What the MSM won't report

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Lue,

Got a question just to understand better your point. You said above that the only problem you see is if it's a job community organizing. OK I understand that (and the LOL context) but what about this scenario. A student loan is given to someone who goes to business school and they come out with an idea for a business and get a business loan from the gov't to start said business.
What did they guy have to do for govt service for 6 years after he graduated? Also he got a loan from the govt to start a business? Why not a bank or did obama take all them over too?
The business even grows and hires people so the question now comes down IMO to principle or outcome. Using the example I just gave, would this be a problem in your view or would it be a good thing or even have some place to exist in your opinion?
That is great if his business takes off and he hires people...good for him. So how did he pay the goverment back for his student loan?

wkmac

That is great if his business takes off and he hires people...good for him. So how did he pay the goverment back for his student loan?

That's not a concern to me because I'm opposed to the whole idea of gov't taking taxes by force from taxpayers and then giving them out as loans for either education or even business loans. Noble cause maybe and I'm sure many would argue back it's not welfare with the payback mechanism but were interest rates paid at fair market minus any gov't support structure or were rates lower than market or supported with hidden gov't structures?

There again this is an economic intervention and in the case of higher education, it's a price support that maintains the cost of education higher that it might normally be in a true free market. Remove preferred loan treatment in a gov't support structure and higher education would be forced to drop it's price in order to fill the seats. This again is where gov't intervention causes hardship on many middle class students and even some poor who find themselves outside looking in as victims of a type of false market. Also this is another means of wealth re-distribution as gov't determines based on a planning criteria who should and should not have higher education and higher income.

I was just curious in your case were you against the whole idea as well or only against it if it didn't fill a set criteria you had or held. Thus the principle verses outcome comment. If you are for such, then I take your question and pose it back at you. Also how do you compensate those taxpayers who might have used their own money to go to a technical school, supplement themselves going through a skills learning apprenticeship program or used that extra money to start their own business? How does the gov't winning along with gov't selected citizens outweigh what a lone citizen might do for himself, his family and maybe even is local community?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Maybe i or "we" are talking about different things. Currently our govt pays for college education to anyone in the military or ROTC provided you do the minimum of years required which is usually 4 years of service. I have no problem with that. Now if the govt will give you a loan for college as long as you do some service for the govt then i dont have a problem unless its political based like community organizing. I do have a problem if the govt is the only one loaning money at a certain interest rate and cutting out private banks. That is wrong.

wkmac

Maybe i or "we" are talking about different things. Currently our govt pays for college education to anyone in the military or ROTC provided you do the minimum of years required which is usually 4 years of service. I have no problem with that. Now if the govt will give you a loan for college as long as you do some service for the govt then i dont have a problem unless its political based like community organizing. I do have a problem if the govt is the only one loaning money at a certain interest rate and cutting out private banks. That is wrong.

Yeah I think we see the role of gov't from different perspectives and that was more to what I was trying to determine. Thanks!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have a son who is majoring in aerospace engineering. OBama cuts NASA's budget so if we want to put somebody in space, soon we will have to pay the Russians. The other day he gives a speech saying we are going to Mars next. Are we going to have to stand by somebody else's launchpad with our thumbs out???-
YES
but the real problem is that only our shuttle is properly equipped to handle the Hubble and repair satellites , so you can kiss our successes in space goodbye.

bbsam

Staff member
first off your think that this is only for military service, wrong.
Under the old system you borrow the $$ and pay it back to a bank ( with a gov't backing the loan ), now it's all gov't run.

Name me one program that they have run that isn't in trouble.

remember this was included in the healthcare reform package, which basically is all about gaining total control over the people.
the military. the IRS. OOPS, that's 2! And for a college payback program, it shouldn't be limited to military service and that in itself does not make it a bad thing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your facts are a bit off. When I was active duty in the enlisted ranks taking classes I was reimbursed for 90% of my tuition with no service commitment beyond the current enlistment. ROTC candidates do have their, tuition, books, room and board taken care of and receive a monthly stipend as well but, yes, they do incur a service commitment upon graduation. I am not familiar with the GI Bill.

Private students loans do need reform as they are often tied to the LIBR. Stafford Loans should be left alone.

