What to do????

upslick

Also, I have ran this route before many times. A big day mile wise is 200. This guy is getting over 300 a day. So it plans huge even though he might only have 7 hours of work. He might suck but he has it figured out quit well. He has four little towns he delivers to. He goes to each one and delivers the bus. then come back around to deliver resis. but half way thorugh he stops comes back to his main town does pick ups, drivers 30 miles to the center to drop air then turns around and goes back to each town again. It drives me crazy.

Do you have a center manager as well as the prego on car sup?I can't imagine why the DM hasn't gotten involved first hand on this situation, you know this is bringing the numbers down for the whole district. I don't understand why someone hasn't done an ODSe (is that right) virtual ride and some relooping on this route. This sounds like a classic screw up with EDD that no one has enough knowledge or will to fix.

As far as filing a grievance on a brother union member goes, give me a huge break.People do it all the time with lower senior drivers doing off the clock work,i.e. coming in early and sorting the truck. However basiclly the union's main goal in work distribution is to protect the higher senior drivers work from being taken away.

ups1990

I could be the guy that they send help to.

Routes are cut, drivers are overdispatched. I do my job and follow the methods. Oh well, I take my breaks and sit and play the banjo and eat lunch by Lake Erie. I send a message at 2 that I won't make 10.5 (flavor of the week). Around five a young buck comes and helps whining that he has delivered 175 stops and hasn't taken a break yet.

I give him my stops, go get some coffee and think about how he's contributing to the pension fund but won't get any of it because he's killing himself. In a few short years his knees, hips and back will be gone and another Red Bull Runner will take his place.

It's the nature of the brown beast.
When I read one of your post that you played the banjo during lunch, my tought was you were kidding. There isn't another driver in the country who could top you. Man, this is great. What do passers by say when they see a UPS driver playing his Banjo?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I read one of your post that you played the banjo during lunch, my tought was you were kidding. There isn't another driver in the country who could top you. Man, this is great. What do passers by say when they see a UPS driver playing his Banjo?

They toss change in the hat he puts by his feet. j/k

UPSGUY72

Also, I have ran this route before many times. A big day mile wise is 200. This guy is getting over 300 a day. So it plans huge even though he might only have 7 hours of work. He might suck but he has it figured out quit well. He has four little towns he delivers to. He goes to each one and delivers the bus. then come back around to deliver resis. but half way thorugh he stops comes back to his main town does pick ups, drivers 30 miles to the center to drop air then turns around and goes back to each town again. It drives me crazy.

Come on 300 miles a day if the guy drives 60 mph striaght it would take him 5 hrs to drive 300 miles without any stoping. IF the guy averaged 40 mph that would be 7 1/2 hrs a day just driving if you add his 1 hr lunch and two 10 min breaks. I would say the guy is doing a pretty good job. BUT I STILL THINK THE WHOLE STORY SMELLS FISHY

one of the routes I do has around 100-110 stops and you drive any where from 110-140 miles and it takes between 9-10 hrs. If your running and gunning you can do it under 9.

UPSGUY72

When he stays out past 11pm they change his start, he starts 10 hrs 20 minutes past his finish time. On car sup claims she cant ride with because she is pregnant. we are a small center with only 9 rts and she is all we have. I dont run at all, take my hour lunch everyday, and work at a safe, steady pace. When he worked 14 hrs last, all they did to him was instruck him not to do it again. I was thinking I could file under treating all employees the same. Seems like he and one other union brother gets favoritism. I find no fault in filing against another union brother, if what he does takes time away from my family.

When you became a driver didn't they tell don't expect to be home before 7 at night. If you want to be home with your family at a decent time everyday go get a 9-5 job. If you think that doing a route faster than someone else is going to get you home early your wrong all it is going to do is get you more work. Management expects that most of the drivers will be out between 8- 9 hrs each day it already built into there budget. So when guys come in early they add stops the there routes and start cutting other routes.

upslick

We do have edd. I should explain things further. I have been with ups for 13yrs. I started out as an unloader, then moved on to loading pkg cars. I have done it all in my center. FDC, ODC, counter clerk, porter, everything. After about a year, I was offered a pt time supervisir position, preload sup. I took it to try to make it to driver quicker. It didn't work, I actually would have made it quicker the other way. While I was pt time sup, I covered the center for a period of 3 yrs as center (or on-car) sup. This "guy" in question is untouchable. We once had him on camera in a different centers delivery area running a car off the road. Not even a warning letter, nothing. In the office there are 2 filing cabinets. One is all the employee files. Hire dates, training, warning letters, etc. The other cabinet is full of grieveances that the "guy" has filed. Which half of them are against his own union brothers and sisters. This guy files on everything. When I loaded his car about 8 yrs ago he filed on me everyday. Here is the best part, at the time he was a pkg/feeder driver. He would start at 2pm and do some delivers and pick ups, then at 7pm he would drive our air to the airport. He would be dispatched with around 10 stops per day and he had 11 pickups. He would start at 2pm and have to 6:50pm. Thats 4 hrs and 50 minutes minus his one hour lunch means 3 hrs and 50 minutes to do 21 stops/pickups. He would miss about 3 stops a day, and never once got all of his pickups. This guy is a cancer to our center and everyone (except me) is scared of him. I just was curious if this happens in every center or what I can do to make the uppers hold him accountable.

