What would you do?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Here is the scenario.

Last Friday we received our next day air late. I ended up getting another 30 stops of air.

In that air there was a package of medication. Not long after I get ODS asking whether I had said package on my car. It was 10K worth of medication. I inform OMS that it is not sig required though it is high value.

Later still, I get another message stating that it must be delivered as customer needs meds. ETA? I responded that I would be there at 5 ish.

I arrive at location at 5. No customer to receive package.

Here is my issue. How dare this shipper try to skirt this package through the system with out it being controlled by the high value system. Just because they do not want to pay the little extra charge to attach an Adult signature to the tracking and yet they were the ones hounding me 2 times that day demanding that I deliver that package. If they want assurances then it better be signature required.

What would you do with package?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I would Dr it. If it isn't SIG required or a declared high value, then don't stress about it. If they want it treated as a H.V. then they need to pay as such

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

You know what drives our LP people the craziest? When the HV clerk is gone, and they don't fill that position, and all HV packages just thrown onto the belt, not controlled. Moral of the story....shipper may have put value on package, just UPS failed to do what they should of done.

9.5er

Did you wait for the air at the hub or did they shuttle it to you on your route? If you were already on the route the clerk could not inform you of the HV by having you sign the paperwork.
I had two HV packages yesterday. Neither of them were signature required packages.

gman042

I would Dr it. If it isn't SIG required or a declared high value, then don't stress about it. If they want it treated as a H.V. then they need to pay as such

Sent using BrownCafe App

I released the package to the Garage.

Now here is the rest of the story. On my way home I get a phone call from PM sup.
She wanted to know why I DRd that package to the garage when I was told that it was worth 10k.
We had this lengthy discussion of what the HV system was for and since the package was not a controlled high value then I did what the bar code on the package said I could do. Not only that, I was hounded twice that day about that particular package and how bad it was needed by the customer. Did they really want to wait the weekend for Monday to come for another attempt?

I do not care if the shipper plastered sig req stickers all over that package(which it did not), if the bar code does not reflect what the shipper wants it is driver released.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
I released the package to the Garage.

Now here is the rest of the story. On my way home I get a phone call from PM sup.
She wanted to know why I DRd that package to the garage when I was told that it was worth 10k.
We had this lengthy discussion of what the HV system was for and since the package was not a controlled high value then I did what the bar code on the package said I could do. Not only that, I was hounded twice that day about that particular package and how bad it was needed by the customer. Did they really want to wait the weekend for Monday to come for another attempt?

I do not care if the shipper plastered sig req stickers all over that package(which it did not), if the bar code does not reflect what the shipper wants it is driver released.
I would've called a supervisor and found out what they wanted me to do especially since they already told you it was a $10,000 package. CYA always. Don't put yourself at risk to prove a point about the high value procedures not being followed.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
I generally would agree with you on dr'ing based on what the barcode and diad allows you to do but they did inform you that it was high value. I have my supervisors cell number and always let him make the call in situations like this. I don't think you did anything wrong but they could harass you about it.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Typical crap move by management. You weigh the options and safely DR the package and you get in trouble because it's a high value. If you had gone the other way and brought it back, they would have dinged you "because the customer needs it." Kobe Ashi Maru.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Typical crap move by management. You weigh the options and safely DR the package and you get in trouble because it's a high value. If you had gone the other way and brought it back, they would have dinged you "because the customer needs it." Kobe Ashi Maru.
They told him it was a high value. Genius decided to DR it anyway. Its not exactly rocket science.

Management wants an eta and tells you it's worth 10k. You reply with something like. After 5pm. Please make sure the customer knows they will need to be there to sign for it.

All bases covered and you won't be fired if its stolen.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'd ask the OMS when they want me there and how I should deliver it. I'd follow the incoming instructions barring it doesn't violate policy or safety procedures, then let the chips fall where they may.

I guess this is also why I have been given only one single warning letter in 15 years as well.

QKRSTKR

But what he is saying is that it wasn't a controlled H V package. There was no signature required. IF the ods message wouldn't have told him, he would have had no way of knowing. I have had plenty of controlled HV packages that weren't sig. Required, however we still need to follow HV procedures. No dr. No left at or sdn.

No way though I would have left it knowing that it was that much.

9.5er

My question is, why was the customer not home. He told them when he would be there. They should have made arrangements to be home.
That really irritates me. In the past I've had OMS ask when I will be at someones place but then I get there and no one is around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My question is, why was the customer not home. He told them when he would be there. They should have made arrangements to be home.
That really irritates me. In the past I've had OMS ask when I will be at someones place but then I get there and no one is around.

Two weeks the OMS asked me to call a consignee to set up a meet point for his signature required send again. I told her I don't go meet points. She then asked what time I thought I would be there. Told her and was within 5 minutes of my ETA.

Sent using BrownCafe App

gman042

But what he is saying is that it wasn't a controlled H V package. There was no signature required. IF the ods message wouldn't have told him, he would have had no way of knowing. I have had plenty of controlled HV packages that weren't sig. Required, however we still need to follow HV procedures. No dr. No left at or sdn.

No way though I would have left it knowing that it was that much.
YES!
No repercussions. Consignee was glad to get package.
I will not have someone dying over the weekend because they did have their meds on on my conscience.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have a service called my choice. Tell management to sell it. Just one more time commit in this cluster mess.
Since I am on Orion, I tell them look at my mapping plus or minus 3 hours......You want to guarantee your time, pay for NDA, pay for my choice, and the OMS needs to learn to tell them such. Dont bug me with this idiocrisy. Its just a customer, its not miles. No I dont know where I will be at 12.