what to expect in 2010???

stepitup

Mr. Pretzel Man....you say that surveys indicate the customer still loves their driver. They love the driver that they once knew. They don't understand why we no longer can find the time to ask them a personal question, they don't understand that taking the time to fill out their ASD's causes angst and anxiety when previously we simply placed a prelabeled one time pickup slip on their package.

I adore my customers and I hope they feel the same about me but they have definitely noticed a change in my demeanor. I will try to remain the same driver they can appreciate knowing it will come at a cost. To me, service is the human element I can provide. Everything else is preprogrammed.

A blessed Christmas to all.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I see a lot less management which will lead to a lot less micro-management .
And the downside to that is that there will be less control which will lead to more chaos.
The role and purpose of management is to Plan, Organize and Control. As management resources are reduced, at some point of reduction, an imaginary line will be crossed and Control will be lost. UPS will then adjust like we always do.

One labor manager, two center managers and a DM all 54 years old took a buyout in northeast Ohio last day Dec 31. This is a sure thing and its going to happen everywhere time to cut the dead weight. I've often wondered if they brought in some guys and girls from geek squad at best buy and paid them 15 bucks an hour if they couldn't do a better job than some managment for a lot less cash.

pretzel_man

Once again the driver supervisor,over 55 with 33 years, who is in the trenches is left out of the EBO. Typical UPS.

You are complaining about an EBO that may or may not exist and details tha may or may not be accurate.

There will be plenty of time to bash UPS AFTER you have the facts.

P-Man

Highwayman

I,m thinking there will be cuts. I hope there are buy outs and not lay offs or firings. Let's all hope for the best! Happy Holidays.:happy2:

randomUPSISer

And the downside to that is that there will be less control which will lead to more chaos.
The role and purpose of management is to Plan, Organize and Control. As management resources are reduced, at some point of reduction, an imaginary line will be crossed and Control will be lost. UPS will then adjust like we always do.

Hoax, I have to respectively disagree. UPS has been shifting decisions up, up, up the chain. Its to the point now we aren't allowed to do anything without a Application managers approval.

Much like people complain about the federal government making decisions far away in an ivory tower, having managers so far removed from the decisions they make (For example I'm relatively certain my App Manager doesn't even know what my apps do! ) leads to poor decisions.

I think its similar for the operations as well. Having been out in the operation one lifetime ago, I can remember decisions being forced upon the management team which were less than ideal. After those decisions failed, the management team gathered together and implemented custom solutions for the area which resulted in MUCH better results, and even less man hours.

The higher up a decision is made, the more "generic" the decision has to be. This leads to less than ideal results everywhere.

Relying on a few select people in management is simply a result of you not trusting the people within your organization to make good decisions. Not trusting your people directly reflects on the upper management (who consequentially are being given the ability to make more decisions??) as their influence has hired people below them, all the way down to the people at the bottom. If the people below you aren't good decision makers, its because YOU weren't a good decision maker when you hired them! :sad-very:

There is an imaginary line in there, but I truly think its after 2-3 layers of management have been removed completely. We could still stand to lose a TON of "management" and end up with a much flatter organization.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There is a MYTH here that service is poor. Service measured objectively is at an all time high.

Find someone who has access to SEAS and take a look at the service levels. Hub missorts are approaching 1 per 2500. That's incredible.

Of course, we are spending a lot of money to make the service good. People are digging into trailers to find missorts. There are shuttle runs everywhere at great expense, but service is definitely higher.

The only MIP element that was accomplished was service.

P-Man

Pretzelman,

You obviously are not on the front lines of the business. Those beloved reports showing "missort" frequency are complete KKrap. On the front lines of every center and every hub in every district, those reports are manipulated by the very people responsible for creating them.

One of the main reasons for the decrease in missort reporting has to do with the "false" coding of missorts in the first place.

Its an easy task to appear "good" on numbers when all you have to do is instruct your drivers to falsely "sheet" packages with codes that dont appear on the "missed" or service failed reports.

Managers at every hub have instructed both the drivers, OMS sups and hub personnel to record pkgs that were service failed for the day as "NOT READY 1".

Additionally, another popular code is "SECURITY".

These codes prevent the proper recording of service failed packages by the thousands each business day.

In my hub, I personally presented to the division manager, documentation from our "management" to sheet as described above, and his response was "we have to do, what we have to do", "we dont need the heat from corporate".

