249394
This is what I believe the most current version looks like, but there's been other covers in the past. You should check it out if you're interested in American history, and we ALL should be.

It's definitely available at any library worth a damn if you don't feel like dropping the $40 on it to own your own copy. Despite what some here might say, I didn't find this particular book to have any partisan slant at all.

Side note:
One of these days I'm gonna go through my personal library and pull some selections to post for a thread on book recommendations. I've got an absolute monster collection of mostly non-fiction books that numbers in the 1000s, and I'm always interested in getting recs from other people whose opinions I respect as well. If you're so inclined, feel free to recommend me some here in this thread - I'm a book nerd, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Lol, no political slant.

LarryBird

Zinn wrote those books kids learn from in some states. There was a big stink with republicans running states to get them out of the classroom lol.
Not any book I've ever been taught from, although I'm 40, so obviously things may have changed since I took my last history class.

I would've been proud to learn from such an honest book that is able to both celebrate American history, and still be critical when necessary and deserved.

El Correcto

god is dead
Not any book I've ever been taught from, although I'm 40, so obviously things may have changed since I took my last history class.

I would've been proud to learn from such an honest book that is able to both celebrate American history, and still be critical when necessary and deserved.
This is why you make excuses for Castro friend.

LarryBird

Lol, no political slant.
You're seriously deranged. Not everything is an us vs them, lib vs con, slanted viewpoint because you don't agree with it or it doesn't fit into your narrow worldview. Sometimes things are just facts for :censored2:s sake, man.

Please recommend me a book on American history. I swear on my life that I will buy and read it, and report back. I truly want to know what it is that you'd consider to be a better book, and one that doesn't omit or sugar coat the embarrassing past/hard truths of our nation we may not speak of in schools.

El Correcto

god is dead
You're seriously deranged. Not everything is an us vs them, lib vs con, slanted viewpoint because you don't agree with it or it doesn't fit into your narrow worldview. Sometimes things are just facts for :censored2:s sake, man.

Please recommend me a book on American history. I swear on my life that I will buy and read it, and report back. I truly want to know what it is that you'd consider to be a better book, and one that doesn't omit or sugar coat the embarrassing past/hard truths of our nation we may not speak of in schools.
You have lived for forty years, your brain has literally been shaped by your life. You have a completely different view and are a completely different person than me. It’s individuality. We can sit here and read what is not absolute truth and come to different conclusions no matter what I suggest to you.
Reality has a liberal bias.
Yeah it’s called skid row.
Skid Row, Los Angeles - Wikipedia

BrownArmy

You have lived for forty years, your brain has literally been shaped by your life. You have a completely different view and are a completely different person than me. It’s individuality. We can sit here and read what is not absolute truth and come to different conclusions no matter what I suggest to you.

Yeah it’s called skid row.
Skid Row, Los Angeles - Wikipedia

Have you read Zinn’s book?

LarryBird

So help me understand a bit more about your viewpoint on the events that shaped American history. While the recording of historic events can't totally be considered absolute truth, they are factual moments in time. Things either occurred or they did not - these are fairly close to absolute truths.

The opinion or reasoning about why they occurred are what is open to debate. Yet for the most part, if the books are well researched and written from the perspective of all sides present and involved, these facts mean that we're able to come to logical conclusions about history that while not being absolute truths, represent the closest we'll ever get to it. History is a puzzle, and the more pieces you put in place, the more the picture becomes clear.

Realistically the only absolute truth is mathematics, so to try to hold other things like history up to that standard is a logic failure.

LarryBird

Have you read Zinn’s book?
I don't wanna necessarily answer for him, but I'm gonna guess the answer is no.

If he had, he wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

I mean, if you Google best American history books, it's picture pops up at the very top of the page. If you look at ALMOST any list of the best American history books, it's at or near the very top of most of them.

Quite simply put, it's almost unassailable as a source of/for American history, except by a fella who goes by @Wrong on a trucking message board. But at least he's self-aware enough that he chose a most fitting handle for himself on said message board - I'll give him that much.

El Correcto

god is dead
So help me understand a bit more about your viewpoint on the events that shaped American history. While the recording of historic events can't totally be considered absolute truth, they are factual moments in time. Things either occurred or they did not - these are fairly close to absolute truths.

The opinion or reasoning about why they occurred are what is open to debate. Yet for the most part, if the books are well researched and written from the perspective of all sides present and involved, these facts mean that we're able to come to logical conclusions about history that while not being absolute truths, represent the closest we'll ever get to it. History is a puzzle, and the more pieces you put in place, the more the picture becomes clear.

Realistically the only absolute truth is mathematics, so to try to hold other things like history up to that standard is a logic failure.
The biggest failures in American history to me come from slavery to civil rights, two world wars, the Great Depression and the war on drugs. I think all of those things led to a massive expansion of federal power and tyranny.

It’s not as simple as did it happen, yes or no.
You can highlight what you want to be seen, gloss over context, ignore certain unintended consequences and highlight the good that came out of things.

I could go out and buy Unfreedom of the Press by Mark L3vin(order on amazon or get at your local retailers, in stores now) praising what a life changing book it was and how entertaining it was to read. Failing to mention I stole my grandmother’s medication to sell to children and she died to get money for the book.

I painted a picture of how good it was of me to buy the book. I didn’t highlight the unintended consequence of killing my grandmother or how children are buying drugs from me.

Last edited:

It will be fine

The biggest failures in American history to me come from slavery to civil rights, two world wars, the Great Depression and the war on drugs. I think all of those things led to a massive expansion of federal power and tyranny.

It’s not as simple as did it happen, yes or no.
You can highlight what you want to be seen, gloss over context, ignore certain unintended consequences and highlight the good that came out of things.

I could go out and buy Unfreedom of the Press by Mark L3vin(order on amazon or get at your local retailers, in stores now) praising what a life changing book it was and how entertaining it was to read. Failing to mention I stole my grandmother’s medication to sell to children and she died.

I painted a picture of how good it was of me to buy the book. I didn’t highlight the unintended consequence of killing my grandmother or how children are buying drugs from me.
So that’s a hard no on reading any real books.