what would be most important about our next contract

What'dyabringmetoday???

OH now you make that distinction ;) You had said delivery and feeder ; air operations are shuttle, delivering, meet points, airport runs, exception work ( grounds included) as you are probably aware. Most of that work, other than the airport shuttle work, is PT oriented.

The use of PT and FT drivers for delivery of FT ROUTES, more like you were saying, are spelled out in supplements. Every region is different. Some regions have PT covers, some have PT or FT seasonal covers, some have FT bid area covers...then you have locals that negotiate their own deals (705 for ex)

It is difficult to stand together when each region is different, but I agree in principal.

Do you really think the company wants more FT jobs and less PT, throwaway high-turnover jobs? Do you believe the union wants more FT jobs? When the PTers contribute (at least here) more dues $49/mo versus $66/mo for FT. Also, the initiation fees from new hire turnover would be curtailed if the stability of mostly full time jobs entered the picture at UPS. Less jobs = less dues money. less turnover = less initiation fee. Seems like less money for union, unless pension/benefit monetary contributions were bumped up.
I believe that I have made myself quite clear from the beginning. Not sure if you are having some fun or if I do not do well with making a point.

I definitely do not understand some of your points. At this point, there are part-timers working over 40 hours a week. As I stated, the work is not going to change by changing the CLASSIFICATION of the workers that are going over 40 hours. It WOULD change their rate, guarantees, AND, unless I am mistaken, would INCREASE the amount of dues money. You would have the same amount of work, being done by the same amount of people, only those people that work over 40 hours would now be full-time. Maybe I am missing something.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
-ALL delivery and feeder work will be done by FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES. If there is no work for them, they would perform part-time work to get their hours. If the part-timers can come out and do the work now, why can't we reverse the method??
You were very clear initially, "ALL DELIVERY" then backpedaled with "ground" qualifier a day later making it all ground delivery.

What'dyabringmetoday???

You were very clear initially, "ALL DELIVERY" then backpedaled with "ground" qualifier a day later making it all ground delivery.
Sorry that I assumed that most people would be able to understand what a delivery job is and what a feeder job is. Feel free to continue with the jabs. I have fairly broad shoulders.

What I do not understand, is why you would not welcome more full-time opportunities. That is pretty much what I am advocating. If you feel it necessary to pick apart my postings, so be it. But why would you support more part-time jobs? I guess that is hard to understand. Perhaps I should review some of your posts on here and try to figure out if you are an hourly or not. Shame on me for assuming so. Of course, you have a right to your opinions as well. If you think more part-time jobs are better for the rank-and-file, well, I guess you have that right.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sorry that I assumed that most people would be able to understand what a delivery job is and what a feeder job is. Feel free to continue with the jabs. I have fairly broad shoulders.

What I do not understand, is why you would not welcome more full-time opportunities. That is pretty much what I am advocating. If you feel it necessary to pick apart my postings, so be it. But why would you support more part-time jobs? I guess that is hard to understand. Perhaps I should review some of your posts on here and try to figure out if you are an hourly or not. Shame on me for assuming so. Of course, you have a right to your opinions as well. If you think more part-time jobs are better for the rank-and-file, well, I guess you have that right.

I am all for more FT jobs, however I am not sure that benefits the union financially.

I believe that by keeping the starting rate so low, it works to both UPS and Unions advantage.

In the previous post I spelled out a few possible reasons why. Whether they are correct, untrue, or in the middle, I don't know.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Fair enough. I guess I somewhat see your point on the initiation fees and the argument(s) that go along. I personally feel that no turnover would be better. More full-time jobs would be better. Sorry if I seemed to get combative. I would hope we could all work together to make things better for everyone. Of course, you know that will be a difficult task. I wish you a wonderful weekend.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Fair enough. I guess I somewhat see your point on the initiation fees and the argument(s) that go along. I personally feel that no turnover would be better. More full-time jobs would be better. Sorry if I seemed to get combative. I would hope we could all work together to make things better for everyone. Of course, you know that will be a difficult task. I wish you a wonderful weekend.

Here PT employees typically get 15-20 hours a week and pay $49/mo flat

FT employees typically get 40-50 hours a week and pay $66/mo flat

If we combined those PT jobs into FT jobs, (if it were hypothetically possible), would that not be less dues money?

Also if there was NO turnover, hypothetically, would that not mean that the $350? initiations would stop coming in. That's a fair chunk of money to give up, also. 100 less initiation fees for one local union in a year, assumed $350, is $35,000. Multiply that nationwide ( more for some locals, less others)..it's a nice size $ amount. Important enough of a financial hit or incentive to weigh and discuss? Maybe, maybe not but I'm no expert!

You have a nice weekend also.

JonFrum

my local's due 2.5x your pay rate a month. part and full time. i can't believe some locals are $49 for part timers. ridiculous
In my Local high-seniority part-timers (hired before the summer of 1982) make close to driver's rate, but they may only get 17.5 hours per week. They pay full-time dues of $90 per month, but get part-time H&W and pension. Local Union Executive Boards can do just about anything they want.

