What would you do?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are at a house that has notes in DIAD to DR all packages to front porch. Rural area, long driveway and a long sidewalk. You have an over 70 particle board bookshelf that you load on to your hand truck, wheel it up the driveway, down the sidewalk and up the porch steps. As you take it off the hand truck the customer comes out and says "oh, that needs to go to the garage." You respond by saying that they have requested all deliveries to be made to the porch. Their response is "when I am home the deliveries need to go to the garage". Now I am suppose to determine whether the customer is home??

Anyway, would you have loaded it back on the cart and taken to the garage? This is not a customer that I know and also keep in mind it wasn't a friendly request but rather an order.

BTW, I took it to the garage while mumbling some explicit things to myself.

I would take it to the garage while mumbling some explicit things to myself.

Speedy Cerviche

I love the methods. They, like the government, allow me to be free from conscious thought.

I mostly kid. The methods are a solid foundation to a safe workday, being able to repeat them verbatim however misses the mark.

Justaname

You are at a house that has notes in DIAD to DR all packages to front porch. Rural area, long driveway and a long sidewalk. You have an over 70 particle board bookshelf that you load on to your hand truck, wheel it up the driveway, down the sidewalk and up the porch steps. As you take it off the hand truck the customer comes out and says "oh, that needs to go to the garage." You respond by saying that they have requested all deliveries to be made to the porch. Their response is "when I am home the deliveries need to go to the garage". Now I am suppose to determine whether the customer is home??

Anyway, would you have loaded it back on the cart and taken to the garage? This is not a customer that I know and also keep in mind it wasn't a friendly request but rather an order.

BTW, I took it to the garage while mumbling some explicit things to myself.
In my opinion you did the right thing. You probably didn't even get a thank you,but if you would of refused to move the package it could of turned out worse. In today's world they probably would of called corporate looking to get you fired (not that it could) or a refund on shipping or something stupid like that.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I'm in feeders now. I would wake up from my nap and scream, "Fluck you and your stupid box. I sat on it and TRIED to hold my business, but this being America, I outsourced my outcastings to your Chinese cardboard, and, well, that's quite a mess on your porch. See ya." Then I go back to sleep, because I have to be at work at 9:30 PM. And I would finish my job at 10:30 in the AM and accept my 12 and half hours, and realize that, A, I ***** at the interstate rest stop, and B, I gave up package car, because my hernia was sore.

Deliver it to the garage and move on. Its your job to provide service and you have the equipment. I don't know the tone of voice that was used by the customer but is it really worth creating a possible issue/problem. You would forget about it 5 minutes down the road anyway and if you didn't than that's a whole other issue.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the note says leave all deliveries at front door, that is what should be done. Maybe you should unpack the item and put it together for them to since we are United Parcel Service.

...or maybe you should get off your ass and do the job the right way...

Would you consider this to be the right way to deliver a bulk stop?
Delivery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nocturnalbuck

I was delivering a large over 125lb pkg to a old run down house. I saw the customer had handicapped license plates so I thought I'd be nice and get this thing into the customer's house. I dragged it up 5-6 steps to the front door and proceeded to bring it into the house while the customer held the door and was thanking me all the way. As I parked it in her kitchen, she asks me, "what is it?" I thought, oh sh* please NO!! I looked and it was some sort of safe.
She says she wants to refuse it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was delivering a large over 125lb pkg to a old run down house. I saw the customer had handicapped license plates so I thought I'd be nice and get this thing into the customer's house. I dragged it up 5-6 steps to the front door and proceeded to bring it into the house while the customer held the door and was thanking me all the way. As I parked it in her kitchen, she asks me, "what is it?" I thought, oh sh* please NO!! I looked and it was some sort of safe. She says she wants to refuse it.

At that point you say to yourself "Stupid bitch!" as you haul it back to the pkg car.

Salem

...or maybe you should get off your ass and do the job the right way...

