What would it take?

Serf

You sound just like someone coming from a rich country like Germany going to retire in a poor country telling those people there to stop complaining. Opportunity is all around you. Fact is, for most of us, if we were in our 20's we'd be long gone from this place. You only have to look at ground and the PT's at Express to see the revolving door of employees they have. The one's still here and not going anywhere are in their late 40's, 50's and even older. It's like ordering a meal and coming down to the last few bites only to find a hair. It's not very practical to vomit up the meal and order a new one. You're kinda stuck. A friend a was recently promoted and offered me to get my CDL and drive for them. Great money but, It would still mean start all over....and at the bottom.

I may sound like a wealthy individual coming from the outside that is telling people to stop complaining. And it's because of how frustrated when I read these responses. It's like they were copied from the same manual of lame excuses. I like your analogy of ordering a meal and finding hair in it. Your right, you probably wouldn't vomit it back up. But you WOULD either 1) complain and not want to pay for it. Or 2) Leave! And probably not eat there again. Sticking with the analogy, you found the hair in your meal, stayed, invited all your friends and family, and then found like minded individuals to talk to and complain with. That's the part that gets me.
Nobody is "kinda stuck". It's you are either are or aren't. You said so yourself, your friend offered you a CDL and a new opportunity. Start all over and from the bottom, or go down with the ship where you are. It takes balls and guts to make the change. It's take none of those things to complain about them. Good Luck.

Goldilocks

I may sound like a wealthy individual coming from the outside that is telling people to stop complaining. And it's because of how frustrated when I read these responses. It's like they were copied from the same manual of lame excuses. I like your analogy of ordering a meal and finding hair in it. Your right, you probably wouldn't vomit it back up. But you WOULD either 1) complain and not want to pay for it. Or 2) Leave! And probably not eat there again. Sticking with the analogy, you found the hair in your meal, stayed, invited all your friends and family, and then found like minded individuals to talk to and complain with. That's the part that gets me.
Nobody is "kinda stuck". It's you are either are or aren't. You said so yourself, your friend offered you a CDL and a new opportunity. Start all over and from the bottom, or go down with the ship where you are. It takes balls and guts to make the change. It's take none of those things to complain about them. Good Luck.[/quote

With respect, you are clueless

DontThrowPackages

Nobody is "kinda stuck". It's you are either are or aren't. You said so yourself, your friend offered you a CDL and a new opportunity. Start all over and from the bottom, or go down with the ship where you are. It takes balls and guts to make the change. It's take none of those things to complain about them. Good Luck.
Agree to a point. The complaining is rubbing you the wrong way. But understand, Memphis is on this broad reading everything. Imagine how much worse things would be if we were all sunshine and rainbows. They knew across the country SFA was gonna be in the dumps last year long before we even logged into Prism, from reading this site. Happy hands keeps his hands off camera now, because of this site. Complaining is good. Also complaining is a release for some guys as well. What better place to vent than on a site where everyone does the same gig as you? And for the record, I tell young guys who come up to me on the street, asking about how to get on here, not to bother. Back in the 90's, yeah, I'd invite my friends and family to come work here but no way now. Two things keep me here and if they go then I'm done.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Agree to a point. The complaining is rubbing you the wrong way. But understand, Memphis is on this broad reading everything. Imagine how much worse things would be if we were all sunshine and rainbows. They knew across the country SFA was gonna be in the dumps last year long before we even logged into Prism, from reading this site. Happy hands keeps his hands off camera now, because of this site. Complaining is good. Also complaining is a release for some guys as well. What better place to vent than on a site where everyone does the same gig as you? And for the record, I tell young guys who come up to me on the street, asking about how to get on here, not to bother. Back in the 90's, yeah, I'd invite my friends and family to come work here but no way now. Two things keep me here and if they go then I'm done.

I agree. If just one person changes their mind and decides to go somewhere else to work, it's a victory. It's a win-win because Fred loses a potentially talented employee and that individual gets to avoid wasting their time and effort on FedEx. And if Happy Hands has to have his digits tied behind his back when he is on camera...hooray!! I have no way of knowing if this site has anything to do with it, but I certainly hope so.

Serf

Their are SOME benefits to complaining. It seems safe to say the overwhelming majority of employees feel the same way. And to your sentiment and MrFedEx's sentiment they will reap what the sow. Over the past several years the new hires that have come in are porous at best. I am quite certain the only job requirements that were on whatever classified ad they read were : "must have four limbs and a pulse." As there have been 7 new hires for courier or shuttle driver in my station. 4 resignations, 2 employees who think the word "work" is a four letter word, and as such move as fast as molasses. And me.
That might not seem like a big deal right now. But down the road in 5-7 years, it's going to be dysfunctional. Especially since the world does more and more online shopping. To keep up with the demands FedEx will ask it's Army of mouth-breathers to get the job done, and it won't happen. Boom! Hope and Change?!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Their are SOME benefits to complaining. It seems safe to say the overwhelming majority of employees feel the same way. And to your sentiment and MrFedEx's sentiment they will reap what the sow. Over the past several years the new hires that have come in are porous at best. I am quite certain the only job requirements that were on whatever classified ad they read were : "must have four limbs and a pulse." As there have been 7 new hires for courier or shuttle driver in my station. 4 resignations, 2 employees who think the word "work" is a four letter word, and as such move as fast as molasses. And me.
That might not seem like a big deal right now. But down the road in 5-7 years, it's going to be dysfunctional. Especially since the world does more and more online shopping. To keep up with the demands FedEx will ask it's Army of mouth-breathers to get the job done, and it won't happen. Boom! Hope and Change?!

It's already dysfunctional. You haven't been here long enough to see the rapid downward spiral. Without Ground, FedEx would be in extreme trouble.

CJinx

It's already dysfunctional. You haven't been here long enough to see the rapid downward spiral. Without Ground, FedEx would be in extreme trouble.
I don't think that's true; the company as a whole likely would not be nearly as profitable as it is now but I highly doubt it would be underwater. Make no mistake about it, Express is profitable; just not as profitable as the leaders of the company and investors would like.

Goldilocks

Sounds like Mooo position. But, hey I dont blame him for taking it....A wise old manager, who was fired, once told me " Work smart not hard"

Serf

Maybe I missed this part, however...

Why are you a P.T. shuttle driver, with all YOUR skills?

Because after leaving the Military, I decided to open my own business. And after carefully weighing my options, I decided that I could use supplemental income, take advantage of a good dental plan, and have a second 401k/PPA. For me, it's cheaper than what I would pay out of my own pocket. Also, as I have stated before; I chose a shuttler driver position over a courier slot. The pay is almost the same, the schedule is better for me, and I don't have the aggravation that you guys do.