What Traits In A Supervisor Do You Admire/Hate?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
So i can pretty much say i've had one of the best and worst sups. at UPS. And i've only been there a year.

I had the best and worst supes of my working career to that point at UPS.

I had four full-time supes, one sort manager and about a half-dozen p/t supes. I respected three of those full-timers and couldn't stand the third. One friend/t'er needed my help one night when his belt tore and rolled, backing up his area by almost two hours after official down. I was released and walking out when he requested my help. I didn't get out til 11:30. He shook my hand and thanked me for my help. I told him all he had to do was ask and I'd be glad to help him again.

I had an friend/ter that just liked to scream. He also liked to micro-manage. Drove his supes nuts and made my life h*ll. I let him have his fun until a member of management cried foul because I couldn't help him without my supe's approval. I learned then that its better to let management handle its own problems. UPS had a much more effective system than grievances.

I had several p/t supes that just thought they could mistreat me. I refused to help them if they were going to treat me badly. One by one they turned around, mostly because I refused to help them when they needed the help. Its amazing what a little respect buys you folks in management! -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The sup that I can't stand is the one that will stand there and look you square in the eye and blatantly lie to you.

I had one of those in Illinois. The supes in Colorado were almost all scum. Two decent p/t supes and one full-timer. Another tried but he was fighting a losing battle. A real shame, too. -Rocky