What would you do ?

By The Book

No, my preload rate....the entire is paid at preload...I worked 245am-910pm...less an hour for lunch...paid at OT after 5 hours. No, I don't have a dot card...am not allowing to drive the truck.
If I remember correctly your on the 10 year plan. Did you ever sign up for new driver classes, etc.? Enjoy the money and get some rest. Those are wicked hours!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If I remember correctly your on the 10 year plan. Did you ever sign up for new driver classes, etc.? Enjoy the money and get some rest. Those are wicked hours!
CAM00002.jpg

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I do like your black and white, no bs posts. If a majority of us stood up for ourselves and filed on what ups agreed to in the contract we would have things much easier. What I'm finding is no on wants to put a target on themselves. I guess we would rather bend over for the boss and never return the favor. I don't bend over! J Football, are you a steward or just a passionate person with a strong belief system?
Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. If our own members would just stand up for themselves , and enforce the contract things would be much better. But , sadly as you know , that is not how it is. I try my best to help inform members of there rights , but it is up to them if they want to stand up for themselves and deal with the management harassment and intimidation that will follow. And it will, and that is what our new contract was suppose to address , sadly it did not. And no , I am not the steward in my center , although many people wish I was.

10 point

So if you go to a residential address and the package needs to be signed for be someone atthe address (anyone) and the person that answers the door refuses to sign do you sheet it as ni1 and comeback tomorrow or do you sheet is as refused ????

Ni1 is used when no one is there or a adult isn't there to sign for a over 21 package. It not used for when a person doesn't what to sign for a package, be it a business or resi. Also refusal to sign is the same thing as refusing the package.
If the person who answers the door says " I (or we) dont want the package" it's refused.

If it's addressed to a specific person (like at a dorm room or residence occupied by more than one person) and the person that answers the door says "I dont want to sign for their package and they aren't home now" it's NI 1,2, or 3.

If they say "John isn't here but he said to refuse that package/delivery it's Refused.

I get paid by the hour and don't want to have to explain why I purposely sent someone's pkg back because the person it was addressed to was Not In and no one at that address said to send it back refused.

Last edited:

By The Book

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. If our own members would just stand up for themselves , and enforce the contract things would be much better. But , sadly as you know , that is not how it is. I try my best to help inform members of there rights , but it is up to them if they want to stand up for themselves and deal with the management harassment and intimidation that will follow. And it will, and that is what our new contract was suppose to address , sadly it did not. And no , I am not the steward in my center , although many people wish I was.
If you were in my center I would ask my ba to appoint you. When you stand up for the members and treat everyone equal the members begin to trust you and at least have a better understanding of what they are entitled to. How many drivers do you have in your building approximately? How many full time stewards? I'm a steward and hopefully the members think I have their back. The contract you would think is easy to enforce but it's the gray area stuff that seems to be more of the problem. Off the clock work, working on vacation, switching vacations, coming off bids to drive other routes, etc. each issue seems to be different based on the circumstances. If you can always represent the driver/employee and sometimes they screw up,you need to tell them to take their lumps and own it.

By The Book

I have never heard the term "utility driver" off BC...what is it exactly?
In our supplement and sort rider it says the company shall hire utility drivers. These drivers are part-time employees Who by seniority cover absentees, overflow work, etc. in our case they are our Saturday drivers who eventually get called up to full-time driving. Look in the contents of your contract book in the master, supplement, and sort rider if your local has these.lmk

By The Book

Looks like local 804 has a full time helper position and a recently negotiated full time combination helper position. These can only be like 7% of the drivers. The combos can't reduce the number of full time helpers. There are full time positions here turned into helper jobs. Sad really.

upschuck

I have never heard the term "utility driver" off BC...what is it exactly?
Here, a utility driver is a FT driver who does not have a route. We probably have 20+ of them. I got lucky and got a route relatively quickly, within a couple years, but some have been that why for over 10 years. There are even a couple who like it. A utility driver has no guarantee of driving work from day to day.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Here, a utility driver is a FT driver who does not have a route. We probably have 20+ of them. I got lucky and got a route relatively quickly, within a couple years, but some have been that why for over 10 years. There are even a couple who like it. A utility driver has no guarantee of driving work from day to day.

We call those drivers "unassigned" officially and in our supplement and "swing drivers" unofficially. They always have an 8 hour guarantee.

Sent using BrownCafe App

By The Book

We call those drivers "unassigned" officially and in our supplement and "swing drivers" unofficially. They always have an 8 hour guarantee.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Our unassigned drivers have an 8 hour guarantee, but no bid route. Our utility drivers go on road with sups usually to cover absentees. If a utility driver went out here on their own they wouldn't have the 8 hour guarantee.