what to do

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
we have a driver that will be in the office in the am for a warning letter. if it were not for being peak, it would be a lot worse. it seems he left his bulkhead door open, keys in the car, and delivered a two wheeler full of packages to a office complex. a sup took the keys, and when the driver called in to say he had lost the keys, the sup took them back to the driver saying "you mean these keys?".

a few weeks back, a ketter auditor and district sup were driving through to another center, when they spotted this same driver running a redlight at an intersection, bulkhead door open, no seatbelt, and talking on the phone.

there are some drivers that think the rules only apply to every one else. and he is under the impression that no matter what he does, the union is his get out of jail free card.

I know where this is headed if there is not a change in attitude. and the shop steward really has his hands full this time around.

any suggestions?

d

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
No matter what the Union does, sooner or later it will catch up to him. 90% of my representation is for the same 10% of the employees. They will get nailed eventually!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
90% of my representation is for the same 10% of the employees. They will get nailed eventually
here its about the same except more like 95% for 5%

Perhaps spending the week after Christmas sitting at home on an unpaid vacation may give him some time to think

already had several weeks off this year because of stuff. the seat belt issue was 10 days off. still has not changed behavior.

d

grgrcr88

That would be positive reinforcement!

Maybe get this guy a new time study so he doesn't have to break every rule in the book to get in 2 hours over.

Maybe he should not ever look at wether he is over/under and do the job by the methods.

Who cares if he is over!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Maybe get this guy a new time study so he doesn't have to break every rule in the book to get in 2 hours over.
not an issue, production is not pushed that heavy. consistancy is

as long as you are consistant with the sup ride alongs days, you are fine. even at 2 hours over. this guy usually is either even or under allowed.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess you don't work in a place where you get harassed for doing the job by the methods and congratulated for not.

No, I don't.

Poor time study or not, there is no excuse for leaving the keys in the PC with bulkhead door open while making a delivery that requires a hand cart. There is also no excuse for running a red light while not wearing a seatbelt with the bulkhead door open and talking on your cell phone.

grgrcr88

I guess you don't work in a place where you get harassed for doing the job by the methods and congratulated for not.

You people that continue to talk about harrasment for being over need to learn a thing or two. NO DRIVER HAS EVER BEEN SUSPENDED OR DISCHARGED FOR BEING OVER ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grgrcr88

You people that continue to talk about harrasment for being over need to learn a thing or two. NO DRIVER HAS EVER BEEN SUSPENDED OR DISCHARGED FOR BEING OVER ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the sup starts telling you about being over, nod your head and tell him your doing your best, if he can tell you something specific that would help you improve you would be happy to give it a try, then move on and perform your job as directed by the methods!!

You will be in trouble for not following methods sooner or later. Never for being over allowed.

Get Over The Over Allowed Nonsense!!!

Integrity

Binge Poster
we have a driver that will be in the office in the am for a warning letter. if it were not for being peak, it would be a lot worse. it seems he left his bulkhead door open, keys in the car, and delivered a two wheeler full of packages to a office complex. a sup took the keys, and when the driver called in to say he had lost the keys, the sup took them back to the driver saying "you mean these keys?".

a few weeks back, a ketter auditor and district sup were driving through to another center, when they spotted this same driver running a redlight at an intersection, bulkhead door open, no seatbelt, and talking on the phone.

there are some drivers that think the rules only apply to every one else. and he is under the impression that no matter what he does, the union is his get out of jail free card.

I know where this is headed if there is not a change in attitude. and the shop steward really has his hands full this time around.

any suggestions?

d

Deardannyboy,

My first comment on this post is that I completely disagree with the way the supervisor handled the situation. It seems to me it was an uprofessional way to handle a situation that demanded immediate attention. Management are supposed to take immediate action to help lead some "struggling employees" to corrective action, not turn a blinds eye or play childish games.

When a worker is constantly not working according to UPS methods it always makes me wonder why?

I have found that the chronic offenders often fall into 2 catagories:
The first being some workers are just going to do whatever they are going to do and have little interest in being told what to do by anybody.

The second is that some workers really believe that they have to do whatever it takes to get done and that cutting corners is part of the system.

Both of these circumstances, even if the violations are the same, would require a different approach when trying to help the employee correct himself.

I would first try to assess the attitude of the worker and establish for myself which of the 2 catagories I believe the worker falls in.

I would then use this information to help assess the best way to help the employee correct the situation. However it must always be remembered that as adults and employees of UPS the individual is responsible for seeing that the job is done "with integrity".

Sincerely,

I

UPS Lifer

I can remember a cocky employee I had one time. This driver came back late to the building when the hub was going down. The Hub Division Mgr who looked like a part-time supervisor told the driver to park his car and start unloading it so they could get down. The driver handed him the keys and said "do it yourself"! The driver did not know who he was....the division manager fired him on the spot and told him to go sit in my outer office.
The division manager came in and told me what happened... we had a great laugh. He said do you want to keep him? I actually thought about it... but told him yes. So he went out reamed the driver and told him that I got his job back and he better change his attitude.

Believe it or not - this guy really really changed.

I suggest that you and the manager and the steward figure out a way to "fire" this guy. Let him stew about it and make him think his time and luck have run out. Then let him have his job back with a reassurance that his attitude will change or next time he won't be so lucky. This may save him from ever doing something foolish again that could hinder his safety or the safety of others including packages. Maybe you could put in some Gross Negligence language and scare the living daylights out of him. He needs to think he has lost his job or nothing will change.

This will be a lot easier if he is married and has a family... you can put the "Jewish" guilt trip on him.

Good Luck - This guy does not realize how much you care for his success but maybe some day in the future he will realize what a good friend he had in you!!!

I can remember a cocky employee I had one time. This driver came back late to the building when the hub was going down. The Hub Division Mgr who looked like a part-time supervisor told the driver to park his car and start unloading it so they could get down. The driver handed him the keys and said "do it yourself"! The driver did not know who he was....the division manager fired him on the spot and told him to go sit in my outer office.
The division manager came in and told me what happened... we had a great laugh. He said do you want to keep him? I actually thought about it... but told him yes. So he went out reamed the driver and told him that I got his job back and he better change his attitude.

Believe it or not - this guy really really changed.

I suggest that you and the manager and the steward figure out a way to "fire" this guy. Let him stew about it and make him think his time and luck have run out. Then let him have his job back with a reassurance that his attitude will change or next time he won't be so lucky. This may save him from ever doing something foolish again that could hinder his safety or the safety of others including packages. Maybe you could put in some Gross Negligence language and scare the living daylights out of him. He needs to think he has lost his job or nothing will change.

This will be a lot easier if he is married and has a family... you can put the "Jewish" guilt trip on him.

Good Luck - This guy does not realize how much you care for his success but maybe some day in the future he will realize what a good friend he had in you!!!
What is a "Jewish" guilt trip? EXPLAIN?

D

Dis-organized Labor

All great comments except for Integrity's.
I have also had employees that were cocky and seemed to go out of their way to create problems for me, their Sups and them selves. Very different environment though because they are not out on their own like a PC driver is. Working with the Steward, so that what I was doing was not to harass, but to change behaviors. I did the progressive discipline thing and watched the guys like a hawk. When they got themselves to the point of truly fearing for their job, they came around. It just had to be realized that they were out of options.

Integrity seems to think running red lights, and leaving UPS's and Customer's property unprotected equals the only way this Driver can get done at a reasonable amount of time.
I think Integrity needs more common sense.