Braveheart

I would like to have my Center Manager or On Road do my route on a 3 day ride of my choosing, mid summer, while I hold a stop watch and a clip board.

Then I get to fire him and he can sit out for a year and go through a union leaning board to see if he gets his job back usually without back pay and see how he and his family likes it. He says it is so easy then man up and prove it blimpie! No worry of getting fired since it is so easy right.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I would like to have my Center Manager or On Road do my route on a 3 day ride of my choosing, mid summer, while I hold a stop watch and a clip board.

Then I get to fire him and he can sit out for a year and go through a union leaning board to see if he gets his job back usually without back pay and see how he and his family likes it. He says it is so easy then man up and prove it blimpie! No worry of getting fired since it is so easy right.

So why didn't you just do the job you were asked to do? Oh ya, now I remember, ya don't have to cause the union said.........think about your family first next time. UPS pays you not the union. Not saying you cannot disagree, but ya might not want to disobey... Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So why didn't you just do the job you were asked to do? Oh ya, now I remember, ya don't have to cause the union said.........think about your family first next time. UPS pays you not the union. Not saying you cannot disagree, but ya might not want to disobey... Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Dragon,

UPS pays you 15/hr, the union kicks in the rest. Which is roughly, half. Ask FedEx.

Take care.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I appreciate the wage and benefits we are given and, in return, I give my heart and sole and body to my job. Unfortunately, though, the job has become impossible. Not because I can't do the work, but the work load has doubled in the last two-three years. So, has the profit. It shouldn't be my responsibility to satisfy the insatiable appetite of a top few.

JustTired

free at last.......
I'm not sure what you are trying to describe or predict in your post, but I can tell you not to hold your breath waiting for it to happen, because its never going to happen.

"Something ominous under foot"? LOL? Maybe its that load of crap you are trying to lay down, LOL??

PAS/EDD, automatic transmissions, telematics (not sure how this would assist a rookie driver but you said it), are not leading up to anything or plan to replace the current drivers and I'll tell you why. Our seasonal and summer vacation help is so babied and handled with kid gloves its not even funny. Our center management has no confidence in any outside help pulling a full route on their own. Instead, they are dispatched with 6 hours of work on routes that are mainly industrial on 2 or 3 streets and its been stripped entirely of its house calls.

If you think UPS is going to replace it entire driver ranks with these people, think again. They would have to dispatch 75% more routes than they currently do now.

They simply have no confidence in any outsiders because they know that each route is jacked to the point that its barely humanly possible. If the job was even a notch tougher, it couldn't be done by a human. So, obviously they can't put any shmoe off the street into a truck and say "go do the route" which is what you implied because of the benefits of EDD/PAS.

Look....I'm not trying to predict anything. Just "food for thought". I agree that putting a rookie behind the wheel will not yield the results that the company would hope for. But, consider the possibility that these "greenhorns" would be making considerably less per hour. That would afford the company the ability to "add more routes" and to weather the transition. Believe me....I'm not a company man by any means....but it is wise to consider the possibility, no matter how remote it may seem.

They can't move the U.S. operation overseas as so many other companies have done. They can't fill the seats of package cars with cheap labor from Mexico (although inside jobs could be a different story). So, if they try doing nothing......they are stuck with a full time workforce that is probably one of the highest paid in the country (not just the industry). I wouldn't put it past them to try anything. It's becoming a different world out there and in my opinion it's not for the better. I think (right or wrong) it's gonna be hard to hold on to what you've got and that would sadden me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't think that starting earlier will help much with when you show up vs. FedEx express.

If you had an earlier start, you would deliver more ground while doing the air, right? The air commit would remain unchanged and more ground would be delivered on trace with the AIR???

If you delivered just air, then ground you would be right, but all that would do is increase miles and cost.

That would not be the intent of an earlier start.

Dropping ground with the air would be a huge benefit for our customers. Hard to explain to a stop that got their Fedex Ground packages an hour ago that I can only drop the Air and I will be back after 10:30 with their ground. If we can't process packages thru our hubs and preload then we simply need to hire enough people. If I go to a fast food joint that isn't staffed to handle the lunch volume I won't be going back there. Our constant understaffing of operations has reached the point of diminishing returns.

LVD*4*LIFE

You get what you pay for.........Higher starting wage for part-timers. Bring back the $1 catch up, or more, this next contract for ptimers.

Re-Raise

They can't move the U.S. operation overseas as so many other companies have done. They can't fill the seats of package cars with cheap labor from Mexico (although inside jobs could be a different story). So, if they try doing nothing......they are stuck with a full time workforce that is probably one of the highest paid in the country (not just the industry). I wouldn't put it past them to try anything. It's becoming a different world out there and in my opinion it's not for the better. I think (right or wrong) it's gonna be hard to hold on to what you've got and that would sadden me.

I will throw this out there not as something I support but something I can see as a possibility.

Will they propse a two tiered payscale? I think they could get some support from the part-timers who have waited years to drive.