What to expect..

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Anyone know what the average 1st year driver makes with Tractor Trailer? Job description says this is over night.. The only reason for all the questions is because I was offered fulltime positions with 2 other company's.. I have a large family and I need to make sure I choose correctly. One was just under $60,000 a year growing within 3 years to around $70,000 .. The other I am out 5 days home 2 starting pay $75,000 a year.. Trying to figure out just how long it is going to take for me to get to this pay or higher.. I am starting I think at $19 with UPS.. I was told within 4 years expect to make around $36..
Well based on 48 hours/week:
  • Year 1 ($18.75): $51K
  • Year 2 ($19.50): $53K
  • Year 3 ($21.00): $57K
  • Year 4 ($25.00): $67K
  • Year 5 ($36.50): $99K
That Year 5 rate is a very conservative (low) estimate of what the top rate will be in 2019. It could be about $37.50 to $38.00

Also consider you won't be paying weekly/monthly premiums for your health insurance. There will be monthly union dues (and an initiation fee).

Anthonysg0113

Well based on 48 hours/week:
  • Year 1 ($18.75): $51K
  • Year 2 ($19.50): $53K
  • Year 3 ($21.00): $57K
  • Year 4 ($25.00): $67K
  • Year 5 ($36.50): $99K
That Year 5 rate is a very conservative (low) estimate of what the top rate will be in 2019. It could be about $37.50 to $38.00

Also consider you won't be paying weekly/monthly premiums for your health insurance. There will be monthly union dues (and an initiation fee).
Ahhhh... $38 an hour! I can't wait. But I hate to see what the tax rate will be by then.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
That is what I am thinking... I have my interview road test and physical on Monday.. This would mean I miss out on one of the other jobs.. I am guessing that if they are doing road test and physical they want to without a doubt hire me. I will pass the road test and physical with flying colors..
Think again. There are no guarantees at UPS. Not saying you won't but more times than not whatever you think is going to happen at UPS doesn't.

Trucking

That is what I am thinking... I have my interview road test and physical on Monday.. This would mean I miss out on one of the other jobs.. I am guessing that if they are doing road test and physical they want to without a doubt hire me. I will pass all of that with flying colors..

Why would they have me come in for physical and drug test if they were not hiring. . Is that normal?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I suggest you go to Teamster.org and download the National Master Agreement (NMA) & Wisconsin Supplement (I think it's Local 344) and skim through it for all the feeder stuff.
It looks like Local 344/Wisconsin is a rider to the Central Region Supplement, so include that.

Look for info about daily/weekly guarantee of hours (if it applies to "extra board" drivers, that someone else said you'd be), and "layoff" language. Such as how long you could go without driving before you'd be able to pick up hours during the part time package handler shifts, how many hours and what would be your pay rate for that. Also, what is required to keep your health insurance.

Trucking

Okay passed everything and my first day is October 5th.. I have been hired as a full time feeder...6-8 guys on the list that are above me.. Anyone know what hours during peak look like? Hoping for lots of hours seeing January thru March I was told are slow..

Anthonysg0113

Just like package car, you'll be getting more hours than you ever wanted during peak. But after the first of the year you might be able to bump in on preload and local sort til vacation time starts.

lowats

I am being hired on as a Tractor Trailer driver fulltime.. I go in for my road test and drug screen on Monday.. I was told I am full time but there may be times where I only drive 1 day a week.. I was told this is not seasonal but year round.. Just wondering what to expect??

Hi first time poster here...

basically i need advice, I'm 21 with my CDL class A with Tankers/Hazmat/Doubles&Triples endorsement. i work for the largest hub in indianapolis & have been a part time package handler here for 3 years. I really want to go into feeders and since may 2015 (when i got my CDL) i check our board for feeder listings constantly. since i have had my CDL there has only been seasonal feeder positions open to only combo/package car drivers. I called HR talked to the hiring manager for Feeders & was told she "is waiting on the okay" to go ahead and open up a few more spots, but if she doesn't get approval within a week, there will be none opened up to part timers. (tip at least after peak) During the day i have another part time job driving semis for another company. Currently my plan is to wait a year to November 2016 and if I'm not driving by then to possibly leave. I need advice because i don't want to leave but seeing all these other truck jobs that pay a 60k a year is so tempting. i know in the long run UPS would pay more but I'm tired of making crap pay. What would u recommend? I've heard of drivers at our hub that go to other companies then come back as a seasonal feeder and get kept on. If i do wait it out can i apply to be a seasonal feeder once I've got 2 years experience? thank you for your time reading this and any advice that you give...

Last edited: