What percentage of drivers drove during the 97' strike?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Hong Kong? Everything is made china they pick up cargo there and airfreight it back to CONUS. Might be cheaper to put the cargo on a container ship.
It's incredibly cheap to send a container. There was a point last year where you could send a 20 foot container from mainland China to the Port of Long Beach for less than 500 bucks.

Most air cargo is very high priority. The air freight market as a whole is hurting right now because costs are so high.

Faceplanted

It's incredibly cheap to send a container. There was a point last year where you could send a 20 foot container from mainland China to the Port of Long Beach for less than 500 bucks.

Most air cargo is very high priority. The air freight market as a whole is hurting right now because costs are so high.
Fun fact... The top 15 biggest Cargo ships pollute the environment more than all the cars in the world combined. Thanks free trade and wal-Mart!!!!!!

Amazing fact to think about for a few minutes

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Fun fact... The top 15 biggest Cargo ships pollute the environment more than all the cars in the world combined. Thanks free trade and wal-Mart!!!!!!

Amazing fact to think about for a few minutes
The fuel burn on those things is atrocious. But spread out over so many containers, it's pretty economical.

Ever see the engines in those things? Pistons are the size of a VW Bug.

Faceplanted

The fuel burn on those things is atrocious. But spread out over so many containers, it's pretty economical.

Ever see the engines in those things? Pistons are the size of a VW Bug.
It has more to do with the type of fuel they use. Now imagine if these goods were made locally or regionally. The impact on the environment would be huge, not to mention more good paying manufacturing jobs. 18 wheelers are still used in the shipping container world to get stuff from the port to the last destination so if the ships were totally cut out we could make a huge impact in pollution. Instead we blame vw for ending the world. But what do I know I'm just a truck driver.

Returntosender

UPS owns container ships?

L

Little Brownie Girl

you can see oil and grease trails behind cargo going into LGB ...sick green gray film

Faceplanted

you can see oil and grease trails behind cargo going into LGB ...sick green gray film
But hey at least we get to save a few cents on inferior products made with carcinogens that seep into our bodies right!!!

On topic, it's a damn shame the pilots have been waiting 5 years. Ups doesn't care and they are trying to show us all how the future will be.

L

Little Brownie Girl

But hey at least we get to save a few cents on inferior products made with carcinogens that seep into our bodies right!!!

On topic, it's a damn shame the pilots have been waiting 5 years. Ups doesn't care and they are trying to show us all how the future will be.

UPS had an airship go down August 2013 FFA regs..the hours, cost of training...12 hour shifts? United Airlines forced their 55 year olds to retire years ago and ended up with a very expensive shortage of qualified pilots....so keep jerking these pilots around like they are replaceable when they are not...

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ups would not recover from a strike in this volatile market and age.

It would cost them billions and put them in the direction of going under. We would not get that volume lost back.

Faceplanted

It's just hard to think about how they have not got a deal in 5 years and had no problems working. The drivers and hub guys would be flipping out after a few months and be ready to strike. I give them credit but I guess now the poop is finially getting un constipated and ready to hit the fan.

Dr.Brownz

I went with my dad to the picket line when I was about 12. It was fun, ate burgers and dogs. That was the first time I heard someone use the friend word in every other sentence.

My pa was driving back then too. He said it was the funnest 2 weeks at ups in his entire career. Only one driver tried to cross and we all still know who he is....

If you drove during the strike you are a scab and dont deserve the wages the teamsters fought for

Overpaid Union Thug

So when an American citizen commits a crime, it is commited by the country? You both missed the point.

There were multiple criminal acts committed by members of our local on a few of the people that crossed. Your attempt to play semantics with their affiliation in no way is succeeding in minimalizing the severity of their crimes or the fact that they were Teamsters.