Last edited:

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Your facts are a bit off. When I was active duty in the enlisted ranks taking classes I was reimbursed for 90% of my tuition with no service commitment beyond the current enlistment. ROTC candidates do have their, tuition, books, room and board taken care of and receive a monthly stipend as well but, yes, they do incur a service commitment upon graduation. I am not familiar with the GI Bill.

Private students loans do need reform as they are often tied to the LIBR. Stafford Loans should be left alone.

Might be that it has changed thru the years. It was called the GI Bill and i think you had 50 buck a month removed from your check and then after your service commitment was up you got to go to college. It was a good deal IMO.

wkmac

Lue,

I suggested yesterday in one of my posts the effects of a type of false market being created when gov't intervenes in education as well meaning as that may seem. Today at Mises an article on just one aspect of that subject is available to read. Here it is if you might be interested.

The Bubble in For-Profit Schooling

Whatever one believes of the specifics of the real estate bubble, gov't policy and intervention in that market is without doubt a serious contributing factor and one might do well looking at that nightmare to be concerned at what could happen to all education in the same nightmare scenario.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Lue,

I suggested yesterday in one of my posts the effects of a type of false market being created when gov't intervenes in education as well meaning as that may seem. Today at Mises an article on just one aspect of that subject is available to read. Here it is if you might be interested.

The Bubble in For-Profit Schooling

Whatever one believes of the specifics of the real estate bubble, gov't policy and intervention in that market is without doubt a serious contributing factor and one might do well looking at that nightmare to be concerned at what could happen to all education in the same nightmare scenario.

Good article!!! Below are some key points. I still like the old system with Military service...otherwise our govt should stay out of it.

When government offers virtually unfettered access to student loans it, artificially increases the threshold of what students can afford. Many would presume this to be a highly desirable outcome and precisely the reason FFA exists. However, this reasoning fails to account for the causal relationship between FFA and prices: tuition rates are not only based on factors such as the costs of delivering education, the industry's competitive landscape, and the economy as a whole, but also on demand, which encompasses the ability of students to pay for the education they consume. In essence, FFA allows for-profit schools to increase their prices significantly above what they would be in a true market. If FFA were eliminated or significantly scaled back, schools would be forced to decrease their prices to the point of market efficiency or face a catastrophic decrease in enrollment industrywide. Only then would students receive a market-based return on investment in their education.
Government interference in the marketplace has allowed for-profit schools to realize immense profits at the expense of American taxpayers. By offering virtually unfettered access to FFA, these institutions are able to increase prices significantly beyond true market value to students who pose a high risk for default. Privatized profits and socialized losses are the result of such a system.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Remarkable......

THINK IT IS REMARKABLE THAT WITHIN A WEEK OF TIGER WOODS CRASHING HIS

ESCALADE, THE PRESS FOUND EVERY WOMAN WITH WHOM TIGER HAS HAD AN AFFAIR

IN THE LAST FEW YEARS, WITH PHOTOS, TEXT MESSAGES, RECORDED PHONE CALLS, ETC.

AND, THEY NOT ONLY KNOW THE CAUSE OF THE FAMILY FIGHT, BUT THEY EVEN KNOW IT

WAS A WEDGE FROM HIS GOLF BAG THAT HIS WIFE USED TO BREAK OUT THE WINDOWS

IN THE ESCALADE. NOT ONLY THAT, THEY KNOW WHICH WEDGE!

AND EACH AND EVERY DAY, THEY GIVE AMERICA MORE UPDATES ON HIS SEX-REHAB STAY,

HIS WIFE’S PLANS FOR DIVORCE, AND HIS PLANS TO RETURN TO THE PRO-GOLF CIRCUIT.

OBAMA HAS BEEN IN OFFICE FOR OVER A YEAR NOW, AND THIS SAME PRESS STILL

CANNOT LOCATE OBAMA'S OFFICIAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE, OR ANY OF HIS PAPERS WHILE

IN COLLEGE, OR HOW HE PAID FOR A HARVARD EDUCATION, OR WHICH COUNTRY

ISSUED HIS VISA TO TRAVEL TO PAKISTAN IN THE 1980'S AS BARRY SORETORO AND

EVEN MICHELLE OBAMA’S PRINCETON THESIS ON RACISIM. IT JUST CAN’T BE FOUND?