Would you consider this to be the right way to deliver a bulk stop?

Has nothing to do with my ass, everything to do with instructions in the diad. The pic has to many variables to comment. It looks like a pile...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Has nothing to do with my ass, everything to do with instructions in the diad. The pic has to many variables to comment. It looks like a pile...

So if the homeowner is standing there and "asks" you to put the pkg in the garage you are going to tell him no because of a c-pad note?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a stereo cabinet last week. It weighed 135. I struggled to get it to the front porch and up the stairs whiile 3 perfectly fit looking young men watched on. Then they wanted it in the dining room...........I had another exact replica this week, somehow I got it up on the porch dumped it, (quietly)knocked and went back to my truck. She was yelling as I drove away. I was not going to step through the dog crap (yes in the house) and get by the dogs, again, that of course will not bite me, not again.

Salem

So if the homeowner is standing there and "asks" you to put the pkg in the garage you are going to tell him no because of a c-pad note?

Yes, believe it or not I had an issue with this. Had a corporate complaint called in because I didnt follow instructions in diad. I go to deliver to this multi million dollar house that has notes in diad to deliver to garage. So I go to garage to drop pacakage like normal. The lady of the house says "sir can you please put that at the front door for me" I tell her sure thats no problem. Well about two hours later I get a message from the center to go back to that address and take package to garage like the diad says.....I send them back and tell them the customer requested me to leave at the front door. My sup calls me and says to get over there right now and work as instructed. So I go over there and walk the package 20 yards around to the garage while the man of the house is telling me I should do my job correctly and be thankful I'm not gonna get fired for this....WTF?? Well this guy was a corporate employeee and he got me a warning letter for this. I only did what his wife requested me to do. There are lots of corporate that live in our delivery area. Roswell-Alpharetta, Ga. So from that day on if it has a note for front door or garage door that is where it goes period. To many pricks in our area.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would have done as the customer requested................................................................ the first time. After that, I would politely explain to the customer that there is one delivery point and if you (customer) want your packages delivered to another point when you are home then you need to come out and let me know that you are home. Otherwise, it's a front porch delivery.

EmraldArcher

Are we allowed to go into people's houses? I don't mind take a step or two passed the front door to set a heavy/bulky package inside but I would never go farther then that even if we're allowed to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are we allowed to go into people's houses? I don't mind take a step or two passed the front door to set a heavy/bulky package inside but I would never go farther then that even if we're allowed to.

Good question.

If you don't know the person then by all means do not go further than the one or two steps you described above.

If you know them make sure to clean up after yourself after you are done. It is the polite thing to do.

raceanoncr

Corporate approved protocol for such situations:

If homeowner/resident/person at the front door that is requesting/ordering delivery procedures is a HOT babe, turn on shoe cam, work as directed by her then proceed to get phone number. If successful in obtaining phone number when delivery procedure is complete, then proceed to usual pick-up manuevers. If UNsuccessful in obtaining phone number when delivery procedure is complete, then proceed to stalking such person on all days off.

If homeowner/resident/person at the front door that is requesting/ordering delivery procedures is NOT a hot babe, turn around and run as fast as you can!

If homeowner/resident/person at the front door that is requestiong/ordering delivery proceddures is a DUDE, then proceed with your Sam Champion routine.

raceanoncr

United Parcel Service.

Uh, uh. I have to respectfully disagree.

There is no more United Parcel Service.

Although you, I and, almost, everyone here and with the company will continue to TRY to provide SERVICE, as we have in the past, the name has been officially changed to UPS. No more SERVICE.

Sad, but the new name, yes it is official, seems to reflect the new attitude. Just hit the numbers and forget about SERVICE.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Policy is - No, we are not allowed to go past the threshold. With that having been said - if I have an elderly customer (whom is obviously going to have a difficult time with handling a large heavy pkg) that has requested that I bring the package in, then generally I will. This is subject to ............ the customer and my mood.