UPSGUY72

We do have edd. I should explain things further. I have been with ups for 13yrs. I started out as an unloader, then moved on to loading pkg cars. I have done it all in my center. FDC, ODC, counter clerk, porter, everything. After about a year, I was offered a pt time supervisir position, preload sup. I took it to try to make it to driver quicker. It didn't work, I actually would have made it quicker the other way. While I was pt time sup, I covered the center for a period of 3 yrs as center (or on-car) sup. This "guy" in question is untouchable. We once had him on camera in a different centers delivery area running a car off the road. Not even a warning letter, nothing. In the office there are 2 filing cabinets. One is all the employee files. Hire dates, training, warning letters, etc. The other cabinet is full of grieveances that the "guy" has filed. Which half of them are against his own union brothers and sisters. This guy files on everything. When I loaded his car about 8 yrs ago he filed on me everyday. Here is the best part, at the time he was a pkg/feeder driver. He would start at 2pm and do some delivers and pick ups, then at 7pm he would drive our air to the airport. He would be dispatched with around 10 stops per day and he had 11 pickups. He would start at 2pm and have to 6:50pm. Thats 4 hrs and 50 minutes minus his one hour lunch means 3 hrs and 50 minutes to do 21 stops/pickups. He would miss about 3 stops a day, and never once got all of his pickups. This guy is a cancer to our center and everyone (except me) is scared of him. I just was curious if this happens in every center or what I can do to make the uppers hold him accountable.

From what I'm reading I think the problem here is that you don't like this guy. Most likely because he wrote you up for misloads or stuff just no loaded in the correct place. GET OVER IT.

upslick

you guys have it all wrong. I am not bitter, just dont think me and a few others have to get his pickups cause he doesnt want to. I dont care if my route has 12hrs on it, nor do I mind helping another driver if something comes up. I am one of the few who will go back out and help. But if you tell me I have to go and do somebody elses work cause they dont want to. not happening. I would be as upset if it was a good friend. I am trying to stand up for us young guys. When the young coverage drivers run his route, its 100+ stops and no help. And yes they do skip there lunch and run, but not to make the guy look bad, but to get in and go home. I prmosie you that when we went to edd we lost alot of allowances, except for his route and one other. I lost 50 minutes, I didnt grip, figured edd would save me that much time and it has. I dont want to sound like a bitter person, but enough is enough with this guy. All the other drivers agree with me, but are scared to say anyhting. I am not. Just looking for advice is all. Did I mention he is our union steward. So its not like I can ask him to help me. Sorry if I offended anyone with these posts. I thought this was a place to come to for advice. I guess I was wrong.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Upslick, from my short experience at this company, I have found it better to just go do your job as directed and don't worry about the "other" guy and you"ll be ok! Even if you have to go do some of his "Stuff" just suck it up and do what you can.

If I was a full time driver I would grieve every freaking hour I could after 9.5.

Just be thankful you don't work pre-load and then go deliver for 10.5 hours and then do it for a month consecutively. Even though paychecks have been great, sometimes money is not everything. Keep your head up and just keep doing what you get paid for.

Cementups

Box Monkey
sounds like you need some telematics there too so management can really see what is going on with him and why he is not making it.

upslick

Upslick, from my short experience at this company, I have found it better to just go do your job as directed and don't worry about the "other" guy and you"ll be ok! Even if you have to go do some of his "Stuff" just suck it up and do what you can.

If I was a full time driver I would grieve every freaking hour I could after 9.5.

Just be thankful you don't work pre-load and then go deliver for 10.5 hours and then do it for a month consecutively. Even though paychecks have been great, sometimes money is not everything. Keep your head up and just keep doing what you get paid for.

Appreciate the words of wisdom. I have done that preload/drive thing before and feel for you. The checks are nice though.

partykid

What are/is telematics?
No seat belt, Bulk head door open, How many times in reverse and how long, Speed, etc,etc etc, You name it! Telematics will have you on a report, Enjoy, the runners will LOVE this when it gets to my center in about 6 months.:happy2:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
New here and 1st post. I am a 12yr emplyee, been driving for the last 3. We recently bid routes and I got the worst one. I don't mind that, seniority is earned. But a 20 yr veteren took a route and he sucks. This route is all rural routes. It has gone out with 100 stops since I have been there. He gets to go out with around 70. He doesnt get in til 11pm sometimes. When he sucks, I have to either go get his pick ups or somebodys while they do his. What kind of a grieveance can I file.

None. Work as directed. Mind your own business. Contrary to what you think, when this other driver gets in, how fast he works, what slack you have to pick up because of it is NOT your business.

leastbest

LeastBest

I've been on the same route for 29 years so everyone knows me.

I've had people bring guitars and mandolins to the beach to play with me.

On my site (at the top of the page) you can see me sitting on the beach of Lake Erie playing the banjo.

One day a supervisor asked me if I had a bad day the day before and I replied, "No, I learned a new song."

UPS is right, it is one of the best jobs in the community. You just have to understand that it's just a job and you have to understand the rules. They are your breaks, take them and relax. Do the job when you are working and enjoy your breaks.