what would be most important about our next contract

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Fans must be mounted in the cab of all package cars. Right now it's left up to individual districts. A creepy manager took ours out for 2 summers. You gotta have somethin to move 100+ degree heat and exhaust fumes around. I'm not asking for AC. But I think the next smart butt who tries to save a buck by removing our fans should have his office in a p-1000 for a few weeks dead summer.

SmithBarney

Instating some sort of Transfer Program, which allows employees to transfer to available positions around the country.
I'd still be working at UPS if they had such a program... instead I'm making 30 percent of what I would have been making.

paidover95

How about negotiating earlier start times???They keep pushing it back.They want to start us at 9 am starting next week.When I first started we had 7.55-8.05-815 start times.I know everyone cant start early but how about a % of the routes???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Eliminate pay progressions. Pay local sorters and pre loaders the same hourly rate as the package car drivers. Why not, they work 3 times harder than we do in package.

Agreed. Preloaders touch 3 or 4 trucks worth of packages in 4-4.5 hours in our building. We need at minimum a contract like 97 where the part-timers got extra raises in order to catch up with full time rate.

That ain't going to happen why would anyone want to advance past PT loader. You get $30 hr, health care, pension, etc have the whole day to either have another PT job or do nothing and still bring home more money than half the people in the US.

I agree that the gap between PT and FT pay must be narrowed. upsguy is right--pkg car wages aren't going to happen--but a 50% increase in the starting wage would be a start. A two-tiered wage system for PTers, with one wage for PTers who want benefits and a higher one for those who don't. So, for a new hire who doesn't want benefits, I would suggest a starting wage of at least $15/hr. I would also be willing to accept a pay freeze (provided everything else stays the same) in order to help close this gap.

I disagree with eliminating pay progressions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about negotiating earlier start times???They keep pushing it back.They want to start us at 9 am starting next week.When I first started we had 7.55-8.05-815 start times.I know everyone cant start early but how about a % of the routes???

You may be surprised to learn that your mgt team would like nothing more than to get you guys on the road earlier. The problem is the hubs (or so we are told). We used to start as early as 0830--now it is 0915 and we normally don't pull until 0925-0930. I used to have no problem delivering air and ground together--it is much more difficult to do that now.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Harassment needs to be addressed differently than it is now. Maybe a years wages as punishment.
No more mandatory overtime. They don't want to start us at a reasonable hour to satisfy air commits and business obligations, and I don't want to be on the road at 8 pm. We are told its the air making us wait til 8:45-9am start, yet I have to finish loading my truck because the preload has been sent home because of their production number. Making a 10-20 min difference of getting on the road. A production number shouldn't make my customers wait.
A freeze on stops add to trucks. You want to add stops to a truck, add a new route.
I'm not done.

hypocrisy

Banned
Remove "Unprovoked assault on an employee or supervisory employee" as a cardinal sin. Any and all such instances of physical assault without a weapon will be treated with the following progressive discipline procedure: 1st offense: documented talk with. 2nd offense: documented talk with. 3rd offense: documented talk with. 4th offense: documented talk with. 5th offense: documented talk with. 6th offense: documented talk with. 7th offense: documented talk with. 9th offense: documented talk with. 10th offense: documented talk with. 11th offense: documented talk with. 12th offense: documented talk with. 13th offense: documented talk with. 14th offense: documented talk with. 15th offense: documented talk with. 16th offense warning letter (expires after 10 days). 17th offense: 1 day suspension. 18th offense: 3 day suspension. 19th offense: 5 day suspension. 20th offense: termination. Warning letter must be in effect for any progressive discipline after 16th offense.

I'd happily take a $5/hr pay cut for that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We should be allowed 1 (one) free pass per year for telling a totally unreasonable or obnoxious customer to go friend%$k themelves.

