What would you do?

kingOFchester

You are at a house that has notes in DIAD to DR all packages to front porch. Rural area, long driveway and a long sidewalk. You have an over 70 particle board bookshelf that you load on to your hand truck, wheel it up the driveway, down the sidewalk and up the porch steps. As you take it off the hand truck the customer comes out and says "oh, that needs to go to the garage." You respond by saying that they have requested all deliveries to be made to the porch. Their response is "when I am home the deliveries need to go to the garage". Now I am suppose to determine whether the customer is home??

Anyway, would you have loaded it back on the cart and taken to the garage? This is not a customer that I know and also keep in mind it wasn't a friendly request but rather an order.

BTW, I took it to the garage while mumbling some explicit things to myself.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You are at a house that has notes in DIAD to DR all packages to front porch. Rural area, long driveway and a long sidewalk. You have an over 70 particle board bookshelf that you load on to your hand truck, wheel it up the driveway, down the sidewalk and up the porch steps. As you take it off the hand truck the customer comes out and says "oh, that needs to go to the garage." You respond by saying that they have requested all deliveries to be made to the porch. Their response is "when I am home the deliveries need to go to the garage". Now I am suppose to determine whether the customer is home??

Anyway, would you have loaded it back on the cart and taken to the garage? This is not a customer that I know and also keep in mind it wasn't a friendly request but rather an order.

There's a lot of things I would like to do in that situation, but you probably did the right thing.

kingOFchester

I thought about sending message to center requesting help to move the over 70 to garage. Tell the customer I wasn't comfortable taking the package down the steps. But i would only be screwing the guy next to me.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would have done the same thing, I would have also talked to the regular driver and asked if that note should be in the diad.

kingOFchester

I would have done the same thing, I would have also talked to the regular driver and asked if that note should be in the diad.

Its a split that gets moved between me and another driver. It is a rather new "note". Also customer did recognize that there is a request to use front porch.

barnyard

KTM rider
Customer just wanted it in the garage because that is where it is being assembled. Had nothing to do with being home. I wish people would just say, "You know, it would be really easier for me, if you put that big thing in the garage." Don't lie, lying just pisses people off, particularly me.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
That reminds me of the time that I had a large over 70 cabinet. I backed into the driveway(yes, I know). I spied her watching me from the window as I struggle to get it out of the truck, onto the hand truck and the rest of the way to the door. I knock, she comes to the door and has the audacity to say she was supposed to refuse it. Why did she not come out when she saw me unloading it? I did not say a word but if my eyes shot lasers....

you did what the majority of us would have done.

tarbar66

Every driver has met customers like these. Most people like their regular driver more than the split drivers.

If the this p-i-t-a customer knew what we had to say about them I wonder if they would request instead of ordering us around!

oldupsman

You did exactly the right thing. And I would have done the same as you. No sense causing a problem when
there's no need too. Part of the job is keeping your cool.

Re-Raise

I would have taken it to the garage in this instance because I had the handcart and it seemed like a reasonable request. I have refused to do things customers have "told" me to do in the past.

There have been times I have looked at the person and asked" Are you telling me to do something or are you asking me to do something? Because you are going to have a lot more luck with one of those?"

barnyard

KTM rider
On Thursday, I had 2 bunkbeds for a house, 10 boxes, 6 over 70. Backed into the driveway, went to the door to ask if they would open the door and I would put them in the garage. Dude says, "I would really rather have it here on the porch, so I can bring it right in the house."

No problemo.

Thinking about it, I do that most of the time if a resi has a large PITA shipment. Which is really odd for me. I usually have the credo of "work harder not smarter."

I am 48, is this old dog really learning a new trick????

stink219

For me it all has to do with age of the person. I'm a softy for old stinky people in diapers. So with exception of the elderly, a pregnant woman or the handicapped, I would inform the customer to chose only one place for deliveries.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Oh I would of done what u did but I'd remember that stop also. That long drive wouldn't be getting packages if there's an inch of snow on the ground. Lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For me it all has to do with age of the person. I'm a softy for old stinky people in diapers. So with exception of the elderly, a pregnant woman or the handicapped, I would inform the customer to chose only one place for deliveries.[/QUOTE]

Yes I've told many a businesses they get one delivery point. The worst about this seem to be people who run their business out of their home. Problem is they usually call and complain and the oms tell them whatever they want to hear.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yes I've told many a businesses they get one delivery point. The worst about this seem to be people who run their business out of their home. Problem is they usually call and complain and the oms tell them whatever they want to hear.

I was surprised at a business in a bank building. I have 10 cases of paper and a receptionist met me with a slip of paper that had a list of rooms with how much paper was delivered to each room. I said, "You can have it all in one spot, this is the normal delivery point and if you want to change the delivery point, that is where I will go every day."

Turned out, the regular driver would not go to each office, but would deliver paper to different floors. He bid off the route and I was covering until the bid sheet was hung. I took that opportunity to break that habit.

bl04a

I would've left it right at the front door and told them that they could take it to the garage and said good-bye

Cementups

Box Monkey
On Thursday, I had 2 bunkbeds for a house, 10 boxes, 6 over 70. Backed into the driveway, went to the door to ask if they would open the door and I would put them in the garage. Dude says, "I would really rather have it here on the porch, so I can bring it right in the house."

No problemo.

Thinking about it, I do that most of the time if a resi has a large PITA shipment. Which is really odd for me. I usually have the credo of "work harder not smarter."

I am 48, is this old dog really learning a new trick????

This is pretty much what I do every time. I will check to see if someone is home and see where they want it cause I'm not moving it twice. If not home then it's my choice.