YET THE PUBLIC STILL TRUSTS THAT SAME PRESS TO GIVE THEM
THE WHOLE TRUTH . . . TRULY REMARKABLE!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
One of the suspects was described as a Caucasian male who appeared to be dirty, in his 20’s, 6′1″ tall, thin build with a thin face. He had a beard and auburn color hair in a pony tail. He was wearing a light color T shirt and dark color pants.The incident is on-going and detectives are in the process of determining if any surveillance cameras captured the incident.
suspect01.jpg

- The picture at left, of which we now have several shots, is of an individual who, if he isn’t the prime suspect in the beating of Allee Bautsch and Joe Brown, sure ought to be. Bautsch told me via e-mail this morning that the suspect she and Joe Brown described to the police “looked exactly like that, and so did the rest of them (with different color hair).”
She took pains to say that she can’t make a positive identification of this man as one of her attackers, but he fits the description they gave to the New Orleans police. This is someone who needs to be questioned about the attack; there are two YouTube videos still available on which he appears.

The first one is of the protest as it marched from Lafayette Park to the Hilton.

And the second one is of the protestors as they marched to Brennan’s.

He was on the scene, he was part of the protest and the victims say he looks “exactly” like one of the assailants, right down to what he was wearing.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://biggovernment.com/jpollak/20...st-legislators-captured-on-video/#more-110550
Threats Against Legislators Captured on Video!

by Joel B. Pollak They came to the Capitol in their thousands. They waved angry signs and shouted at the legislators inside the building. They even issued direct threats against politicians who refused to do their bidding–threats that could reasonably be interpreted as violent:
They can run, but they can’t hide. We’re gonna be over there this afternoon, and we’re gonna find you. And if you try to leave town without doing your job, we’re gonna chase you. And when you come back home, we’ll be there.
No, it wasn’t the Tea Party protest against the health care bill last month in Washington, D.C. It was the protest that union leaders staged in Springfield, Illinois this week, calling on state legislators to raise taxes–or else.
The threats were direct, they were physical, and they were made in broad daylight. Yet there was no outrage from a media that has, in general, been at great pains to cast the Tea Party movement as violent and extreme.

The man delivering the threats was Henry Bayer, director of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). But there are plenty of union workers who would prefer to keep their jobs without paying higher taxes.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I heard an audio clip yesterday where one of the protest leaders was screaming "Raise our Taxes now!". He knows where his raises and pension come from, us. And the average union government worker makes over $80K a year, meaning they make a heck of a lot more than the average American worker.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
http://biggovernment.com/jpollak/20...st-legislators-captured-on-video/#more-110550
Threats Against Legislators Captured on Video!

by Joel B. Pollak They came to the Capitol in their thousands. They waved angry signs and shouted at the legislators inside the building. They even issued direct threats against politicians who refused to do their bidding–threats that could reasonably be interpreted as violent:
They can run, but they can’t hide. We’re gonna be over there this afternoon, and we’re gonna find you. And if you try to leave town without doing your job, we’re gonna chase you. And when you come back home, we’ll be there.

No, it wasn’t the Tea Party protest against the health care bill last month in Washington, D.C. It was the protest that union leaders staged in Springfield, Illinois this week, calling on state legislators to raise taxes–or else.
The threats were direct, they were physical, and they were made in broad daylight. Yet there was no outrage from a media that has, in general, been at great pains to cast the Tea Party movement as violent and extreme.

The man delivering the threats was Henry Bayer, director of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). But there are plenty of union workers who would prefer to keep their jobs without paying higher taxes.

I wonder if MSNBC, CBS, NBC, or ABC will be reporting this???? Ok, i wont hold my breath.

bbsam

Staff member
Embarrassed? Hell no. I do think he waits around for Republicans too long and he should take the bull by the horns a little quicker, but for the most part I'm quite pleased thanks for asking.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oh well, he DID win the Nobel Peace Prize, I guess that makes him great. The fact that he didn't do anything to win it escapes most folks. With the health bill now having 'surprising' costs just now coming to light ( Republicans have known all along) how can you be pleased with a lying dog?? This health bill will not reduce the deficit like he claimed. Liar, Liar !!