I would even trade an optional or sick day for it. It could be in the form of a punch card; you could bring your card into the office at the end of the day, inform your management team that you excercised your "go friend%$k yourself" privilege at a particular address, and then the next day when the complaint came in they would just punch the card, deduct a sick day from your bank, and toss the complaint in the trash.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Eliminate pay progressions. Pay local sorters and pre loaders the same hourly rate as the package car drivers. Why not, they work 3 times harder than we do in package.

Sorters of course. Pre loaders that do a great job, no missloads, pack well, drivers approval cards etc etc. Make preload a job everyone wants, instead of making it a job everyone runs away from. Reward, reward, reward.

Of course the cards might not fit well with some drivers. Some drivers only complain about a load only because theres actual work in them regardless of load quality.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorters of course. Pre loaders that do a great job, no missloads, pack well, drivers approval cards etc etc. Make preload a job everyone wants, instead of making it a job everyone runs away from. Reward, reward, reward.

Of course the cards might not fit well with some drivers. Some drivers only complain about a load only because theres actual work in them regardless of load quality.

Load quality cards are obsolete--we (drivers) do this on the DIADs now. The problem is getting the DPS to pass along the information to the loaders.

Brownnblue

Triple time pay for all time drivers spend in the building from 8:30 AM until leave building. This leaving at 9 or 9:30 has to stop.

No use of EC unless every driver available is on the road.

If you call in and a Supe says "we really need you today" he should be terminated on the spot. I "really need" another route in my loop half the year but no one cares.

If you request loop work to fix your EDD so we can be efficient it must be completed in 5 working days or the Supe is fired. Why should we have the only production standard.

If you see it or your Supe calls you while he is driving, fired. Set an example.

Have requested number of totes supplied for each driver and loaded in the morning or shut up about containerizing smalls. You want the pieces in your small sort then supply the totes.

Stop aggravating existing customers while begging for sales leads.

Pay freeze with increased pension and health care contributions.

You are my hero

thessalonian13

Fans must be mounted in the cab of all package cars. Right now it's left up to individual districts. A creepy manager took ours out for 2 summers. You gotta have somethin to move 100+ degree heat and exhaust fumes around. I'm not asking for AC. But I think the next smart butt who tries to save a buck by removing our fans should have his office in a p-1000 for a few weeks dead summer.
Our division manager said fans in our trucks would be useless.... It would move hot air around... that's all...

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Our division manager said fans in our trucks would be useless.... It would move hot air around... that's all...

That is so rude. When it's 100+ sitting at a light or worse yet in a traffic jam, that hot air moving makes a difference when you're sweating your behind off. It also moves fumes around. I say no a.c. for them this summer, nor a fan, and every hour or so someone should pipe a buncha diesel fumes in.

JustTired

free at last.......
This is just my opinion and I don't want to be a downer here....but something to think about.......

What do you think all of these programs and their implementation have been leading up to? I'm talking about PAS/EDD, telematics and (yes) even the purchasing of cars with auto transmissions. I still think that the company believes that they can put anybody off the street behind the wheel and continue as if almost nothing has changed.

With this seeming "anti-union" agenda being carried out by the Republicans....the time may be right for the company to make a move in that direction. Especially if those Governors are successful in their respective states. I'm probably wrong (and I hope to God I am), but it might be something to think about before asking for too much in the way of increases this time around. Although I believe that the majority of UPS employees are worth every penny that they make (and then some)...... me thinks there is something ominous underfoot.
Tread lightly!!

What'dyabringmetoday???

This is just my opinion and I don't want to be a downer here....but something to think about.......

What do you think all of these programs and their implementation have been leading up to? I'm talking about PAS/EDD, telematics and (yes) even the purchasing of cars with auto transmissions. I still think that the company believes that they can put anybody off the street behind the wheel and continue as if almost nothing has changed.

With this seeming "anti-union" agenda being carried out by the Republicans....the time may be right for the company to make a move in that direction. Especially if those Governors are successful in their respective states. I'm probably wrong (and I hope to God I am), but it might be something to think about before asking for too much in the way of increases this time around. Although I believe that the majority of UPS employees are worth every penny that they make (and then some)...... me thinks there is something ominous underfoot.
Tread lightly!!
It would likely help if people would get more involved with union issues, but far too often, I find most of the people I work with are only concerned with themselves. I guess that is fine, but if we all think back several years and what our predecessors went through, we may learn some lessons. The only reason we have what we have is because of the many fights over the years. The company is very aware of how weak this union has become.