While you are celebrating some rediculous report, those trying to keep in line with their bonus structures are "cooking the books" in order to appear as if "all is well" on the front lines.

Its too bad the company doesnt can every single management person responsible for "cooking the books".

Its just better to appear successful on paper.

On a daily basis, our particular center service fails about 100 packages a day due to missorts on wrong cars. PAS has proven to be a partial success but proned to serious err's.

As far as service is concerned, WLA is probably the worst for service as overtime has hit all time highs this year. Plenty of package drivers have passed 90K this year. This hasnt been due to raises, but completely related to the excessive overtime worked each week since the begining of the year.

1145 is the average paid day out here. Knocking on customers doors after 830pm and some up to 930pm doesnt make for good customer service.

The company, in its efforts to provide better communication to its customers, sends emails to customers telling them to expect their package between 9am and 5pm, only to have our drivers showing up at 9pm.

This is a constant source of aggravation for the drivers as "we" are the ones having to explain why we are out there after 830pm.

The company has spent tons of money on excessive overtime in 2009 and to that end, any hopes of additional profits disappeared with the extra 20K paid to each full time driver.

Service, is a thing of the past. Today, numbers mean more to the company than service ever has.

MIP has been the root cause of corruption in the package divisions. As long as managers are directly affected by the daily business, then there will always be managers trying to manipulate the numbers and increasing their MIP.

:peaceful:

What'dyabringmetoday???

In my neck of the woods, they want missed packages taken to the CIF room to be entered as "Futures". I go ahead and sheet them as missed and write that on the package with the largest letters possible so the customer knows the next day. Just doing my part.

pretzel_man

Other:

You are accurate that I'm not on the VERY front line of the business. On the other hand, you do not know how the reports are created.

There is almost zero ability to manipulate the service reports. They come from SEAS, and NOT the daily reports your center sees.

The missorts I was talking about were hub missorts. They are automatically generated and assigned. There is no code that can be input to change those reports.

In addition, service failures are calculated by the system based on the service the customer has chosen. The reports are a "no excuses" report. Meaning that entering "Security" does not keep the package from showing up as late.

There are very few codes that can hide a service failure, and their use is closely monitored.

Go have someone show you the SEAS reports.

P-Man

Pretzelman,

You obviously are not on the front lines of the business. Those beloved reports showing "missort" frequency are complete KKrap. On the front lines of every center and every hub in every district, those reports are manipulated by the very people responsible for creating them.

One of the main reasons for the decrease in missort reporting has to do with the "false" coding of missorts in the first place.

Its an easy task to appear "good" on numbers when all you have to do is instruct your drivers to falsely "sheet" packages with codes that dont appear on the "missed" or service failed reports.

Managers at every hub have instructed both the drivers, OMS sups and hub personnel to record pkgs that were service failed for the day as "NOT READY 1".

Additionally, another popular code is "SECURITY".

These codes prevent the proper recording of service failed packages by the thousands each business day.

In my hub, I personally presented to the division manager, documentation from our "management" to sheet as described above, and his response was "we have to do, what we have to do", "we dont need the heat from corporate".

While you are celebrating some rediculous report, those trying to keep in line with their bonus structures are "cooking the books" in order to appear as if "all is well" on the front lines.

Its too bad the company doesnt can every single management person responsible for "cooking the books".

Its just better to appear successful on paper.

On a daily basis, our particular center service fails about 100 packages a day due to missorts on wrong cars. PAS has proven to be a partial success but proned to serious err's.

As far as service is concerned, WLA is probably the worst for service as overtime has hit all time highs this year. Plenty of package drivers have passed 90K this year. This hasnt been due to raises, but completely related to the excessive overtime worked each week since the begining of the year.

1145 is the average paid day out here. Knocking on customers doors after 830pm and some up to 930pm doesnt make for good customer service.

The company, in its efforts to provide better communication to its customers, sends emails to customers telling them to expect their package between 9am and 5pm, only to have our drivers showing up at 9pm.

This is a constant source of aggravation for the drivers as "we" are the ones having to explain why we are out there after 830pm.

The company has spent tons of money on excessive overtime in 2009 and to that end, any hopes of additional profits disappeared with the extra 20K paid to each full time driver.

Service, is a thing of the past. Today, numbers mean more to the company than service ever has.

MIP has been the root cause of corruption in the package divisions. As long as managers are directly affected by the daily business, then there will always be managers trying to manipulate the numbers and increasing their MIP.

:peaceful: