What to expect as a seasonal driver?

UPSER2021

I signed a bid to be a seasonal driver, I don't know if I'll get it but I would like to know what exactly does the job entail. Do they have a normal route during peak or do they just take packages from other drivers? Do they get the same training a 22.4 driver would get or are steps skipped? Any other info y'all can share will be appreciated.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Expect to be told ,, if you work hard , show up everyday and have no major fug ups ,, you'll be hired !! Lie # 1. It's a tactic to make you work faster ,,
Know that when management is asking you questions , they already know the answer !
Know that , no matter how hard you try and how well you do , it's not good enough !
know that many have done this before and have failed to learn the golden rule ,,, it's only cardboard , the day will end !!

1632438984320.gif

Last edited:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I signed a bid to be a seasonal driver, I don't know if I'll get it but I would like to know what exactly does the job entail. Do they have a normal route during peak or do they just take packages from other drivers? Do they get the same training a 22.4 driver would get or are steps skipped? Any other info y'all can share will be appreciated.
They put the rookies on gravy areas where you can get 8 stops off in one park position...keeps miss-deliveries to a minimum...hopefully you don’t get stringed along as a helper at first they love to pull that trick.
✊🧔

Sixth Punch Sense

Most likely you will have a modified route, out of a rental. Really easy delivery area and you will do someone's metro(pick ups). It's a good way to learn the system if you want to work in package

You will also need to complete intergrad

Cloud

No you don't need to complete integrad as a seasonal...at least not here.
They just get a condensed orientation with powerpoints and some videos.

Be weary of them telling you that you can "get hired". Dangling a carrot on a stick tactic.
You'll probably get a rental with residential stops and maybe they'll provide you with a DIAD. Be prepared to use that dumb android phone because they "don't have enough DIADs". We already don't have enough DIADs...they don't order any extra DIADs...and then when peak rolls around "OMG...We don't have enough DIADs for the seasonals too?!?!"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Most likely you will have a modified route, out of a rental. Really easy delivery area and you will do someone's metro(pick ups). It's a good way to learn the system if you want to work in package

You will also need to complete intergrad
A rental? All of the rural long time drivers get rentals here. All seasonals get regular package cars

Arch

Rentals ride better.
Not only that.
Free radio.
Free AC.
Less noisy.
No steps.
No telematics.

And the most important one. With no bulkhead door and shelves you have that as an excuse to work slower then a package car.

UPSER2021

Not only that.
Free radio.
Free AC.
Less noisy.
No steps.
No telematics.

And the most important one. With no bulkhead door and shelves you have that as an excuse to work slower then a package car.
I see the pros but what about the cons of a rental? I always thought drivers hated the rentals but it sounds like they are liked by alot.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I see the pros but what about the cons of a rental? I always thought drivers hated the rentals but it sounds like they are liked by alot.

The cons are exiting the driver’s side door into traffic 200 times a day, walking around back every time because you can’t get into the package compartment except through the rear door, packages that seem to have been loaded by blind monkeys and then blended into an unmanageable heap in the back, no backup camera, and no gps which everybody will laugh at but when you are a new driver with no maps the diad cradles make a big difference. The small rentals are absurdly unfit for the dispatches that they cram in there and then alternatively sometimes you will be driving an enormous box truck around a suburb just to deliver some Amazon bubble mailers. Probably some others I’m not thinking of too…

nWo

And people will be like why's there a U-Haul backing into my driveway. So you might get some weird looks.

UPSER2021

The cons are exiting the driver’s side door into traffic 200 times a day, walking around back every time because you can’t get into the package compartment except through the rear door, packages that seem to have been loaded by blind monkeys and then blended into an unmanageable heap in the back, no backup camera, and no gps which everybody will laugh at but when you are a new driver with no maps the diad cradles make a big difference. The small rentals are absurdly unfit for the dispatches that they cram in there and then alternatively sometimes you will be driving an enormous box truck around a suburb just to deliver some Amazon bubble mailers. Probably some others I’m not thinking of too…
Sounds like it'll be fun. No GPS is going to suck because I'm no good with directions. I'm sure I'm not the first one and it will just come to me with time.