what would be most important about our next contract

UnconTROLLed

perfection
-Strong 9.5 language that does not segregate seniority list
-Sup working grievances penalties scaled 2x 3x 4x etc per infraction upon same supervisor or same job being performed by supervisors
-stronger 22.3 language, remove split pay for FT combo air drivers and give air drivers time and a half for hours worked / + daily guarantee on Holidays.

Those three are obvious

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The most critical language that needs to be addressed is in two parts but both connected in the everyday operation.

1) Electronic monitoring and the use of electronic information for discipline. Article 6 opened the door to this information and use, and we need to shut it down or severly limit its use. In addition, successor devices shall be prevented from being installed in package cars and feeder trucks (ie cameras, audio..etc etc)

2) Package delivery area language needs to be extended to cover new areas of concern. This language is outdated and its use almost ineffective. (ie changing of routes by constant re-looping/ mixing of delivery loops/ elimination of delivery routes and displacing seniority drivers/ more exact limitations against use of spohr and or production numbers)

There needs to be more defined rules to follow when the company removes a route and displaces a driver (rebidding/following work/loop consequences)

These two concerns are huge and the future for all drivers will depend on stronger language in this area.

Peace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1. raises, pension and benfits

If you had to choose one of these, which would you choose?

I would prefer a wage freeze or any wage increase diverted to the pension rather than having to pay for healthcare.

2. More jobs

This may be a tough sell as I see the company going in a different direction.

3. Fill open positions and faster

Agreed.

4. 22.3 jobs

Unfortunately I see the union using these as a concession on other issues.

5. 9.5 rules

The language needs to be strengthened and the penalty pay increased.

The Union needs to protect us from UPS expanding the use of technology as a discipline tool. The gap between PT and FT pay needs to be narrowed.

Oh, yeah, I want my birthday off as a paid holiday.

kuff

Stop ups from diverting volume to divisions like ups/mail. We need to keep all our volume. I see ups trying to work us out of a job.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I just wanted post a question, to see what we would want or what's most important for next contract.

A decent wage for the part-timers.

It is totally unacceptable for somone to have to pay an initiation fee and union dues for a minimum-wage job with no benefits.

I have voted "no" on every offer for the last 20 years and I will continue to vote "no" as long as our part-timers are earning minimum wage.

Braveheart

Stronger language protecting our job security and some examples eliminating or severely limiting telematics, technology, no cameras or audio, sporh stopped or specifically limited to use as a guide and no use in disipline etc etc.

30 AND OUT AT ANY AGE WITH THE ABILITY TO COMBINE PART-TIME YEARS AND FULL-TIME YEARS=RECIPROCITY!!! If you work 10 part-time years and 20 full-time then you would get 10/30 of the 30 year part time pension and 20/30 of the full-time pension. Strengthen the pension!

THEY NEED TO ADD A WAY FOR US TO BUY INTO EITHER THE UPS HEALTH CARE PLAN OR THE UNION HEALTHCARE PLAN AT ANY AGE IF WE GET TO 30 YEARS AND RETIRE. There are many walking wounded who have the years but not the age. We need something for us to fill in the gap! And no, the COBRA is not what I am talking about.

Harassment protection needs to be stronger for excessive rides and follows. You will get extra if you get hurt or have and accident but some managers abuse the hell out of this.

Stronger rights for lunch as some guys have to break to find food. This should be within reason.

Stronger seniority rights with elevating penalties added for violations.

More 8 hour days. The ability for full-timers to work Saturdays to make up for lost time due to comp for sure and even disability so as to make the 156 reports and for pension credit.

We have a pro rata for earning partial credit of vacation time if you are out on comp/disability, yet there is no pro rata for earning partial credit for option 3 days. It is either all or none. That needs to be fixed for sure. For every 40 reports you get 2 option days! The pro rata formula for the vacation time is not fair either. If you get 4 weeks and get over 120 reports you get 3 X 4=12 vacation days? Why not 3/4 of vacation time which would be 15 days?!! That needs to be fixed.

The flexability of the vacation time needs to be improved as well. WE NEED AN OPTION 4!!!!!! You would take a week of vacation time=45 hours and combine it with your option week/days=56/58 hours and 1 personal day=8 hours for 109/111 hours. Depending on how they add up the hours you would have either 13.625 or 13.875-- 8 hour credits so the 13 vs 14 paid days off would have to be negoitiated out. I think 14 is fair since you would round up. In an effort to please both sides you could say have only 4 option days no questions asked vs the old 7 to please UPS. Then you get 5 individual vacation days that can be picked in advance like vaction time. The last 5 would be a hybrid of sick time and vacation time. You could on a as needed basis asked for them in advance and be approved or still use it for sick time provided you bring in a note from the Dr or Dentist.

The contract needs to be altered for the new OPTION 4 and in general so UPS can not abuse the first days being option days. They always make us save our personal day for last knowing that it must be approved even when we give them a months notice they burn an option day.

We make great money so let us strengthen our rights, get some protections and increase our fexability. We should take smaller raises like a flat 50 cents per year=25 and 25 and that is it each year for 5-6 years. Heck if they contributed to our 401K's like management I would take a freeze in pay and no raises for 3-4 years if they would really do many of these things I mentioned above. The amount of money they would save/profit for either idea, smaller flat raises for 5-6 years or pay freeze for 3-4 would dwarf the increased costs of 401k contributions and the better contract language.

chuck7

I would like to see some kind of profit sharing program. If the company is going to keep drivers out on routes all night and constantly cut
routes to save a buck.Then maybe the company should share the profits with the drivers and other inside employee's instead of being so
greedy.