I am not saying people need to go to every meeting and wear union hats and shirts and so on. I simply believe we should try to be on the same page and work for the better good of everyone. I am afraid that will not happen until it is too late.

Here is what I would like to see in future contracts:

-Perhaps there could be a way to simplify the language so as to eliminate "gray areas"

-Better bidding language: more specific language as to what is on each route. As it stands now, you could end up going just about anywhere in our center so bidding is useless.

-Better bumping procedure if your run is "cut" for the day.

-ALL delivery and feeder work will be done by FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES. If there is no work for them, they would perform part-time work to get their hours. If the part-timers can come out and do the work now, why can't we reverse the method??

-Vacations changed so you can use them one day at a time instead of 5 days at a time. May not pertain to a lot of people, but some may enjoy this benefit.

-If a part-timer works 40 hours in one week, that will become a full-time job. Not 30 days, not this, that, or the other mumbo-jumbo. A part-time job is not one that works 40 hours a week. That is full-time and if memory serves, we walked a picket line for this nonsense several years ago. It has gotten worse by the day.

-Relief from overtime should come not on a one-day basis. If you don't want overtime, then you should be relieved from it EVERY day. None of this nonsense of requesting an eight-hour day twice a month. (that is how it is here) There usually is someone who wants to be in a brown truck 12 hours a day. Let them have the overtime. This would build morale and suddenly the company would find people would actually WANT overtime.

-Not only would union membership be required but minimum meeting attendance. Oops, that would not be in contract.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It would likely help if people would get more involved with union issues, but far too often, I find most of the people I work with are only concerned with themselves. I guess that is fine, but if we all think back several years and what our predecessors went through, we may learn some lessons. The only reason we have what we have is because of the many fights over the years. The company is very aware of how weak this union has become.

I am not saying people need to go to every meeting and wear union hats and shirts and so on. I simply believe we should try to be on the same page and work for the better good of everyone. I am afraid that will not happen until it is too late.

Here is what I would like to see in future contracts:

-Perhaps there could be a way to simplify the language so as to eliminate "gray areas"

-Better bidding language: more specific language as to what is on each route. As it stands now, you could end up going just about anywhere in our center so bidding is useless.

-Better bumping procedure if your run is "cut" for the day.

-ALL delivery and feeder work will be done by FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES. If there is no work for them, they would perform part-time work to get their hours. If the part-timers can come out and do the work now, why can't we reverse the method??

-Vacations changed so you can use them one day at a time instead of 5 days at a time. May not pertain to a lot of people, but some may enjoy this benefit.

-If a part-timer works 40 hours in one week, that will become a full-time job. Not 30 days, not this, that, or the other mumbo-jumbo. A part-time job is not one that works 40 hours a week. That is full-time and if memory serves, we walked a picket line for this nonsense several years ago. It has gotten worse by the day.

-Relief from overtime should come not on a one-day basis. If you don't want overtime, then you should be relieved from it EVERY day. None of this nonsense of requesting an eight-hour day twice a month. (that is how it is here) There usually is someone who wants to be in a brown truck 12 hours a day. Let them have the overtime. This would build morale and suddenly the company would find people would actually WANT overtime.

-Not only would union membership be required but minimum meeting attendance. Oops, that would not be in contract.
Fairy tales. Article 40 will not be re-written, sounds great but again not realistic.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Forgive me for appearing obtuse, but what does Article 40 have to do with what I wrote? And yes, I am aware of what Article 40 is and what it pertains to and most of the language in it.
They are employees called air drivers, they are typically part-time employees picking up /delivering air and exception parcels. I'm fairly confident Art 40 is not going anywhere and PT air drivers will not disappear.