Just_another_day_at_work

Sorry I didn't write the most important thing, but more things.
1. 8 hour request is 8 hour work day not 8.5 hours. Instead of 5 days notice change it to 2-3 days.
2. 9.5 rules back to same as few years ago, a paper sheet posted and you just sign up for it if you don't want to work over 9.5. All drivers covered under it: cover drivers, drivers with rural routes.
3. Sups working was a mess here this year and when I count that even if they pay double time, it worth for the company instead of paying a driver with benefits. More penalty for sup working.
4. I don't like the idea of getting discharged based on computer data, do you guys remember of the old windows when died it's called Blue Death I believe. Technology is helping our business and accurate for most time, but again programs made by humans, and we do make mistakes. Now if the GPS shows that I was 10 miles away when I know I was at the right spot, how do I defend it?
5. I would love to see a 4 days working week like the Canadians have in their contract I believe, they have to work more during those 4 days though. I don't know if it would be possible to make it happen here...
6. Part timers need a big raise, I don't mind if I have no raises for few years for that.
7. A workplace where people are happy to come in to work every day. :)

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Stronger language protecting our job security and some examples eliminating or severely limiting telematics, technology, no cameras or audio, sporh stopped or specifically limited to use as a guide and no use in disipline etc etc.

Stronger lanuguage = terminated means terminated, use best demonstrated with telematics and ride use production in all cases.

30 AND OUT AT ANY AGE WITH THE ABILITY TO COMBINE PART-TIME YEARS AND FULL-TIME YEARS=RECIPROCITY!!! If you work 10 part-time years and 20 full-time then you would get 10/30 of the 30 year part time pension and 20/30 of the full-time pension. Strengthen the pension!

30 full time years = 30 full time 1/2 credit for PT years

THEY NEED TO ADD A WAY FOR US TO BUY INTO EITHER THE UPS HEALTH CARE PLAN OR THE UNION HEALTHCARE PLAN AT ANY AGE IF WE GET TO 30 YEARS AND RETIRE. There are many walking wounded who have the years but not the age. We need something for us to fill in the gap! And no, the COBRA is not what I am talking about.

Harassment protection needs to be stronger for excessive rides and follows. You will get extra if you get hurt or have and accident but some managers abuse the hell out of this.

Unlimited rides and follows = you are being supervised just like any other job.

Stronger rights for lunch as some guys have to break to find food. This should be within reason.

Bring your lunch...you make $29+ for crying out loud.

Stronger seniority rights with elevating penalties added for violations.

You want more pay if your seniority is higher? Are you not payed the same rate when you reach seniority??
1 - 8 hour request monthly - nature of the job. The ability for full-timers to work Saturdays to make up for lost time due to comp for sure and even disability (so you are injured and have been out of work and you want us to allow you to work so you can make up lost time and $$) so as to make the 156 reports and for pension credit.

We have a pro rata for earning partial credit of vacation time if you are out on comp/disability, yet there is no pro rata for earning partial credit for option 3 days. It is either all or none. That needs to be fixed for sure. For every 40 reports you get 2 option days! The pro rata formula for the vacation time is not fair either. If you get 4 weeks and get over 120 reports you get 3 X 4=12 vacation days? Why not 3/4 of vacation time which would be 15 days?!! That needs to be fixed.

Reduce vacation time to 40 hrs pay.

The flexability of the vacation time needs to be improved as well. WE NEED AN OPTION 4!!!!!! You would take a week of vacation time=45 hours and combine it with your option week/days=56/58 hours and 1 personal day=8 hours for 109/111 hours. Depending on how they add up the hours you would have either 13.625 or 13.875-- 8 hour credits so the 13 vs 14 paid days off would have to be negoitiated out. I think 14 is fair since you would round up. In an effort to please both sides you could say have only 4 option days no questions asked vs the old 7 to please UPS. Then you get 5 individual vacation days that can be picked in advance like vaction time. The last 5 would be a hybrid of sick time and vacation time. You could on a as needed basis asked for them in advance and be approved or still use it for sick time provided you bring in a note from the Dr or Dentist.

If anytime you call in "sick" you automatically burn a sick day, then personal day, then vacation day.

The contract needs to be altered for the new OPTION 4 and in general so UPS can not abuse the first days being option days. They always make us save our personal day for last knowing that it must be approved even when we give them a months notice they burn an option day.

We make great money so let us strengthen our rights, get some protections and increase our fexability. We should take smaller raises like a flat 50 cents per year=25 and 25 and that is it each year for 5-6 years. Heck if they contributed to our 401K's like management I would take a freeze in pay and no raises for 3-4 years if they would really do many of these things I mentioned above. The amount of money they would save/profit for either idea, smaller flat raises for 5-6 years or pay freeze for 3-4 would dwarf the increased costs of 401k contributions and the better contract language.

3% 401K match if you agree to all the language above including no pay raises for first 3 years of contract $1.00 each year last 2 yrs of contract.

Your turn:peaceful:

thessalonian13

1. raises, pension and benfits

If you had to choose one of these, which would you choose?

I would prefer a wage freeze or any wage increase diverted to the pension rather than having to pay for healthcare.

2. More jobs

This may be a tough sell as I see the company going in a different direction.

3. Fill open positions and faster

Agreed.

4. 22.3 jobs

Unfortunately I see the union using these as a concession on other issues.

5. 9.5 rules

The language needs to be strengthened and the penalty pay increased.

The Union needs to protect us from UPS expanding the use of technology as a discipline tool. The gap between PT and FT pay needs to be narrowed.

Oh, yeah, I want my birthday off as a paid holiday.
Why the wage freeze? The company is making billions... Our usual 2% to 3% wage increase would be fine...

Cementups

Box Monkey
Wow, all of this is overwhelming. I was just hoping for a twinkie on my driver's seat every morning when I punched in. I'm starting to think some of you are needy ;)